Author Topic: Theory on why everything is brought to the island  (Read 4758 times)

Offline sticks1983

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Theory on why everything is brought to the island
« on: June 17, 2006, 12:55:56 PM »
Well I have a theory, in science, magnetisn is realated (they think) to black holes in space. Now as you know, black holes pull in all matter that they can....

so maybe this very powerful electromagnet on the island is creating a "Mini" black hole and is sucking everything inward.

Did you notice that after Desmond turned the key, it was really windy outside, and then it slowly subsided.....(ex. where the "others" were standing)

I think this is a very good theory!

Please leave feedback with what you think

Offline sticks1983

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
add to post
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 01:06:44 PM »
also, since "the swan" is the center of this magnetic force, that things that are near the  center get repelled, hence the hatch door falling from the sky

Offline Sweet Old Lady

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Theory on why everything is brought to the island
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 01:40:22 PM »
Oh, good one!  Instead of a black hole, how about a wormhole?  Maybe connecting Nigeria to the Lost Island?  The Black Rock and the drug smugglers' plane both came from Nigeria a long way away from the island.  I don't know if wormholes exist in the real world, but they certainly do in sci-fi tv shows!

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 01:47:10 PM »

Heh he said wormhole... :) 

Offline sticks1983

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 01:49:44 PM »
no..... the baloon wasn't from nigeria

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 01:53:09 PM »
no..... the baloon wasn't from nigeria

We don't actually know where is was coming FROM or TO.  There is plenty of speculation, and it's pretty clear Widmore is involved but... Maybe there is more than one wormhole... Heh I said wormhole... :)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 03:28:31 AM »
Oh, good one!  Instead of a black hole, how about a wormhole?  Maybe connecting Nigeria to the Lost Island?  The Black Rock and the drug smugglers' plane both came from Nigeria a long way away from the island.  I don't know if wormholes exist in the real world, but they certainly do in sci-fi tv shows!
The black rock ship came from Mozambique new topic on that under Lost talk. NO time travel please producers promised us .

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: add to post
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 01:02:51 AM »
also, since "the swan" is the center of this magnetic force, that things that are near the  center get repelled, hence the hatch door falling from the sky
Sticks, didn't the Lockdown Map show the "?" to be the center of the hatches?  Maybe I missed something.  Could you enlighten me?  Thanks!

cheers
*Des8

Offline sticks1983

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 07:58:13 AM »
yea.... that may be the "center" of the map...... but the swan has the strong magnettic field in it. (ex. when Echo throws Charlies belt against the wall)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 01:13:09 PM »
Sticks, didn't the Lockdown Map show the "?" to be the center of the hatches?  Maybe I missed something.  Could you enlighten me?  Thanks!

cheers
*Des8

The question mark was in the center of the map,the word The Pearl was written way far off to the right side.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 04:08:26 PM »
Well I have a theory, in science, magnetisn is realated (they think) to black holes in space. Now as you know, black holes pull in all matter that they can....

so maybe this very powerful electromagnet on the island is creating a "Mini" black hole and is sucking everything inward.

Did you notice that after Desmond turned the key, it was really windy outside, and then it slowly subsided.....(ex. where the "others" were standing)

I think this is a very good theory!

Please leave feedback with what you think

Might work. Hmmm. Let's see. A black hole is basically a giant star that was too massive to disperse in an explosion when all of the hydrogen fuel was used up and thus collapsed in upon itself. It basically creates a "pucker" in the fabric of space/time and anything that gets within a certain distance of this pucker is sucked in (kinda like wealthy guys that come too close to Zsa Zsa Gabor). The "pull" associated with a black hole is gravitational and not magnetic, however.... a "dense core" or "dense body" say a meteorite of very high denstity (more dense than a core of iron) could produce a gravitational field that could then be harnessed to produce an electromagnetic field (an EMF generator). The "apparent" event horizon could be used to generate a magnetic field (and since electron flow occurs 90 degrees or perpendicular to magnetic flow, you could also use this to generate electricity and power the various hatches). Side note:
the "actual" event horizon is the outer shell of the black hole itself, or the distance at which escape from the gravitational pull is not possible. The "apparent" event horizon is basically the annulus where one can observe the debris field of what is being pulled into the "actual"event horizon. Escape from the apparent event horizon is possible, but not from the actual event horizon.

Severak feet if concrete (I think that in episode 4, season 2 Sayid said that the concrete was 8-10 feet thick??) would be needed to provide a buffer zone or simulate the annulus. However, if the annulus were not simulated on the surface, you could get such an attraction.... but I'm wondering:

1) It would have to be an extremely dense-core meteorite at the center.
2) why wouldn't the surface be protected as well?
3) what's with the 108 minutes?

:-\

misspensinger

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 04:15:42 PM »
Some reading material:

Electromagnetic radiation is a wave phenomena. Before attempting to understand electromagnetic radiation, let's first review a few properties of waves. A "wave" is a disturbance that is a function of time and/or space. A wave moves through a medium or space and transfers energy from point to point as it moves.

"Wave motion can be thought of as the transport of energy and momentum from one point in space to another without the transport of matter. In mechanical waves, e.g., water waves, waves on a string, or sound waves, the energy and momentum are transported by means of a disturbance in the medium that is propagated because the medium has elastic properties. On the other hand, in electromagnetic waves, the energy and momentum are carried by electric and magnetic fields, which can propagate through a vacuum."

For more: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiofrequencyradiation/electromagnetic_fieldmemo/electromagnetic.html

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 04:19:29 PM »
Some reading material:

Electromagnetic radiation is a wave phenomena. Before attempting to understand electromagnetic radiation, let's first review a few properties of waves. A "wave" is a disturbance that is a function of time and/or space. A wave moves through a medium or space and transfers energy from point to point as it moves.

"Wave motion can be thought of as the transport of energy and momentum from one point in space to another without the transport of matter. In mechanical waves, e.g., water waves, waves on a string, or sound waves, the energy and momentum are transported by means of a disturbance in the medium that is propagated because the medium has elastic properties. On the other hand, in electromagnetic waves, the energy and momentum are carried by electric and magnetic fields, which can propagate through a vacuum."

For more: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/radiofrequencyradiation/electromagnetic_fieldmemo/electromagnetic.html

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! So when you throw wave theory at me, I'm going to go to  particle theory!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_physics

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 04:22:11 PM »
Particle man, particle man
Doing the things a particle can
Whats he like? its not important
Particle man

Is he a dot, or is he a speck?
When hes underwater does he get wet?