Author Topic: HUNT 2-8  (Read 12852 times)

Offline Evilrabbit

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HUNT 2-8
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2006, 02:56:18 AM »
well since it was solved, we're allowed to discuss the results, right? so what did everyone submit?

Probably, but it's best to wait just in case. I guess "soon" means tomorrow because the results aren't up yet.

Offline scullyag

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2006, 02:57:26 PM »
Ahhhhh.....I can't take it anymore......the waiting is killing me......

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2006, 05:39:33 PM »
Oh how sad.  I was just going to get on and work on it.  Oh well.

dlost

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2006, 06:04:44 PM »
Please post the answer soon, Sledge! I didn't submit my answer on time and it's killing me to see if I would have gotton it right.....  :-\  :)

Offline diana

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2006, 10:14:03 PM »
well since it was solved, we're allowed to discuss the results, right? so what did everyone submit?

I didn't submit...couldn't get any further than decoding the Caesar
cipher (Rich's little girl = Charlotte Malkin).  What *do* the Latin
phrases have in common?  Where was the smaller image?  Sigh...

Offline kurtisw32

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2006, 11:22:43 PM »
Nothing more depressing than not figuring out the answer and then having to wait and see what the answer even was.  I am very interested in hearing how everyone was able to solve it so easily, and looking forward to having all of the obvious aspects of the hunt pointed out to me by sledge and everyone else.

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2006, 10:23:30 AM »

Yeah, I think we're allowed to discuss once there's no chance of more submissions.

Plus, I talked to sledge briefly over PM and I think he infered the answer is what I SHOULD have put before I made it overcomplicated... CHARLOTTE.  UGHH!!  Why do I either overthink or underthink it?  I don't think the Hunt is for me, and I don't know why I bother anymore.

Ironically, I think many may have gotten it without getting to the image map of the eye at all. Let me explain:

I was trying to use ALL the latin phrases.

I figure most people already got Charlotte from the Caesar key by the time I submitted, and that wasn't the right answer, because surely 14 would have been there by then.  So I went through all the phrases:

Let's look at the bottom line <-- directing us to the bottom crow line, I thought:

A crow doesn't rip out the eyes of another crow <-- image turns into a clickable image map, if you click exactly on one pixel over Caesar's eye, you get another image of a key (I think this is just more of a clue to use Caesar's "key", don't know if it is another clue, but many probably got it without seeing this)

Perhaps someday it will be pleasing to look back on these things <-- Look back on something?  But what?  I thought at first maybe an old Hunt, but I think it may refer to looking back at the script from episode "?"

Whatever you do, do cautiously, and look to the end <-- End of something, but what? I'm probably totally off, but I was wondering if they meant end of life; see next quote

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea necabit!  God! Look at the time!  My wife will kill me! <-- This was the last one I couldn't fit at all.  I knew he wanted us to look at time somewhere, but the only time mentioned on the page is 9PM, which doesn't make much sense for helping us.  So if it's to "look back" at the script and "look to the end" (of life), I guessed with my answer of 1AM, the time that Charlotte was pronounced dead by the coroner.

However, these are just my notes, and I think it was scully who was actually right... what actually links the phrases together is the term "look" and "eye", leading to the image map and the key... which argh, wasn't even a crucial clue!  All that work, and stll no points.  This is depressing. :(

Offline Evilrabbit

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2006, 11:51:49 AM »
Plus, I talked to sledge briefly over PM and I think he infered the answer is what I SHOULD have put before I made it overcomplicated... CHARLOTTE.  UGHH!!  Why do I either overthink or underthink it?  I don't think the Hunt is for me, and I don't know why I bother anymore.

Ironically, I think many may have gotten it without getting to the image map of the eye at all.

That was the answer? Yay, I got it! What image map? The one of the key, or something else?

I got that the common thing between all the expressions was "look" or "eyes," but only after I'd submitted, and I didn't really see how that would help. I looked at a picture of Charlotte's eyes, thinking maybe their color was the answer, but I couldn't see any specific color.

When I submitted, I figured the latin phrases were red herrings, like that time where the only important bit was "Dennis Penfry."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 12:00:20 PM by Evilrabbit »

dlost

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2006, 01:46:01 PM »
I knew about the ceasar cypher because of Astro's challenges on his site and I think he used it before.  I sat on the answer "charolette" for days because I was so sure that it was too easy to be the answer.  I thought for sure that there had to be more to it.  Had I realized that I didn't need to go farther, I would have had it in less than an hour.  Finally, I was just going to submit "charolette" because I was frustrated over the latin phrases.  When I went to submit, the hunt had ended...  ???

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2006, 02:20:38 PM »
Yeah, I was pretty familiar with the Caesar Cipher because I had researched it before, so the instant I saw the word Caesar on this challenge, I was suspicious of that being it.  I never got the Eye connection from the phrases.  I did translate them, but didn't see anything relevant, so instead I decided to try using the Caesar Cipher on the middle letters with a shift of 5 (there were 5 latin phrases).  Since the only important thing to know with a Caesar Cipher is what the shift is, I got lucky and submitted Charlotte. 

I struggled on whether or not to submit, since it did seem too easy.  But I considered that the last couple of hunts have been very difficult for most people, and hunt 7 was only solved by 4 people.  This made me think that Sledge might have made this one easier on purpose, so I went ahead and submitted.  It'll be interesting to see how everyone places on this one.

Personally, I love how the hunts shift from levels of difficulty, because that makes it hard to decide if you've gotten the answer yet, or need to keep looking.  Makes it more of a challenge!

Offline Evilrabbit

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »
I knew about the ceasar cypher because of Astro's challenges on his site and I think he used it before.  I sat on the answer "charolette" for days because I was so sure that it was too easy to be the answer.  I thought for sure that there had to be more to it.  Had I realized that I didn't need to go farther, I would have had it in less than an hour.  Finally, I was just going to submit "charolette" because I was frustrated over the latin phrases.  When I went to submit, the hunt had ended...  ???

It's Charlotte, not charolette. Do you still score if you spell the answer wrong? Anyway, I knew about the cipher from a long time ago, and I'd been using it to solve (or try to solve) a riddle on another website the day before this Hunt! Pretty lucky, huh? I submitted at about 50 minutes, because I couldn't find any more leads and I figured it was an easy one. Sledge still hasn't posted the solution? I wonder why it's taking so long? Maybe site problems or he's busy.

Offline diana

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2006, 03:46:24 PM »
Charlotte *was* the answer?! I was so
sure that Charlotte was going to be this
week's "Our Mutual Friend", especially
after the hint implied that there were
more steps (once you know it's a Caesar
cipher, there are plenty of Caesar cipher
decoders online)...though now that Pandora
has explained the hints, I understand how they
were supposed to help (ie, the key is aligned
with A --> C, signifying a forward shift of two).

I would like to say that I overthought this one,
but I didn't have much luck in the thinking department
after getting Charlotte.  (eg, Q: What do these Latin
phrases have in common?  My "thoughts": Umm...they're in Latin?
In the same font?)   ::)

Offline scullyag

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2006, 04:23:57 PM »
However, these are just my notes, and I think it was scully who was actually right... what actually links the phrases together is the term "look" and "eye", leading to the image map and the key... which argh, wasn't even a crucial clue!  All that work, and stll no points.  This is depressing. :(

Oh, I wish I was that smart and could take credit for figuring out the commonality, but I know there were several before me.

It's so hard to tell where to stop. I can definitely track with Pandora's logic, but I decided to stop at Charlotte. I really hope that was the answer, but I do not know if I answered in time.

Is it just me, or does anyone see the image of the hand if you look at the non-enlarged clue?

Offline Evilrabbit

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2006, 05:47:41 PM »
Charlotte *was* the answer?!

Only if Pandora is correct in her thinking that Sledge implied this to her. I didn't even notice that the key pointed A->C, I just used a program that shows you all 25 results. As for the hand, scully, I can sort of see it now that you point it out, but not very well and I doubt it's a clue. If anything is suppoed to be a clue you can only see in the small version, it's the "eye". The coin is the pupil, the ciphered text is the iris, and the octagon is the white of the eye. It could be what the "look" and "eye" references were about, but I didn't work that into my answer.

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2006, 09:40:25 PM »
All I can say is that I asked him "I overthought it, didn't I?", and he replied, "I think so.  I tried to make it easier this week since we had a few hard ones before."  We'll see soon enough, but I interpreted that to mean the "easy" answer was just plain Charlotte. :)