Author Topic: Two Groups of Others  (Read 3486 times)

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Two Groups of Others
« on: October 08, 2006, 11:28:01 AM »
If we remember when Henry Gale attacked Ana-Lucia, he said, "You killed two of us." At this point, those two are undoubtedly Ethan and Goodwin. So what about the two that Eko killed on the first night and the one that Ana-Lucia killed when they came back a week later? Why didn't Henry consider those other three deaths? I'm thinking that there are indeed two separate groups of others on the island.

It would also be consistent with the writers' storytelling style -- make us think something, make us think the opposite, then we discover that the original belief was true. A few examples:
* We are made to believe from the very beginning that the button is real. Then we are led to believe the opposite (the Pearl station) only to discover that our original belief was true.
* We are made to believe from the very beginning that Henry Gale is an other. Then we are led to believe the opposite (we find his balloon) only to discover that our original belief was true.
* We are made to believe from the very beginning that there is a sickness on the island. Then we are led to believe the opposite (Kelvin going outside) only to discover that our original belief was true (the LOST experience).

So, we were all led to believe that there were two groups of others towards the beginning of season 2. Then were led to believe the opposite (we find Zeke's beard and costume), so I'm sure that we will discover that our original belief is true.

BlackrockBob

Re: Two Groups of Others
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 02:30:50 PM »
I  had thought there was two groups of others up until A Tale of Two Cities.

I just didn't buy the fact that the group of mad scientists could be the savages that Rousseau talked about. The fact that they would scare Eko, just didn't jive with Ben's group. After ATOTC, I thought that they are just a twisted group and anyone that has book club meetings, could be capable of scaring Eko. :)

If there were two groups, how could Ben's group live in that nice village and not have to worry about being attacked?

I might change my mind back, if we ever see Rousseau's backstory or if Kelvin pops back up alive.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 03:45:58 PM »
Well, don't give up on the idea yet, Bob...

From the last podcast
The writers answered a question that yes, there is more than one faction of Others.  They didn't say how many, though (they joked about it being 9 or something, but this wasn't serious)

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 04:14:26 PM »
feellikeanut
not to be picky but Charlie killed Ethan  not ana lucia

;D

Offline FeelLikeANut

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »

I was merely quoting what Henry had said. I realize now that Henry's quote, "You killed two of us," can be taken in two ways, and those ways depend on who he is referring to. He said "you" to Ana-Lucia, but he may have been speaking about the survivors in general, in which case Goodwin and Ethan are likely the two. If, however, he was speaking specifically of Ana-Lucia, then the group that came a week after the crash must have been Ben's people. However, this is the same group that took the kids, and it is that group with the kids (we presume) that Eko hid from in early S2, which conflicts with BlackrockBob's reasoning.

But since Goodwin and Ethan were not supposed to do anything until they reported their lists, at least three days later, then the group of others that showed up on the very first night must have been the second faction of others.

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 07:18:37 PM »
I think I mentioned this somewhere in another thread but I think it is relevant to what you are saying (hopefully!).

I feel that there are in fact two groups of 'others' but I find it confusing. When Michael and Jin were hiding in the bushes and they saw those dirty legs going by with the teddy bear, I was convinced that this was another group of 'others' separate to the ones we are currently learning more about. But when I thought about it more, we know from Goodwin that these 'others' have got the children because he said to Ana Lucia that they were fine confirming that they took them from the tailies so how did the teddy bear get with the other group of others...?

I'm confusing myself even more now!!! Have I explained this properly or am I just babbling? Somebody help!!!???

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 08:06:52 PM »

I was merely quoting what Henry had said. I realize now that Henry's quote, "You killed two of us," can be taken in two ways, and those ways depend on who he is referring to. He said "you" to Ana-Lucia, but he may have been speaking about the survivors in general, in which case Goodwin and Ethan are likely the two. If, however, he was speaking specifically of Ana-Lucia, then the group that came a week after the crash must have been Ben's people. However, this is the same group that took the kids, and it is that group with the kids (we presume) that Eko hid from in early S2, which conflicts with BlackrockBob's reasoning.

But since Goodwin and Ethan were not supposed to do anything until they reported their lists, at least three days later, then the group of others that showed up on the very first night must have been the second faction of others.

I see your point 
like i said  i really did not mean to be picky
he well could have been speaking in overall terms

but ana lucia did kill 2 of benrys group

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 09:20:37 PM »
When Fenry said that in the hatch he said "Your the killer Anna Lucia" He used her name when talking about killing two, so he is referring to Goodwin and the one in the camp.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 09:21:40 PM »
I also believe, for the first time, that there are two groups of others on this island. They may be closely related but operating diferently from each other.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 09:26:39 PM »
i too am leaning that way 
i dismissed the theory  when it was first  floated
but now i am starting to think it might have some weight to it

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 09:29:44 PM »
When Fenry said that in the hatch he said "Your the killer Anna Lucia" He used her name when talking about killing two, so he is referring to Goodwin and the one in the camp.
thanks Juggy
more info is always better  i was sure he was talking about just Ana 
but did not remember  the quote

mindsparkle

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 11:54:41 AM »
Always adding my two cents, I think there are two factions of others and I think one set has not kidnapped any of the losties... that has all been Benry's group... 

When Anna asked Godwin about the children he had an answer for her... all of those kidnappings were Benry's group.  When we see the ones with the teddy bear, it could have been dropped by the kidnapped children and picked up by someone else... so many possibilities.

the other faction, IMHO, we have not met yet... I have this gut feeling that there is another smaller group of scientists that are opposing what Benry and his group are up to and are secretly trying to sabatoge their efforts or they are simply hidding and existing on the island.

Offline FrostyLosty

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 02:50:00 PM »
i think benry didnt say anything to eko becuase i believe he was genuinely scared of eko.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 04:06:54 PM »
Good reason to, Eko is one mean mother.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2006, 06:56:56 PM »
Post 4100

I'm not going to say one way or another since I know exactly (due to podcast and Pandy's spoiler)