Author Topic: Snopes.com  (Read 2661 times)

Michelle13

Snopes.com
« on: July 07, 2006, 09:06:03 PM »
If you get emails like mine, you're flooded with false promises of riches for forwarding emails, threats about virus threats, prayers and demands for prayers, and the most horrible one of them all...proving that I don't love Jesus by not forwarding it to 100 people..

So here's my point. Snopes.com is a resource for checking the accuracy of all your forwarding emails. Even checking into REAL threats, etc. They are accurate and reliable IMHO.

I would like to have all of you start posting your silliest emails that you've received. I think it's funny to go over some of them. Will this be ok??

Here's something I found on there tonight..enjoy

http://www.snopes.com/info/notes/sonspam.asp

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 09:17:02 PM »
I have one comment to make, and it is that I hate Pearlas Sandborn and have made it my personal goal (and have succeeded) to reply back to anyone who sends me that awful e-mail with a link to a site that pretty much comes out and makes you feel stupid for forwarding it on.

That is all.

Michelle13

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 09:21:43 PM »
I was confused at first Cardi. I thought you were mad cuz of my snopes.com thread, but...after searching snopes.com for Pearlas Sandborn, I know now what you are getting at.

Power to the people!!

Michelle13

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 09:25:09 PM »
No one has any good ones??? Wow, should I lock this then??

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 12:29:51 PM »
I dn't have time to find the link but I L-O-V-E sending people who send me warnings links to snopes... Recently someone sent me the warning that there were people in the Walmart parking lot offering cheap knockoff perfume, but its really chloroform or ether and when you smell it, you're knocked out and robbed and dumped somewhere. The writer has great explanations as to why thats impossible. It's one of my favorite sites also because you can browse it when bored for hours!

Michelle13

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 01:28:02 PM »
I dn't have time to find the link but I L-O-V-E sending people who send me warnings links to snopes... Recently someone sent me the warning that there were people in the Walmart parking lot offering cheap knockoff perfume, but its really chloroform or ether and when you smell it, you're knocked out and robbed and dumped somewhere. The writer has great explanations as to why thats impossible. It's one of my favorite sites also because you can browse it when bored for hours!

hehehe, that's what we do...

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 02:04:34 PM »
I got an e-mail warning this week and the person who sent it to me put in the subject line "Verified by Snopes!" because she knew that otherwise I'd question it. She had to send out apologies to about 80 people after I sent her the page exposing one of those missing kid hoaxes. The verified warning was about a jury duty scheme to get soc. security # and other personal info, but I had already seen it on the news.

Michelle13

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 07:47:33 PM »
I just got one talking about men carjacking by posting a letter on the back window and when you back up you see the paper, hop out to get it, they take the car...yada yada yada....

I can do nothing to stop these people!! ::)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 12:26:55 AM »
i love this site get saomuch fake junk emaillove topoke holes in crap with quotes from this site.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 02:20:53 AM »
yup it's def worth just surfing snopes...lots of cool stuff there

Offline CastawayCayley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 12:38:46 AM »
I've also recently discovered they have a pretty good message board. When I can't get on here, that's where I end up. It's labeled as "snopes community" I think.

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 03:20:59 AM »
cool, I'll have to check it out...

Offline Jordanoth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 04:14:01 AM »
i google the subject line of all my forwards, get the article attesting to its falsety and then send it to the sucker who sent it to me.. after a while the flood slows to a trickle..

Michelle13

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 10:03:09 PM »
I remember when  I first found the site, I replied to anyone that sent me a false email like that....um...not too many people email me now. LOL

Offline LouE68

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 06:20:43 AM »
I just send all the peopel that send me false emails snopes.com and they usually stop sending me stuff