Author Topic: Juliet: Who Is She? What Are Her Motives? Rewritten 0ct 5th  (Read 16148 times)

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Juliet: Who Is She? What Are Her Motives? Rewritten 0ct 5th
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2006, 02:16:05 PM »
Nothing I believe stongly in, but Juliette could be an animal fertility doctor and not with humans. I doubt it, but I thought I would throw that out there. We know they did animal experiments.
i have mentioned this in another thread somewhere.  i too think she might be an animal fertility doctor, since she is working in the hydra (has her scrubs with the hydra symbol on it and everything), and the hydra is the zoological research facility.  what i kept thinking during her scene with jack, while working on colleen was that she had NO CLUE what to do.  a fertility doctor is still a DOCTOR and has to go through medical school.  she would have done rounds in all areas (correct me if i am wrong) before she started training in her specialty.  she should have known more about working on colleen.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2006, 06:35:24 PM »
It makes sense to me that Juliet is an animal fertility doctor, but I was wondering why animals need a fertility doctor, so I went looking on the internet.  I found some articles on the subject which I find interesting on sooo many levels.  Here's an exerpt about the first successful in vitro fertilazation of a mammal.  Notice that Pincus' name contains the name "Goodwin".  And he created a test-tube bunny in 1934!  Hmmmmmm.

Gregory Pincus

Gregory (Goodwin) Pincus was an American endocrinologist whose work on the antifertility properties of steroids led to the development of the first effective oral contraceptive: the birth-control pill. In 1934, Pincus made national headlines by achieving in-vitro fertilization of rabbits. The public was not ready for the vision of test-tube babies; instead of fame, he received notoriety. Consequently, he moved a small independent laboratory. There he did applied research, especially on steroids. In 1953, he was approached about developing a new form of contraception. He focussed on using progesterone as an effective anti-ovulent, and showed it could be a good contraceptive drug. In 1960, a synthetic progesterone drug was approved for contraceptive use.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 06:39:03 PM by Sweet Old Lady »

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2006, 06:42:35 PM »
It makes sense to me that Juliet is an animal fertility doctor, but I was wondering why animals need a fertility doctor, so I went looking on the internet.  I found some articles on the subject which I find interesting on sooo many levels.  Here's an exerpt about the first successful in vitro fertilazation of a mammal.  Notice that Pincus' name contains the name "Goodwin".  And he created a test-tube bunny in 1934!  Hmmmmmm.

Gregory Pincus

Gregory (Goodwin) Pincus was an American endocrinologist whose work on the antifertility properties of steroids led to the development of the first effective oral contraceptive: the birth-control pill. In 1934, Pincus made national headlines by achieving in-vitro fertilization of rabbits. The public was not ready for the vision of test-tube babies; instead of fame, he received notoriety. Consequently, he moved a small independent laboratory. There he did applied research, especially on steroids. In 1953, he was approached about developing a new form of contraception. He focussed on using progesterone as an effective anti-ovulent, and showed it could be a good contraceptive drug. In 1960, a synthetic progesterone drug was approved for contraceptive use.

wow sol!  that's great!  thanks for finding that info.

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2006, 07:01:19 PM »
You're welcome.  There's not a lot of information about him, but I found a note that his nickname was "Goody".

;D