Author Topic: HUNT 2-5  (Read 16020 times)

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: HUNT 2-5
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2006, 02:17:16 PM »
I submitted John Irving... but hey, it was my first hunt! :)
(Am I the only Argentinian player around?)

Quick question: How do you get 0 points? Submitting the right answer late?

Yeah, the first 10 to answer correctly get points. The hunt ends when the 4 alternate spots have also been filled. They don't get any points, but they get some respect for getting it right. And, if for some reason, one of the top 10 players had to be banned from the game, then the first alternate would move up and get 1 point.

Just out of curiousity... Has anyone every been banned from the game?  Or even come close?  Don't want to know who, just if it has ever happened...

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2006, 02:36:33 PM »
I think there was 1 last year, but I don't recall for sure. This year a player's entry was deleted, but they didn't have any points. This was due to the user submitting an offensive answer (spamming the game).

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2006, 05:24:42 PM »
Oops... I said Desmond. Here's how I came to this conclusion. I did all my notes in Word.

Shannon: Polar bears don’t usually live in the Jungle…
Charlie: Spot on!

01001001 01010011 01000010 01001110 01001001 01010011 0100010 01001110
=isbn isbn in binary…

Is ISBN for Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens.

Our Mutual Friend is the book carried around by Desmond. Des is the mutual friend of Ana Lucia & Jack.

Answer=Desmond.

Probably not.

As you can see, I was wrong. I didn't even notice those numbers up above...silly me.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2006, 06:07:18 PM »
Oh goody, I get to complain about this one now.  :D  My thing is, I thought this was a BRILLIANT Hunt, had it been a book that was unrelated to LOST.  If it had been "Tale of Two Cities", for instance, many of us would have paused and said, well, there's got to be more.  This Hunt became more of a luck issue... and did favor the cautious.  Which is not to take anything away from those who got it.. kudos to them!

Being one of the 20, here's what I thought:

First, I looked at the first numbers as dates/times (the ones that ended up being book/ch/word).  I was wrong to write this off as anything else so soon, because at least two of the sets came VERY close to being 108 apart... so I thought, ok, that's not something we're supposed to look at.  I went to the Investigations section and looked up the real screencaps of the Pearl printouts (both versions) and realized neither had the 0's and 1's.

I tried the binary code right away, and got "IBNISBN".  WTH is that, I thought?  I saw ISBN and thought it might be the book.  Googled the other number, and came up with Our Mutual Friend.  OK, definitely on to something, I thought.  Went back, redid the binary code, realized I dropped a set, and got the ISBNISBN.  With those two pointing in the same direction, I thought, this must be two easy, and wrung my hands for a few minutes, but figured if that was the answer, I'd just be wasting time, so submitted at 20 min.

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2006, 06:43:29 PM »
Well, this hunt was designed to throw the leaders off and get other people in more competitive positions. It worked for the most part.

Offline JBRam

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2006, 08:14:04 PM »
Well, this hunt was designed to throw the leaders off and get other people in more competitive positions. It worked for the most part.
I think that once again, a huge congratulations is in order to Sledge for his awesome Hunt.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2006, 09:39:38 PM »

You heard it here first... it was SABOTAGE. :D

In all seriousness though, I only love to hate ya when you do this to us... because I wish people like you wrote for The Lost Experience.  The clues are just not great right now.

Offline Evilrabbit

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2006, 11:03:03 PM »
So is there no hunt this week? Or will it just be late?

ETA: Never mind. It'll be delayed until next week.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 11:05:18 PM by Evilrabbit »

Offline DevilishinVA

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2006, 09:13:12 AM »
I also was one of the 20 that submitted Our Mutual Friend and one of the ones that submitted in less than a hour. Then I saw the hint and didn't try to figure it out. Congrats to the HUNTers that got it right and a big  :P to ya all.  ;D

dlost

« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2006, 10:39:04 AM »
Oh goody, I get to complain about this one now.  :D  My thing is, I thought this was a BRILLIANT Hunt, had it been a book that was unrelated to LOST.  If it had been "Tale of Two Cities", for instance, many of us would have paused and said, well, there's got to be more.  This Hunt became more of a luck issue... and did favor the cautious.  Which is not to take anything away from those who got it.. kudos to them!

Being one of the 20, here's what I thought:

First, I looked at the first numbers as dates/times (the ones that ended up being book/ch/word).  I was wrong to write this off as anything else so soon, because at least two of the sets came VERY close to being 108 apart... so I thought, ok, that's not something we're supposed to look at.  I went to the Investigations section and looked up the real screencaps of the Pearl printouts (both versions) and realized neither had the 0's and 1's.

I tried the binary code right away, and got "IBNISBN".  WTH is that, I thought?  I saw ISBN and thought it might be the book.  Googled the other number, and came up with Our Mutual Friend.  OK, definitely on to something, I thought.  Went back, redid the binary code, realized I dropped a set, and got the ISBNISBN.  With those two pointing in the same direction, I thought, this must be two easy, and wrung my hands for a few minutes, but figured if that was the answer, I'd just be wasting time, so submitted at 20 min.

"...This hunt became more of a luck issue..."

um gee, thanks, up until then I was excited about the 3 points I had thought that I had worked for....  :-\ ;)