« Reply #105 on: September 11, 2007, 12:35:20 PM »
amen
I guess we'll just have to adjust

Offline Floyd25

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: 9/11
« Reply #106 on: September 11, 2007, 12:38:12 PM »
I cried this morning.  I do every year.  I HATE what they've done.

Offline laklost

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2007, 12:40:38 PM »
For me, 9/11 was a huge reminder of my personal responsibility to treat other people with kindness and respect.  Whenever big trials happen to me, it is a reminder of my responsibilities to my fellow human beings.  It helps me to appreciate the blessings and freedoms that I enjoy personally.  It helps me to be thankful for the trials that I have and for those people in my life who have influenced me for good.  It makes me grateful for all of those, past and present, who choose to stand for what is right.  It reminds me of God and that he knows who I am.  It helps me to want to be a better person everyday and to help those who are less fortunate than I am.  It reminds me to pray and seek for the Lord's counsel in my life.  9/11 reminds me that I am a citizen of a great country that was founded on righteous ideals.  I am so thankful, not just for those who died that day or contributed in any way to help others (even though I am VERY thankful for them), but I am thankful for people in the government, military, and in my everyday life who are willing and do stand up for what is right and who fight against terrorist activities, locally and globally.

So, to sum up, I am thankful for you when you choose what is right and help influence others for the good of all mankind.

I had to bump this, because it's so well said and beautiful.

Offline Floyd25

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
For me, 9/11 was a huge reminder of my personal responsibility to treat other people with kindness and respect.  Whenever big trials happen to me, it is a reminder of my responsibilities to my fellow human beings.  It helps me to appreciate the blessings and freedoms that I enjoy personally.  It helps me to be thankful for the trials that I have and for those people in my life who have influenced me for good.  It makes me grateful for all of those, past and present, who choose to stand for what is right.  It reminds me of God and that he knows who I am.  It helps me to want to be a better person everyday and to help those who are less fortunate than I am.  It reminds me to pray and seek for the Lord's counsel in my life.  9/11 reminds me that I am a citizen of a great country that was founded on righteous ideals.  I am so thankful, not just for those who died that day or contributed in any way to help others (even though I am VERY thankful for them), but I am thankful for people in the government, military, and in my everyday life who are willing and do stand up for what is right and who fight against terrorist activities, locally and globally.

So, to sum up, I am thankful for you when you choose what is right and help influence others for the good of all mankind.

I had to bump this, because it's so well said and beautiful.
I have to agree.  Sure wish the protesting would stop at funerals...

Offline pauinha6

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2007, 01:41:40 PM »
this is a sad day for all mankind!
especialy the US, but to the whole world. every year, i get reminded of what exactly i was doing that day, of teh terrorof the images on tv, of the horror goosebumps on my skin just thinking those images were real, not just a creepy horror movie.

i had just moved into my house near the U, and i was still unpacking all my stuff. it was around noon here, and i had no tv in my bed room yet. i turned on the radio, and didn't even listen to what they were saying... it was suposed to be a humourous show.... till i hear "twin towers" and i thought wth? and i began listening... i was terrified. i ran to the living room, turn on the tv, these horrible images were there but i couldn't understand them... i zaped from channel to channel, everytime the same image was on... then i heard it, a plane had crashed into one of teh towers... who in hell was taht possible????
i remember so vivdly i can still remember wich journalist was speaking, when in the background we saw another plain hit the second tower. i screamed! th journalist was silent...
i was glued to my tv for hours....
then my room mates began to arrive home, the classes in the U had stopped, everyone who had friends and family in the states was trying to call, desperate. the phones wouldn't work...
the horror and pain of that day will never be forgotten, in the us, in the rest of teh world... how ppl can kill without motive, using god as a reason....

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 11, 2007, 02:22:47 PM »
today is the day i pay bills here at school.  last night was our school board meeting, so they approve my encumbrances and i make payments today.  anyway, every payment i make i have to stamp "paid 9/11/07."  well, i did that a few times when it hit me.  i was doing the exact same thing when i found out the news 6 years ago.  it was a different job, in a different town, but the same movements.  i experienced a sense of deja vu.  and not a good one.  my prayers are with those involved, their families and all those affected by the tragedy.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 11, 2007, 10:52:37 PM »
A bittersweet day for me... We all know the bitter part, but the sweet part is that it is my 2nd year anniversary with Mandy. Why we got together on 9/11, I'll never know.

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 11, 2007, 11:35:28 PM »
Today I went and visited some veteran's monuments.  I also exercised my priviledges to vote in the local primary elections.  Again, I am thankful for all the people out there who choose to do things that help and uplift each other.  I would like to ditto what Lorie bumped that I said last year.  I still feel that way.

Offline thlaylirah

• OTHERS 
  • DHARMA Scientist
  • Wicked Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2008, 06:25:40 AM »
Bump
I guess we'll just have to adjust

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2008, 06:48:19 AM »

(thank you Thlay I was to lazy to search)

Offline Jungle Otter

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2008, 07:37:27 AM »

I still remember the feeling at the site. I went there in March 2002. There was this oppressive feeling in he air that lasted for blocks.  Just the shock of looking over at the skyline from the bus heading into the city. Hard to believe it's been seven years already.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:24:15 PM by Scoundrel »

Offline Asmodean

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2008, 06:10:23 PM »

Offline Suzanne4au2

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 11, 2008, 06:55:37 PM »
I have that picture framed in my house. I picked it up last time I was in NYC

Offline LostinLock

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 11, 2008, 08:38:17 PM »
'MEET ME IN THE STAIRWELL'

You say you will never forget where you were when
you heard the news On September 11, 2001.
Neither will I.

I was on the 110th floor in a smoke filled room
with a man who called his wife to say 'Good-Bye.' I
held his fingers steady as he dialed. I gave him the
peace to say, 'Honey, I am not going to make it, but it
is OK..I am ready to go.'

I was with his wife when he called as she fed
breakfast to their children. I held her up as she
tried to understand his words and as she realized
he wasn't coming home that night.

I was in the stairwell of the 23rd floor when a
woman cried out to Me for help. 'I have been
knocking on the door of your heart for 50 years!' I said.
'Of course I will show you the way home - only
believe in Me now.'

I was at the base of the building with the Priest
ministering to the injured and devastated souls.
I took him home to tend to his Flock in Heaven. He
heard my voice and answered.

I was on all four of those planes, in every seat,
with every prayer. I was with the crew as they
were overtaken. I was in the very hearts of the
believers there, comforting and assuring them that their
faith has saved them.

I was in Texas , Virginia , California , Michigan , Afghanistan ...
I was standing next to you when you heard the terrible news.
Did you sense Me?

I want you to know that I saw every face. I knew
every name - though not all know Me. Some met Me
for the first time on the 86th floor.

Some sought Me with their last breath.
Some couldn't hear Me calling to them through the
smoke and flames; 'Come to Me... this way... take
my hand.' Some chose, for the final time, to ignore Me.
But, I was there.

I did not place you in the Tower that day. You
may not know why, but I do. However, if you were
there in that explosive moment in time, would you have
reached for Me?

Sept. 11, 2001, was not the end of the journey
for you. But someday your journey will end. And I
will be there for you as well. Seek Me now while I may
be found. Then, at any moment, you know you are
'ready to go.'

I will be in the stairwell of your final moments.

Offline qgardens

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 11, 2008, 11:30:10 PM »
I remember turning on the early local news at 5 am as my husband was getting ready to leave for work.  The newcaster said something about breaking news as soon as we get more information, plane crash, NYC.  I didn't really pay attention but they brought it back so soon, I sat up in bed and watched, as he repeated "twin engine plane crashed into the world trade center" or as much as they knew at the moment.  I remember the look on his face as they cut away to the live pictures on the national network.  I was already up, so I watched while getting ready for work, thinking it was an accidental cessna-type plane crash.  I watched live as the rest of the nation did when the second plane hit.  I called my friend in New Hampshire to ask if she knew what was going on.  I called my husband at work and told him to get his butt in the car and drive home if anything happened at the state capitol (he worked about a half-mile away at the time).  At work later that morning, our sub test proctor called and said she wasn't coming in because she was scared to leave her house.  That evening I remember being horrified all over again, seeing video of people jumping from windows in desperate attempts to escape.  And I remember that one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen - after seeing so much despair and ruin - happened the morning they allowed planes back into the air.  On the drive to work, I pass through ten miles of flat farmland.  In the autumn sky, nothing blocking my view, I saw a mass of contrails against the clear blue sky, lit up in gold and pink, like fireworks, some sharp and thin, others thickening into cottony puffs, and others fading away to look like wispy clouds.