Author Topic: A Matter of Perspective--Make Your Own Kind of Music  (Read 29393 times)

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
A Matter of Perspective--Make Your Own Kind of Music
« on: June 28, 2006, 04:35:05 AM »
I'm so dumb....the writers gave us huego clues in Man of Science Man of Faith--and I think we were all so excited that we missed many things.  First off, MOSMOF opens with the open eye--indicating from whose perspective the show will be ... MOSMOF opens with Jack's eye.  It isn't Desmond's.  If you go to LostMedia and click on MOSMOF you'll see.  We just all assumed it was Desmond's eye since he was intricately involved in the storyline and was new.  At least I did.

It always bothered me that we never saw Desmond's face in the beginning of MOSMOF and I still believe we saw two different hatches--they weren't technical errors, I believe the differences, while slight, were specifically there to clue us in that perhaps 2 people put in similar circumstances might either a) do the same thing; or b) differ from eachother.  Like the Skinner Box experiment....  Whether they were clones or twins--what would each do in the exact same environment?  The most telling and convincing point to demonstrate this was the condition of the keyboards we saw--there were two.  One was new, one was VERY old.  Were we watching the same episode from two different perspectives or were there two different hatches?  Remember when we first saw the Quarantine sign on the hatch door?  It was red.  In S2, it was black.

The second clue was the song, "Make Your Own Kind of Music."  It was VERY prevalent and a focus part of MOSMOF but I didn't pay any attention to it because I wanted to know what was inside that goddamned hatch. 

~make your own kind of music, sing your own special song, make your own kind of music, even if nobody else sings along... you're going to be nowhere, the lonliest kind of lonely,  it may be rough going, just to do your thing, the hardest thing to do~ 

Make Your Own Kind of Music was chosen just as specifically as everything else on the show--and that was to demonstrate or lead you to where the show is going, I think at least.   I believe this to be true, particularly, because it's the ONLY song that's been featured so prevalently in any epi--including those where Hugo's wearing his headset.

We've talked of redemption and how most characters who have supposedly redeemed themselves end up dead.  Did they finally make their own kind of music?

ACK!  Anyone else have any ideas to add?
cheers
*Des8
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 04:36:49 AM by Desmond8MyPopRocks »

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: A Matter of Perspective--Make Your Own Kind of Music
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 09:57:36 AM »
wow!!  i'm following you, i think this is possible.  so are you saying there are 2 desmonds?  or just 2 different people in hatches that are the same?  this would also explain on the pearl when locke and eko are watching the swan, and no one is seen, and the props are different.  maybe they weren't really watching the swan that we know, but another hatch, just like the swan.  hmm..  this is a pretty cool theory. 

misspensinger

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 02:47:20 PM »
Great post des.

Ladybug, they do see Jack in the swan from the pearl.  And Locke flashes back to it in Live together, die alone.

Must go watch MOSMOF now...man!

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 02:48:50 PM »
Great post des.

Ladybug, they do see Jack in the swan from the pearl.

that's right i forgot, but the props are different (remember there isn't the mess on the table, or beside the sink).  do we actually see jack's face? 

misspensinger

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 02:50:09 PM »
Well, I just watched the finale last night...again...and I definetely saw Jack in the Lockes flashback.

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 02:55:45 PM »
Great post des.

that's right i forgot, but the props are different (remember there isn't the mess on the table, or beside the sink).  do we actually see jack's face? 
Lady:
Correct that we do see Jack's face, but there is no dead Libby or Ana Lucia, no blood on the floor and we only see Jack walk casually by the camera--he's not hurried, upset etc., that there are 2 dead LOSTies in the hatch.

Makes you wonder.....

cheers
*Des8

misspensinger

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 02:57:10 PM »
NO!!  You are not going with the clone theory!!

WHY Des??  WHY??

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 03:03:33 PM »
I'VE FIGURED IT OUT, SEE IF YOU CAN FOLLOW ME!!
what we see on the video when Locke and Eko are in the Pearl isn't the Swan hatch it's

dumroll please

the "hatch" on the iceburg we see at the end of the season, you know the one with Jack's clone in it!!!!!

(i'm really just kidding, please don't throw anything at me!!)

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 03:11:39 PM »
what we see on the video when Locke and Eko are in the Pearl isn't the Swan hatch it's

dumroll please
the "hatch" on the iceburg we see at the end of the season, you know the one with Jack's clone in it!!!!!

<whew> I thought you might be talking about the dharma logo on their ears in purgatory.  Glad we cleaned that one up!

;)

cheers
*Des8

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 03:12:56 PM »
NO!!  You are not going with the clone theory!!

WHY Des??  WHY??

LOL...I'm just pointing out that it is a possibility, particularly if you consider the whole two hatch thing, which I personally believe to be true.

Doesn't anyone else wonder why the finale is from Jack's perspective and not Desmond's, since it was a Des-centric epi?

*Des8

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 07:24:41 PM »

dumroll please

Take away that woman's bazooka!

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 11:45:35 PM »
Great post des.

Lady:
Correct that we do see Jack's face, but there is no dead Libby or Ana Lucia, no blood on the floor and we only see Jack walk casually by the camera--he's not hurried, upset etc., that there are 2 dead LOSTies in the hatch.

Makes you wonder.....

cheers
*Des8

OK, I've got another theory.....
I saw a movie (maybe several movies) where a video security system was set up to play a pre-recorded tape on a loop over and over again, to deceive the people watching the monitors.  They thought they were seeing a live picture, but it was a tape.  Maybe that's why Jack seems so untroubled as he walks past the camera.  There was nothing to be troubled about untiil later.
(If you know what movie that was just jump in with the title.... Was it Ocean's Eleven?)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 12:01:18 AM »
I'm so dumb....the writers gave us huego clues in Man of Science Man of Faith--and I think we were all so excited that we missed many things.  First off, MOSMOF opens with the open eye--indicating from whose perspective the show will be ... MOSMOF opens with Jack's eye.  It isn't Desmond's.  If you go to LostMedia and click on MOSMOF you'll see.  We just all assumed it was Desmond's eye since he was intricately involved in the storyline and was new.  At least I did.

It always bothered me that we never saw Desmond's face in the beginning of MOSMOF and I still believe we saw two different hatches--they weren't technical errors, I believe the differences, while slight, were specifically there to clue us in that perhaps 2 people put in similar circumstances might either a) do the same thing; or b) differ from eachother.  Like the Skinner Box experiment....  Whether they were clones or twins--what would each do in the exact same environment?  The most telling and convincing point to demonstrate this was the condition of the keyboards we saw--there were two.  One was new, one was VERY old.  Were we watching the same episode from two different perspectives or were there two different hatches?  Remember when we first saw the Quarantine sign on the hatch door?  It was red.  In S2, it was black.

The second clue was the song, "Make Your Own Kind of Music."  It was VERY prevalent and a focus part of MOSMOF but I didn't pay any attention to it because I wanted to know what was inside that goddamned hatch. 

~make your own kind of music, sing your own special song, make your own kind of music, even if nobody else sings along... you're going to be nowhere, the lonliest kind of lonely,  it may be rough going, just to do your thing, the hardest thing to do~ 

Make Your Own Kind of Music was chosen just as specifically as everything else on the show--and that was to demonstrate or lead you to where the show is going, I think at least.   I believe this to be true, particularly, because it's the ONLY song that's been featured so prevalently in any epi--including those where Hugo's wearing his headset.

We've talked of redemption and how most characters who have supposedly redeemed themselves end up dead.  Did they finally make their own kind of music?

ACK!  Anyone else have any ideas to add?
cheers
*Des8
Des as always you raise some interesting points but no no clones allowed.
The writing was red the first time around but in bigger larger letters.When i rewatched Man of Science Man of faith I noticed the writing on the hatch door then was red.In finale of season 2 when Eko sees it is black,same one that lands on the beach at the  end is black.Have to think about the differetn computer keyboards.
But the tape in The Pearl was looped from other footage.Ocean's Eleven was one of many movies that used this.Why "they"would do this is an intersting question though,since the notes landed in an in enviornmentally incorrect tube cannister junk pile.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 12:03:26 AM »

dumroll please

Take away that woman's bazooka!
No don't she loaned it to me in Dharma lounge and  shewas so lost without it until Icould pry it off magentized ceiling use it and return itto  her, her helmet still has a dent in it from me :( :(

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 02:18:56 AM »

But the tape in The Pearl was looped from other footage.Ocean's Eleven was one of many movies that used this.Why "they"would do this is an intersting question though,since the notes landed in an in enviornmentally incorrect tube cannister junk pile.

Maybe "they" didn't do it.  Maybe Radzinsky did it.  Like he edited the Swan movie.  And somebody edited the video for the Pearl hatch I'm real sure.  Probably Radzinsky.  When Kate opened up one of the notebooks she read out loud "SR moved the ping pong* table... again (emphasis mine---SOL)"  I think the Swannies were up to something they didn't want the Pearlies to see.  Like maybe making the blast door map....

*The above post was modified to change "pool table" to "ping pong table".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 10:59:36 PM by Sweet Old Lady »