Author Topic: HUNT 2-2  (Read 9177 times)

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: HUNT 2-2
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 11:42:58 PM »
Well, I look at this as a good thing, because it messes up strategy. Trying to figure out WHEN to submit is part of the game. If you get use to submit late, or waiting for the clue, it could hurt you. But, if you get use to submitting early, going for the points, that could get you in trouble as well. So, it is always my intention to have some hunts that are quick, and some that are very long.

Yeah, that was exactly the debate I was having in my head as I was getting ready to submit. So, Sledge, when did you turn to this life of evil? j/k

Offline scavenger81

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 11:46:15 PM »
Wow!  I'm impressed.  Good job everyone who got it already.

I was stuck looking in The Orange County Register employment section for a Regional Collections Supervisor position, or any job in Tustin or in a box company.  Totally missed the craigslist thing.

Another great one, Sledge, but now it's going to be a really long wait until next week. :D

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 11:51:02 PM »
So, we are all tired of the hunt now, right? It's been a good long 2 weeks, so we can just end it now, right? I mean, don't get me wrong, this is tons of fun, but everything comes to an end. Let's just tally up the points now, and whoever is in first place can be the winner, whoever that might be.  ;)

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 11:59:31 PM »
I can't believe i totally forgot the date. :(  Aw man, it was solved before I even got to it... gotta be more careful.

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 12:24:40 AM »
I can't believe i totally forgot the date. :(  Aw man, it was solved before I even got to it... gotta be more careful.

that's what happens when yer gallavanting with the boys...

Offline AstroJones

• OTHERS 
  • Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 12:30:02 AM »
Well, I have to say that this week was very disappointing for me.  I think that figuring out the answer, and not getting it submitted in time is worse than getting it wrong!!

I Follow the same path as everyone else and got to the answer pretty quickly, but wasn't convinced I was right.  I was about to submit, but decided to wait for about twenty minutes and look around some more.  My mistake!!

Not really any funny moments for me this week.  Other than searching the Register for a job for about 30 minutes.  Once I got off that kick, I moved along very quickly.  I do think that I like the harder ones better.  :D

Great job to everyone who completed this one and got points.  And 14 minutes!!! OMG!!!!  Great Job!!

Offline Hobbes

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 12:39:02 AM »
ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!  I had this answer in 25 minutes, but then I had to leave for my awards ceremony at school  (I didn't enter since I was worried about the "ACCOUNTPRO" thing).  Came back just now, and you all already found it all. blah.  Good hunt Sledge, but that was WAY too quick :( us hesitators who take it slow to make sure we got the answer got creamed.  :P

Offline chadley420

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 12:43:02 AM »
I was surprised at myself for figuring out craigslist without realizing that the first letter of the blanked out words were underlined.

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 02:56:18 AM »
I was surprised at myself for figuring out craigslist without realizing that the first letter of the blanked out words were underlined.

They were underlined?

Offline DevilishinVA

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 09:01:53 AM »
Same dilemma like last year, not knowing when to actually submit an answer. This one was just too easy so I decided to wait. Reminds me of the Katrina one last year.
The first thing I did was googled Orange County Register because I noticed all the underlines. I found the article & wrote the words down. Went to craigslist, which was already in my favorites, found the job listing. Then used the same ASCII decoder I've been using for TLE (I knew/assumed Sledge would have something like this also in one of THE HUNTS), got Davids Boat. Knew the name of the boat was Elizabeth. Then I debated with that can't be the final answer, there's gotta be more. Ugh!
Way to go to those who got points/entered right answer!!

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 09:30:30 AM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

i couldn't check out the hunt last night, our dsl was down, again, so i thought i would work on it this morning.  too late.  darn.  maybe next week.

Offline DirtyEarl

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 10:14:40 AM »
Glad I didn't rush home to get a start on this - next week I'll plan better.

As for ASCII decoding, I use word or excel, hold down ATL while typing the numbers.  Decodes it automaticall.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 01:55:01 PM »

As for ASCII decoding, I use word or excel, hold down ATL while typing the numbers.  Decodes it automaticall.

How do you do OCTAL ASCII decoding while holding down the Alt key?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 02:00:13 PM by HansoJr »

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 02:27:45 PM »

How do you do OCTAL ASCII decoding while holding down the Alt key?

HOLD Alt while typing the number on your numeric 10 key...

ex:

ALT+130 = , ALT+13 = ♪

Offline korndiddy

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »
Same thing happened to me.  Oh well...I can always get the wrong answer next week....