Author Topic: Where Was The Earthquake . . .  (Read 2742 times)

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Where Was The Earthquake . . .
« on: October 08, 2006, 02:49:31 PM »
. . . in Live Together, Die Alone? I'm sure everyone is assuming that the earthquake in AToTC was caused by Desmond's system failure in the hatch, so why did we not experience the same results at the end of the season 2 finale?

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Where Was The Earthquake . . .
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 02:51:05 PM »
Well, I think I was one of those who assumed it was another electromagnetic pulse rather than a true earthquake...

I was thinking that with the S2 finale, that there *were* similar results... the shaking in the hatch and all the way out to the beach... wasn't that similar?

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 04:31:23 PM »
I am with Pandy on this
I also assumed it was an electromagnetic pulse

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 05:03:12 PM »
I think I was one of those who assumed it was another electromagnetic pulse rather than a true earthquake
I also assumed it was an electromagnetic pulse

Sorry for the confusion. I meant an earthquake-like effect. I realize that it was whatever is in the hatch that was responsible and not an actual earthquake.

In the season 2 finale, things are shaking inside the hatch, but not anywhere else. No one seemed to have any indication that anything was going on until Desmond turned the key and the whole sky lit up white.

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 07:22:06 PM »
I think the difference between the two events is the turning of the key itself... In Live Together, Die Alone; Desmond turned the key but the events we saw at the beginning of ATOTC related to the time when he let the timer run down and the plane crashed. But it didn't get to the point of turning the key.

So, the key is the key (if you get my meaning!!)

;D

BlackrockBob

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
I think it is just a continutity error, of course we don't know what was going on in the Village when the button wasn't pushed. We just saw it from the Pala Ferry dock and the Fuselage beach.

The lights and noise was probably from the failsafe and that was the electromagnetic pulse.
I just would hope that the village was shaking, and Juliette spilled more muffins.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 09:34:20 PM »
Agree with Pandora 100%. It felt like an earthquake but the others knew differently and that is why they looked at the sky.

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:39:48 PM »
I think the difference between the two events is the turning of the key itself...

;D

Hmm, that's a good point... can't believe I almost forgot that part!

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 11:45:08 PM »
I think the difference between the two events is the turning of the key itself... In Live Together, Die Alone; Desmond turned the key but the events we saw at the beginning of ATOTC related to the time when he let the timer run down and the plane crashed. But it didn't get to the point of turning the key.

;D

HA HA Good point purple!! and well put!

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 05:35:02 AM »
Yay!! Did I get something right?! I need to celebrate now - yippeeee! Fanx guys!

On the serious side, I just see them as two separate events that were different for many reasons...

Offline jodeci

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 03:49:22 PM »
i agree with plp on the 'key is the key', but my question is if the people in the houses thought it was an earthquake, why when they came out of their houses did they automatically start looking up?  i've never been in an earthquake, but i don't think i'd be looking up to the sky, but rather down to the ground for cracks, no?  now, i also live near an airport, and some of the large military planes and air-show planes do shake my house occasionally, but not to that extent.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 04:02:18 PM »
They may have some experiences with the button not being pushed in time and dealing with the incident.

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »

;D

Well, this explanation doesn't really work that well... because, the events were allowed to carry on much longer when Locke let the timer run out than when Desmond let the timer run out. So, any effects of the timer running out the first time (such as this earthquake like phenomenon) should have reoccurred when Locke let the timer run out. When Locke allows the timer to run out, even the 108-Hiero-Clock itself is crushed by the magnetic force, which certainly didn't happen when Desmond allowed the timer to run out. It seems likely the "quake" and the system failure are tied together, but I don't think we know exactly how at this point. There may be other explanations for the "quake" preceding the plane crash.

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 03:40:04 PM »
i agree with plp on the 'key is the key', but my question is if the people in the houses thought it was an earthquake, why when they came out of their houses did they automatically start looking up?  i've never been in an earthquake, but i don't think i'd be looking up to the sky, but rather down to the ground for cracks, no?  now, i also live near an airport, and some of the large military planes and air-show planes do shake my house occasionally, but not to that extent.

I have seen this question a few times about why would they look up. I also live near an airport, right under the landing path and within a few miles of the airport. When planes come is for a landing they are so close I can easily read what airline name is on the side. In fact they are about as close as Oceanic 815 was to the Others. They are loud. And that's just normal everyday landing noises. I'm sure a plane screaming toward the ground, out of control and breaking up in midair is going to make a noise you will notice enough to look up at, regardless of what reason you have run out of your house. And these people are not used to the sound of anything flying around anyway, so it would definitly draw attention. My best example of this would be in the days following 9/11, when the planes were grounded it was eerily quiet around here. The first plane to fly over my house the following week made me jump out of my skin because I had forgotten how loud they can be (among other reasons). So to summarize, I think the earthquake, whatever caused it, sent the people out of their homes but the sound in the sky grabbed their attention when they got out there.

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 04:26:21 PM »
That is possible, but if you watch the scene, they are looking around randomly in the sky. Then, when we (the audience) hear the plane for the first time, they all focus in the direction of the sound and see the plane. In that case, it seems like they were searching the sky before they heard the plane. However, I guess you could argue that they were reacting to sounds that we (the audience) couldn't yet hear.

However, if you notice, you usually see a plane flying overhead before you hear it. This is because sound travels much slower than light. Indeed, often, when you hear a plane, and look up to spot it, it is much further away than it sounds.

I'm not sure how much we are suppose to be looking into this, but it did seem to me that they had planned for this type of event, or something like it. I mean, they weren't like, "Oh! A plane!! What do we do?!". They reacted very calmly and methodically to the situation.