Author Topic: HUNT 2-3  (Read 19076 times)

Offline lauren27

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HUNT 2-3
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2006, 10:26:17 PM »
last Wednesday, on the first evening, i went to myspace by accident but went to the wrong penny profile.  it wasn't until today that i went to the right myspace, and i got it wrong because i had to rush

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2006, 10:41:23 PM »
OMG, I could totally KICK myself for not getting this one.  Here is why:

1) I didn't get the postit clue right away.  The first thing I did was google the names.. Sperling and Gizmo... and I came up on the pet clone site like many of you did (since the letter is taken word-for-word off that site).  I wasted time thinking that THAT place... since it was in Austin, TX, was significant, and was searching for internet phone books that listed email addresses (since I had gone to Ask Lenny for the Penny@cubit.com clue).  I even got hung up on Four Corners, TX, since this is a town near Austin, and started looking for clues there.

2) I randomly ended up on MySpace because I have an account on it, and thought to myself, you can search by emails there.  So I found Penny in an hour or two... only later did I have the epiphany about what "four corners" refered to, but then it didn't help me get any further.

3) I was stuck there for a longggg time.  I googled for "95 theses" lyrics endlessly, and came up with nothing except Martin Luther sites.  For a while I even though the answer might be Luther himself, since I found some references to the fact that he also revolutionized religious music, and references to a myth that his hymns were based on pub songs. 

4)  I still waited for the second clue.  I suspected Knightsbridge was a clue the night before, but went full on attack after that.  I thought I heard something about the Beetles and Knightsbridge, which would be the right time period.  But in the process, I found a lot of my hits were going to The Clash.  They had a song that became a banner lyric called "Sten Guns over Knightsbridge".  I also found a lot of links to their music being at the roots of what's called Pub Music, in wikipedia.  I didn't think it was perfect, but lacking something better, I put it down.

Now in retrospect I am kicking myself over and over!!!  Because I knew both Lucy and Pen shared Knightsbridge in common, posted about it before, saw Sledge's investigations about it, so I knew he knew and thought it was interesting.  But for the life of me, I couldn't think of a group other than Driveshaft.  I even went to Lucy's profile page here and looked it over, and couldn't find anything on a band.  I forgot to look at HER FATHER's page here, and I suck for forgetting that, since I work with the index files a lot... no excuse!!  That flashback statement about the name of his geeky band totally skipped my mind, but I remember even chuckling about it when I first saw it.

Hah... and I'm back for more torture.  I think I don't have a clue now on 2-4 either... I am a masochist.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 10:46:19 PM by Pandora »

Offline abbiegail444

• Island Native
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2006, 10:47:13 PM »
Hee hee...I finally got some points this year.

Offline scullyag

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2006, 10:51:04 PM »
OK, OK, I answered Pala Ferry...and here's why.....I figured the letter was just to throw us off and focused more on the sticky note. I noticed that the initials were PW and since the letter was signed by Lenny I asked Lenny about Porter, Walt. Lenny said that he was in there talking backwards so it made sense that I should look at Walt's profile which led me to the boat and eventually the "four betrayed" which I thought could be the four corners...you know the book  of Revelations says "After this, I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth...".

Then, after thinking to myself that that was just too easy (and after already having submitted Pala Ferry), I figured I'd search on Gizmo. Asked Lenny about Gizmo. Thought about the movie "Gremlins". And then after the hint I just knew the answer had to be New York City :-)

Oh well....what can I say...it was fun...thanks Sledge.

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2006, 12:09:45 AM »
scullyag - I'm glad that you thought of NYC, too.

...and here, for all of your viewing pleasure, is my notes page.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 12:14:19 AM by Cardacct »

Offline Katefreak

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2006, 02:20:08 AM »
It took me a long, long time (Tues morning) to get as far as 95 Theses.  Searching for songs, I found that 95 Reasons is used interchangably with 95 Theses.  An American gospel group named First Call recorded 95 Reasons in 1993 (would a 35 year old woman think of herself as a kid at 22?) and it was included on an album called London is Calling.  I knew I was far afield of Lost by this time but it was the best I could do.

Sledge, thought you were giving a shout out to the band 95 Theses in Lexington with this thread.

Offline DirtyEarl

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2006, 09:50:55 AM »
"Remember that girl, Lucy, that Charlie was trying to con in Season 1? Remember how he went and had dinner with Lucy and her father? Remember when Lucy's father talked about how he use to be in a band! The "95 Theses" clue was to confirm your suspicions that the final answer is Francis Price Heatheron's old band:"

I never watched that episode

Offline laomaktk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 13, 2006, 11:14:38 AM »
After I spent 3 days searching about that darn cloned cat and the 4 corner, the light bulb went on and I noticed the corners of the sticky. I found penny's clue quickly, but then spent another day looking at Martin Luther.  With the hint I went the same direction as several other guesses and looked at Culture Club, the Clash, and the Beatles.  I also found a comparison between a Yes song and the 95 Theses.  I submitted Drive Shaft even though I knew it was wrong just so I would stop driving myself crazy.  I never would have come up with the right answer.

Offline DirtyEarl

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 13, 2006, 03:06:08 PM »
I figured to look on myspace when Lenny gave the penny@cubit.net clue - I figured I'd be looking for some sort of personal profile, that's the only one I know that you can search by email.  Didn't look at the corners of the sticky notes, but I was very close to looking for ads in Four Corners, Wyoming.

BTW - Sledge, since you can access the directories for both Lenny and Dave, you can see whic one has been updated on the day of the clue.  ie http://lost.cubit.net/lenny/ was last modified July 5th.  You might want to block that since it pretty much is a hint in inself.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 13, 2006, 03:50:35 PM »
OK, just so that everybody here doesn't think I'm some genius, here is how I got lucky last week.

Like everybody else, I started off googling the names on the letter, but as a shot in the dark I decided to ask Lenny about the people too since he wrote the letter. So, now I had the e-mail, I just had to find where to look. Then, bam, the 4 corners epiphany that we felt.

So, it took no time to find Penny's page, and luckily I didn't have my speakers on or else the beach boys song playing would have thrown me off. So, I'm looking the the song title "95 Theses" and keep coming up with Martin Luther stuff.

I have a hunch that it might be something fictional, so I start looking around for some Driveshaft connection. As I was looking for that connection, I came across the conversation between Charlie and Lucy's dad and saw "The Protestant Reformation"

That name instantly clicked for me because I had just finished looking at all the Martin Luther stuff. So, I sat on my answer for about 5 minutes to make sure it didn't lead me somewhere else and then just submitted.

I just got lucky by finding what I was looking for. Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. I had much worse luck with Hunt 2-4 lol

Offline bellalainie

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2006, 05:58:01 PM »
CaseyMac   You can be self deprecating all you want but you kicked butt on this Hunt.  Major kudos to you cuz Hunt 2-3 was v-e-r-y  brain aching. Great job Case!  Glad to see your name back up on the winner's board Abbie--it was just a matter of time!!

Offline Hobbes

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2006, 06:29:00 AM »
Well, at least I got the answer :)  As I said before, it just clicked with me on the third day.  Congrats to Caseymac fopr gettign it that quickly  :o

Damn though :P I finally had some sort of lead, I go on a measely 4-day vacation, and come back to find the next round already over :P.  Well, I guess that's what I get.  Hopefully I can catch up next week (yeah right ;))