Author Topic: HUNT 2-2  (Read 9176 times)

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
HUNT 2-2
« on: June 28, 2006, 06:53:03 PM »
Hunt 2-2 begins tonight at 9pm EST. You can use this area to discuss THE HUNT, but you cannot help one another or post any information that you've come across in THE HUNT until this particular HUNT is complete. Once THE HUNT is over, you can share your answers and discuss how you arrived at your conclusions, where you went wrong, etc. (BTW guys, you all can start new topics in this area - or at least you should be able to - so you don't have to wait for me to create a new HUNT topic).

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: HUNT 2-2
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 07:06:11 PM »
I guess that last part was probably directed towards me.

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 07:18:04 PM »
Well, just something I've noticed in general here... people seem willing/eager to participate in disucssion in existing topics, but a bit hesitant to create topics of their own.

Anywho, I made an addition to the standings information, I've added a third column for SERIES TOTALS (includes points from the first season of The Hunt). This is just for fun, and bragging rights: http://lost.cubit.net/th2_1.php

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 10:07:32 PM »
Hunt 2-2 is up. Good luck!

Offline headee

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:43:53 PM »
woo hoo, i just submitted my answer, and i'm pretty sure i'm right. i actually got points last week (2), which was a first for me... last year i was always a few days late messing with the HUNTS.

Offline laomaktk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:49:41 PM »
aaahhhh!!!!  I think I got the right answer, but I got it so quickly I'm afraid it's wrong.  I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Offline lauren27

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 11:10:37 PM »
The hunt is now "solved," so I guess I can discuss solutions here.  I submitted at 9:38 PM and this is how I did it:

See the article on the left?  Find the real one at: http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/atoz/article_1195648.php  The words that are crossed out are:

counties
ringleader
agents
inquiry
group
shop
local
inquiry
state
the

The left-hand column spells "craigslist."  The second article in the image says to look for a job today.  Go to the Orange County Craigslist and search for jobs in Tustin (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=103&subAreaID=&query=tustin&catAbbreviation=jjj).  There is one job by Randy to fill Locke's position (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/acc/176554167.html) which features the numbers a lot.

One of the requirements is octal to ASCII decoding.  There is also a code at the bottom.  Using this chart (http://www.lookuptables.com/) you decode it to:

104 D
141 a
166 v
151 i
144 d
047 '
163 s
142 b
157 o
141 a
164 t

According to SWLS (http://lost.cubit.net/indexView.php?id=141), David's boat was "The Elizabeth," and this is the answer I submitted.

Offline laomaktk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 11:12:59 PM »
I can't believe it's been solved so quickly!  I hope I got in quick enough.

Offline lauren27

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 11:14:24 PM »
I can't believe it's been solved so quickly!  I hope I got in quick enough.

Same!  I solved it at 9:38, and when I went to check at 10:06, it was solved!  Some things that held me up: (a) I kept searching Monster jobs before I realized it was Craigslist, (b) I couldn't find the Orange County Craigslist at first and kept going to Los Angelos, which is nearby, and (c) I couldn't find an octal to ASCII program and it took a while before I did it by hand.

Offline laomaktk

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 11:18:25 PM »
I got hung up on craigslist; I didn't realize there was more than one.  I spent all my time looking in san francisco.  Well at least I got 1 point.

Offline lauren27

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 11:24:53 PM »
Wow!  I submitted at 9:38 (four minutes after third place) and got fourth, yet tenth place was only at 9:47, nine minutes later!  Basically, that means that, if I had waited longer, my score would have gone down by 1 point per minute.  I got it just in the nick of time!

Offline Cardacct

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 11:26:06 PM »
My humor column for this week:

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 11:37:19 PM »
Since the job posting has been removed, this is what was posted, for the record:

Regional Collections Supervisor (Tustin, CA)

Box supply company is looking to fulfill a Regional Collections Supervisor position that has been vacant for nearly two years. Final posting.

Responsibilities:

*Staffs, manages, and motivates a team of 4-8 employees
*Sets collection goals for individual collectors, and works with the Manager to monitor performance against these objectives
*Assists collectors with collection of accounts and more difficult issues, including frequent visits to customer accounts as needed
*Reviews aged trial balance to highlight collection problems and potential bad debts. On a daily basis, summarizes and analyzes reports, prepares reports and other statistical data for inclusion in the management reports. Assures timely and accurate reports where they bear the responsibility.
*Prepares team member's performance appraisals, subject to Manager approval.
*Assists in collection of problem accounts
*Responsible for 1st level approval for credits, adjustments, refunds and collection accounts. Tracks and records payroll for direct reports
*Performs other duties as assigned.

Qualifications:

*OCTAL ASCII DECODING
*Minimum of 15 years management or supervisory experience is required and 16 years business collection experience is required.
*Experience in use of collection tools & techniques are required.
*PC experience & aptitude is required.
*Must be willing to travel 42 days/quarter.
*Must be familiar with ACCOUNTPRO

Email me, Randy, if you are interested in this position

(Internal tracking: 104 141 166 151 144 047 163 040 142 157 141 164)

* Job location is Tustin, CA
    * Compensation: $23K/Year
    * no -- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    * no -- Please, no phone calls about this job!
    * no -- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
    * no -- Reposting this message elsewhere is NOT OK.

Offline CaseyMac

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 11:38:39 PM »
Yeah, I mean my personal record was like 45 mins. I think, and that was on a really easy one. Whoever did this one in 14 mins. is a freaking genius. 14 mins. I mean dang, 14 mins. I'm with you though Lauren. You probably submitted just a minute or 2 in front of me and I was thinking about sitting on my answer a little longer, but it's a good thing I submitted when I did.

Offline sledgeweb

• HIM
  • In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 11:40:44 PM »
Well, I look at this as a good thing, because it messes up strategy. Trying to figure out WHEN to submit is part of the game. If you get use to submit late, or waiting for the clue, it could hurt you. But, if you get use to submitting early, going for the points, that could get you in trouble as well. So, it is always my intention to have some hunts that are quick, and some that are very long.