Author Topic: HUNT 2-4  (Read 9773 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: HUNT 2-4
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2006, 03:50:15 AM »
Well, I was wrong again. I was on the right trail, but I transcribed the morse code as NAME IS AAC1S PLACE (I could have sworn there was a space between s and a, and that .-----, if that's even what it was, means 1 not apostrophe). I had to listen to the stupid thing about 500 times before I even got that much, plus fiddle around until I found out how to slow it down so it'd be easier to transcribe. And it took me forever to download quicktime so I could hear the stupid thing in the first place. So since AAC made no sense, I convinced myself the first A might have been an M, and 1S might mean 1st. So that gives me MAC, and someone whose "name is...first place". Since CaseyMac is first in the competition so far, in both years, I submitted "Casey" as the answer. This seems stupid and the actual answer obvious now, but it made some sense at the time. I did, however, think it was kind of weird to base the answer on a contestant, because you couldn't ask their permission without giving them an unfair advantage. I guess better luck next week. Now I wanna know where "Charles Dickens" came from.

Dude, that is awesome.

Best......Answer......Ever

No seriously, I had a crazy time translating that morse code too. I made the same mistake, too, thinking it was saying "Name is AAC'S place" until it clicked finally. This game has a way of making you feel really smart and really stupid at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 03:52:18 AM by CaseyMac »

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 04:26:51 AM »
Yay!  I'm happy that I got it right!  Yet, weeping because my goal was to score!  The weird thing is that I caught the anagram of Dennis Penfry as soon as I looked at the clue, but I just couldn't figure out what it meant.  It occurred to me Thursday afternoon about the Myspace page.  Tricky, tricky.

Enjoy my notes pages, complete with the post-its from when I had the Myspace revelation.  I, too, had to download Quicktime.

Offline laomaktk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 08:28:23 AM »
I started off by googling Dennis, thankfully it came up with absolutely no hits otherwise I would have been on a wild goose chase.  My next thought was the anagram was off to myspace.  Decifering the morse code took me the longest.  Heck the only actual morse code I knew was SOS and that was from the comercial with the pots and pans.

Offline DirtyEarl

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 09:02:11 AM »
I spent at least an hour listening to that morse code and was close in the end.  YGDSAAC?SPLAKI just didn't make much sense when I was tired.  My morse code table didn't have apostrophe in it either, that may have helped.  Good job everyone.

Offline scullyag

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 09:06:34 AM »
You know what's sad....I actually made it past the second part....I just stupidly couldn't figure out what to do then. <insert image....mad at self> Well, there's always next week.

Congrats all!

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 09:14:04 AM »
I REALLY loved this hunt!!  You find, as you play this game, that sometimes you get lucky and a hunt just fits into your way of thinking.  Obviously, that hasn't happened much for me this year!! ;)

I had an interesting idea to figure out the morse code.  I'm TERRIBLE at decoding sounds.  Can't make out the dots and dashes worth a darned!!  So immediately I thought that I needed to find and download an Audio Editing program.  You see, when editing audio, it gives you a graphic display of the audio, and I new I'd be able to clearly make out the dots and dashes.  I found the software after about 20 minutes of searching.  But then I realized that the stupid file was an MOV movie file, and not an MP3 file (I was ready to drive to DC and beat the crap out of Sledge at this point ;) )

So then I started searching for software that would convert a MOV file to MP3.  That killed another 20 minutes or so.  Finally, once I had it, the Audio Editing software showed exactly where the dots and dashes were.  Only took me about 5 minutes to decode.  I did have some trouble with the apostrphy, but I had pretty much already figured it out by that point.  Very nicely done. (and I forgive you Sledge, for being so tricky).

Offline LAN

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 10:00:36 AM »
Dang, soooo close to my first points.  I am definitely addicted now.  That was a great one Sledge...   So heres my story....
---wasted about an hour researching L Ron Hubbards dad, the guy who's navy records we were looking at.
---I too am glad that penfry DID NOT have any results on google.
---Wasted approximately 13 minutes total listening to "The Sloop John B" on Pen's myspace page...  Ok, i wouldnt say wasted, that song rocks.  I never knew.  And it still astounds me how much time the LOST guys must take picking out the music.   They are always perfect for the mood and are ALWAYS connected to the happenings on the show.   "Why don't they let me go hoooooome? Yeah Yeah This is the worst trip, I've ever been on"   In fact, I feel a firing is pending since the last week I just keep belting out these lyrics in the office. 
---Morse code is much harder to decode than I ever expected.  How hard could it be to discern dots from dashes?   Very hard, and was a good brain excercise.    Dirty Earl, I too couldnt get away from "YG" as the beginning.  Got very frustrated and wanted to give up a couple of times.  Card acct, you have no idea how similar your Morse notes were to mine.  Including the scratched out stuff, letters above and below the dots/dashes.  Multiple run throughs etc.  All signs of genius!    :)

Thanks Sledge, rock on everyone...gotta go fire up the John B again.....ciao
LAN 

Offline MBJ

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 10:11:13 AM »
I'll admit it...I was one of the Charles Dickens people.  I got "Penny's friend," and I remembered that her myspace page had "Our Mutual Friend" by Dickens as one of her favorite books.  I KNEW that was too simple, but I did it anyway.  Pity, because I'm about to hit rock bottom on the list of high scorers!  Actually, I'm kind of glad I didn't get to the Morse code part, because like others, I have never been able to hear the difference between a dot and a dash, and I rarely have my speakers on, so it would have been an even more frustrating dead end for me!  Good hunt Sledge....even though I failed miserably....

Offline lauren27

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 05:07:05 PM »
i just got stuck on the apostrophe.  i listened to the recording so many times i've seriously memorized it now.  so while i didn't get any points in this hunt, at least i learned morse code.

Offline chadley420

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 05:11:27 PM »
The Morse code was pretty hard to decipher.  The first translator I found did not have an apostraphe in the conversion.  I got Name at the begining and Place at the end.  Then I thought it was Name Is A A??? Place.  Then I thought it should be An istead of A since the next letter was A also.  After listening to it another 500 times, I went to another site and finally figured it out to be an apostraphe.   

After playing or attempting to play last year with a total of 0 points, the last three weeks I was 11th = 0 points, close, then 6th = 5, then this week 4th = 7 for a total of 12 which is a mass improvement from last year.  So those who wanna give up because they seem tough, keep at it and you will improve. 

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 05:27:54 PM »
What amazes me, is that people actually can INSTANTLY translate this stuff. In fact, the speed of the morse code in this hunt is slow. People who actually have experience with morse code transmit much faster, and decode easily at those higher speeds. I put myself through the torture just to see how hard it was while creating the hunt - and it was pretty bad. I actually had a few more steps involved in getting TO the morse code, but then after working through the code myself - I thought that it was a good enough challenge alone.

Offline chadley420

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2006, 06:17:31 PM »
I give props to whomever can translate Morse Code instantly.  That was the first time I have had to translate Morse Code and I hope it will be a long time until I have to do it again.

Offline Evilrabbit

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2006, 09:44:08 PM »
.  Card acct, you have no idea how similar your Morse notes were to mine.  Including the scratched out stuff, letters above and below the dots/dashes.  Multiple run throughs etc.  All signs of genius!    :)

Mine look very similar too. In numerous places I have letters on top and bottom because I couldn't tell which it was. I ended up opening the quicktime player to the URL with the video, and opening up the A/V controls which let you slow it down to 1/2 speed, and adjusting the pitch shift can also slow it down a bit more. Even then I had trouble. Good thing Danielle's transmission wasn't in Morse code, because then you'd need somebody who could transcribe Morse code and somebody who could translate it into French, and then Shannon who could translate it into English to all work together, and the battery would be dead by then.

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2006, 04:00:21 AM »
Yeah, I thought it was hard.  Especially around the apostrophe and P L parts.  I had to abandon my attempts for a little while and return with a fresh brain.  After I did that, I paid attention to where the breaks were so I could figure out when the new word was starting.  This is why I had a completely new page that looked neater.  I also made use of a morse code translater so I could hear the differences in what I was doing to what I entered.  That's what tipped me off about the apostrophe.  I realized that it was all one "letter."

LAN:  Yeah... you must be a genius!

Evilrabbit:  Laughing at what you wrote about the battery...  I thought of slowing the morse code down, too.  Good idea.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 04:47:51 AM by Cardacct »

Offline DevilishinVA

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2006, 05:33:55 PM »
When I got to the morse code, I tried to decode it. Downloaded 3 programs, converted the .mov file to .wav file from a program I already had. NOTHING WORKED!! LOL
So I gave up, ugh!