Author Topic: I'm THINKING!  (Read 7488 times)

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
I'm THINKING!
« on: October 12, 2006, 01:06:16 AM »
When Benry was told that they have a boat, he stopped for a minute and started thinking...

2 questions: What was he thinking, and why did he take so long?

Also, notice how when he thought about the plane crash and what to do, he acted immediately, whereas here, he took a while.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: I'm THINKING!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 01:11:29 AM »
Because doing things like dealing with people and experimenting with them, messin' with their heads -- THAT he's been part of all his life (either as the experimenter or the experimentee).

But, a boat? Suddenly he must think he has *options* ... a way out? This is news to him. People coming to the island has happened before (balloon, Rousseau's party). But no one with a working sailboat.

I think he has to scramble to think of what to do because he wants his options with the boat.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 01:11:50 AM »
He was thinking of what to do. and then he told them what to do

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 01:17:34 AM »
Right, Juggy... I was thinking it was important because we've never seen him hesitate like that.

To Au... they had a boat which, evidently, can reach "home" and they knew how to get there "follow a bearing of..."

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 01:19:06 AM »
Well, yes, but apparently that boat is now gone. He needs a boat.

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 01:19:59 AM »
OR ... (lol)

... He is just very concerned that the Losties will indeed use the boat and inadvertently "find" the Others one day. So, the "I want that boat" is just a way of saying, "We need to get that boat AWAY FROM THEM."

Offline musicotb

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 01:20:10 AM »
Sorry as I'm blanking on a name, but perhaps he was thinking back to the guy that Desmond accidentally killed, the guy that was in the hatch with him. Because that guy was the original one with the boat (I;m forgetting where he said he got the boat, or if he did) - maybe Ben was making a connection

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 01:23:24 AM »
OR ... (lol)

... He is just very concerned that the Losties will indeed use the boat and inadvertently "find" the Others one day. So, the "I want that boat" is just a way of saying, "We need to get that boat AWAY FROM THEM."

I think this is the main reason he wanted the boat.

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 01:27:18 AM »
maybe he was just really surprised that they got one over on him. Thought he knew everything?

Desmond refered the the others as "Hostiles" in S2 finale so he must have had an interaction with them at some point and others never told ben about it. Or maybe others never knew about desmond. don't know and probably never will.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 01:32:02 AM »
possibly... I'm just wondering, if Des sailed in circles for how long, Hw did they not see the boat?

Offline kkehoe5

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 01:35:15 AM »
Really big circles?

mindsparkle

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 01:35:34 AM »
I also think Ben could pause and hesitate because he didn't have an audience.... it was only his girlfriends, the old one Juliet and the new one Colleen... ohhh, the tension in that scene

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2006, 01:37:52 AM »
lol... we don't know who his GFs are... ;D

Offline Garrobo28

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 01:50:16 AM »
Desmond did refer to the Others as "The Hostiles" at the end of S2, and I'm sure he interacted with them...

Benry and his minions want the boat, it seems to me, in order to keep the Losties from getting to their village - that is, for their own security. They seem very much afraid of Sayid, which is awesome. I think Sayid will save all of them from their captors...

Also, three interactions worth noting:

Benry and Colleen (woman who informed Benry about the boat) - notice some sexual tension there?

Colleen and Juliette - some apparent hostilty between them. Gave Juliette the "bitch" look

Colleen and Danny (guy who kissed her) - Relationship of sorts? Sawyer took notice, and he's the master player

It appears, just as the producers had foretold, that these Others are divided among themselves, and we're just beginning to see the rifts. 

And a final parting thought... did Benry introduce himself to Jack as "Benjamin Linus, and I have lived on this island all my life."???

Is that really his last name, "Linus"???

"...all my life" = ~ 35 years? That puts is in 1970s, back when the Dharma Initiative began experiments there. Dharma leftovers?

« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 02:01:55 AM by Garrobo28 »

mindsparkle

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 01:51:03 AM »
we can speculate about his girlfriends... although, I really don't believe they ever were... I think it's more of a power struggle or fighting for position... who's getting next to the boss... you see it all the time in corporations...

Why did Juliet back away from the door after she knocked... it didn't open out that way... it's like she gave Ben lots of room... just felt odd... ideas?