Author Topic: Red Sox win the Series  (Read 9907 times)

San Diego Johnny

Re: Red Sox win the Series
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2006, 12:11:48 AM »
Just so I can make sure use Brits are understanding properly:

Did the Red Sox win the World Series in 2004? Was that genuine footage?

They sometimes show baseball here on minority channels late at night, but very few people pay attention. So I think I missed tons of nuance in that scene.
Yes, what was remarkable about it was mentioned by Ben.  They were down 3 games in the American League Championship Series and came back to win 4 in a row against their arch-rivals the New York Yankees.  Then they won four straight against the St. Louis Cardinals, the National League entrant.  This broke years of heartbreak for Red Sox fans who saw their team lose in 1946, 1967, 1975 and 1986 in the World Series as well as other heartbreaks.  This is why Jack was so unbelieving and why he was joyful when he saw the footage. 

Michelle13

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2006, 03:13:46 PM »
Just so I can make sure use Brits are understanding properly:

Did the Red Sox win the World Series in 2004? Was that genuine footage?

They sometimes show baseball here on minority channels late at night, but very few people pay attention. So I think I missed tons of nuance in that scene.
Yes, what was remarkable about it was mentioned by Ben.  They were down 3 games in the American League Championship Series and came back to win 4 in a row against their arch-rivals the New York Yankees.  Then they won four straight against the St. Louis Cardinals, the National League entrant.  This broke years of heartbreak for Red Sox fans who saw their team lose in 1946, 1967, 1975 and 1986 in the World Series as well as other heartbreaks.  This is why Jack was so unbelieving and why he was joyful when he saw the footage. 

And wasn't it the most awesome comeback of all times?? Weren't they even losing in their last game and just suddenly out of nowhere came back to win it and then move on!?!? I can't remember.

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2006, 04:17:02 PM »
And wasn't it the most awesome comeback of all times?? Weren't they even losing in their last game and just suddenly out of nowhere came back to win it and then move on!?!? I can't remember.

The Yankees were up 3 games to 0 and could taste a berth in the World Series.  The Red Sox were down 4-3 in their last at bat, Kevin Millar walked and Dave Roberts pinch ran for him.  Roberts stole second base in the most celebrated steal in Red Sox history.  To this day, fans send him bases and pictures for him to sign to him in San Diego.  Bill Mueller, the Red Sox third basemen then hit a long single on which the speedy Roberts scored to tie the game and to throw it into extra innings.  David Ortiz, "Big Papi," won the game for the Red Sox in the 12th inning so the Red Sox could live another day, sending all the Yankee fans who were looking for a sweep home disappointed.  Then they won the next three knocking out the "Bronx Bombers" and as said above going on to sweep the Cardinals to win their first World Series since 1918. 

Michelle13

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2006, 04:38:08 PM »

The Yankees were up 3 games to 0 and could taste a berth in the World Series.  The Red Sox were down 4-3 in their last at bat, Kevin Millar walked and Dave Roberts pinch ran for him.  Roberts stole second base in the most celebrated steal in Red Sox history.  To this day, fans send him bases and pictures for him to sign to him in San Diego.  Bill Mueller, the Red Sox third basemen then hit a long single on which the speedy Roberts scored to tie the game and to throw it into extra innings.  David Ortiz, "Big Papi," won the game for the Red Sox in the 12th inning so the Red Sox could live another day, sending all the Yankee fans who were looking for a sweep home disappointed.  Then they won the next three knocking out the "Bronx Bombers" and as said above going on to sweep the Cardinals to win their first World Series since 1918. 

I'm all about the "underdogs" so I was all about Boston sending the Yankees home crying! I knew they could do it....love em.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2006, 11:45:04 PM »
hehe, such as your avatar, Chelle ;)

Thanks for the recap, Johnny... I didn't really pay that much attention until Game 6 or so.

Michelle13

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2006, 11:58:51 PM »
hehe, such as your avatar, Chelle ;)

Thanks for the recap, Johnny... I didn't really pay that much attention until Game 6 or so.

such as my avatar???

scrod

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2006, 12:02:10 AM »
sig, avatar.  why quibble over technical terms

Michelle13

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2006, 12:08:36 AM »
sig, avatar.  why quibble over technical terms

OH! lol I was looking at my avatar thinking what the heck is he trying to say...so i assumed i was stupid. lol NOW i understand. lol Thanks Scrod

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2006, 12:24:47 AM »
Sorry Chelle... I meant signature. lol

San Diego Johnny

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2006, 05:44:10 PM »
Point of information, in case a Sox fan calls me on it, "last at bat" should be "last inning at bat" in my summary of the 2004 ALCS comeback and crushing of the evil New York Yankees. 

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2006, 07:43:25 PM »
I wouldn't have called ya... I don't really care, just as long as they win.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2006, 11:47:05 PM »

I'm all about the "underdogs" so I was all about Boston sending the Yankees home crying! I knew they could do it....love em.

Only time i have ever rooted for an American team to win.....

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2006, 01:44:34 AM »
i am an american league fan all the way 

stop hitting me GJ   ;D