Author Topic: HUNT 2-8  (Read 12875 times)

Offline lauren27

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HUNT 2-8
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2006, 10:07:49 PM »
well i submitted charlotte so i hope thats the right answer.  but out of curiousity and while we're waiting for the results to be posted, what other answers did people submit?  we still dont know for sure that charlotte is the answer though it seems to be..

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2006, 12:42:27 AM »
well i submitted charlotte so i hope thats the right answer.  but out of curiousity and while we're waiting for the results to be posted, what other answers did people submit?  we still dont know for sure that charlotte is the answer though it seems to be..

lauren, I put 1AM (time Charlotte was pronounced dead), and explained why in my other post.

Offline DevilishinVA

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2006, 02:14:37 PM »
I've been busy HUNTing for glyphs that I forgot about THE HUNT. I just looked at 2-8 so probably a good thing I forgot. It doesn't look easy. As a matter of fact, none of them have looked easy this year. Ugh! Oh well, back to HUNTing for glyphs & congrats to all the PGs on 2-8.

dlost

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2006, 02:28:04 PM »
I knew about the ceasar cypher because of Astro's challenges on his site and I think he used it before.  I sat on the answer "charolette" for days because I was so sure that it was too easy to be the answer.  I thought for sure that there had to be more to it.  Had I realized that I didn't need to go farther, I would have had it in less than an hour.  Finally, I was just going to submit "charolette" because I was frustrated over the latin phrases.  When I went to submit, the hunt had ended...  ???

It's Charlotte, not charolette. Do you still score if you spell the answer wrong? Anyway, I knew about the cipher from a long time ago, and I'd been using it to solve (or try to solve) a riddle on another website the day before this Hunt! Pretty lucky, huh? I submitted at about 50 minutes, because I couldn't find any more leads and I figured it was an easy one. Sledge still hasn't posted the solution? I wonder why it's taking so long? Maybe site problems or he's busy.

Yeah, i know its charlotte.  I just didn't spell it correctly when I typed the post...

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2006, 07:22:52 PM »
Let's look at the bottom line

This was to point to the last line of latin:

A crow doesn't rip out the eyes of another crow

Which was to point to the hidden image map on the hunt 2-8 page.

Perhaps someday it will be pleasing to look back on these things

Only important thing is "look", referring to the hidden image map, and an inside joke that perhaps someday we'll look back pleasingly on these hunts that drive us so crazy.

Whatever you do, do cautiously, and look to the end

Only important thing is "look", referring to the hidden image map, and to look at the last line about the eyes.

God! Look at the time!  My wife will kill me!

Again with the "look", and another inside joke that you've spent too much time on the hunt, and your spouse is going to kill you.

Offline Evilrabbit

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2006, 09:46:02 PM »
God! Look at the time!  My wife will kill me!

Again with the "look", and another inside joke that you've spent too much time on the hunt, and your spouse is going to kill you.

LOL! I got 1st this week! Woot! I'm very surprised since I usually don't do well. I didn't notice the Y, just looked at all the possibilities.

Offline scullyag

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2006, 09:48:47 PM »
Woo Hoo! I got points! My first time ever.

Congrats all...until Wed.

Offline lauren27

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2006, 11:10:23 PM »
well i was the first person to solve it correctly and get 0 points.  thats the second time thats happened to me too...oh well at least i got it right, and i'll try again next week.  congrats to everyone who figured it out. 

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2006, 01:12:00 AM »
Good job, everyone!  I admit that I didn't even start on it.  And look at me!  I am at the bottom of the standings with one point.  That's fantastic!

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2006, 03:11:20 PM »
Well, I'll take 5 points this time. Lao is still stretching her lead on me, but there is still time to reel her in.

As for how I found it, it was really just a bit of luck.

I spent most of the time trying to translate the latin. Tried doing it word by word, but just got gibberish. Then when i tried the whole phrase I found that www.yuni.com site which was pretty invaluable for the translations. After they were translated, I felt like I was back to square one.

After a few minutes of blank stares I decided to try and work on the only other clue, the "random" letters arond the Casesar coin. I never found the small picture with the key, but I just started researching Caesar to find any code breaking techniques. I somehow came accross that Caesar cypher thing, and found a decoder, but this is almost where I made a fatal mistake.

When I was deciphering Caesars code, I didn't type in the Q so when it was translated, I got "Rich Little Girl" Instantly I thought it was Shannon. I even typed Shannon as my final answer and was about to hit "Submit" before that little voice in the back of my head told me to wait. When I double checked my translation, I noticed I missed the Q which turned it into "Rich'S Little Girl"....major difference.

If I hadn't spent so much time translating the Latin phrases and pondering their meaning, I would have finished this one alot faster. Heck when it was done I kept thinking, "why on earth were those quotes there?" I know they weren't really a Red Herring, but they still threw me off.

Don't worry, though, Laomaktik. I won't go quietly into that good night. ;-)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 03:13:15 PM by CaseyMac »

Offline laomaktk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2006, 04:22:09 PM »

I'm good for a little friendly competition.  As soon as the answer and standings are posted I check my score then I check yours.  I have a feeling my luck is running thin though.  Having only scored 16 points total last summer, I'm quite proud and more than a little stunned by my showing thus far.

I wish the best of luck to everyone, including you CaseyMac. :)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2006, 10:40:42 PM »

I'm good for a little friendly competition.  As soon as the answer and standings are posted I check my score then I check yours.  I have a feeling my luck is running thin though.  Having only scored 16 points total last summer, I'm quite proud and more than a little stunned by my showing thus far.

I wish the best of luck to everyone, including you CaseyMac. :)

I'm glad you took my comments in the meaning they were intended. Friendly competition (stress on friendly) is important to this game. Like you, I have my eye on the scoreboard here, and it's been frustrating the past couple of weeks seeing that you beat me by a couple of hours. Another name you should be sure to keep a close eye on is last years champ abbiegal. I'd be more worried about her making a late charge here than me. She may be kinda quiet lately, but i'm sure that is just part of her, as Bush calls it, strategery.

Oh yeah, and that little "My luck is running thin" or "I'm not confident in my answer" routine doesn't work anymore. When you hold the leaderboard and stretch your lead, you may try to play coy, but we all know you're pimpin. ;-)

Good luck everyone.

Offline abbiegail444

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2006, 03:55:23 PM »
Damn! CaseyMac figured me out. Time to find a new strategery....

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2006, 06:57:01 PM »
My strategy, and one you should all adopt in my opinion is....Let the Wookie win.

(can I be the wookie? ppllllllleeeeaaassseeeee?)