Author Topic: Sun loses her ring...and loses her ring  (Read 3196 times)

Offline tmvp

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Sun loses her ring...and loses her ring
« on: October 10, 2006, 05:22:05 PM »
My husband and I ended up missing several of the later episodes for Season 2 due to forgetting to insert a new disc in our recorder.  So we've been recently watching the DVDs...and hopefully won't miss recording any episodes for Season 3 before we can make our way through all of Season 2.  We were recently rewatching Everyone Hates Hugo, when it came to the scene where Sun is burying the bottle of messages.  I remembered that we had caught the next episode where Sun realizes she is missing her ring.  So I thought to pay close attention to the bottle burying scene to see if they got the continuity correct with losing her ring in the sand.

I got all excited when I initially noticed a glint of her ring on the tv from across the room, as she buried the bottle and how it was gone from her hand when she pulled them out of the sand before standing up...I thought "cool, they actually showed her losing her ring and got the continuity right on this storyline for the next episode."

Alas my excitement eventually changed to disappointment when I reviewed the DVD on my computer and watched this scene again only to notice something was wrong.  I had to slow mo the scene in order to confirm that even before she places the bottle in the hole she's just dug up she doesn't have her ring on.  The scene then cuts to her face and then pans down to her hands to show she's still holding the bottle and miraculously her ring has reappeared on her hand.  Then appropriately her ring is gone again after she's done burying the bottle.

Hmm, must be some weird cloaking ring...

Kind of disappointing especially since they seemed to pause on her hands a little too long before she stood up to almost alert you, "Hey, what happened to her ring?" and all just ended up being a production error.

Below are some screen caps of the before, during and after burial of the bottle.  I increased the brightness to bring out the details since this was such a dark scene to begin with.

Right after she digs the hole.

Right before she begins to bury the bottle.

After the bottle is buried.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 05:05:37 AM by tmvp »

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Sun loses her ring...and loses her ring
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 06:46:08 PM »
Hah, it's a nice catch... I will admit, I think I did this with the same episode and noticed the ring reappearing act, too.  The way I reconciled it?  I guess she could have not been done covering the bottle, and gone back to it.  But that explanation's a bit lame, and you are right, it would have been better with continuity. 

Welcome, tmvp, your crazy attention to detail will make you feel right at home on our site...lol.

Offline tmvp

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Sun loses her ring...and loses her ring
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:24:40 AM »
Haha...my "crazy attention to detail" is a trait I'm known for and can bug my husband sometimes...but I can see from checking out this site and going through the forum threads more and more each day that yes, I can see I'll fit right at home.  ;D  With still many episodes left to watch from Season 2, I'm bound to find something else to post about.

...and thanks for the welcome.  You could say I've been a bit of a "lurker" to this site, but now that I've actually dipped my toes in the water so to speak, I promise to actually post in the "Welcome" thread and introduce myself when I get a chance to figure out what I want to say.