Author Topic: Slaugtherhouse five  (Read 8512 times)

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Slaugtherhouse five
« on: June 02, 2006, 04:39:15 PM »
Arguably one of the best works of Vonnegut in which the main character finds himself in a world somewhere between reality and science fiction. There are numerous references to the deaths of living creatures. So it goes. These deaths are accompanied (a few times) by a violet light and a hum very similar to the violet light and hum that we can only assume killed Desmond (I think Locke and Eko are still alive). Claire at one point notes “A weird violet light and a hum.”  One exact reference in the book, and perhaps the most poignant is when the main character, Billy pilgrim, describes his own death exactly as it happens many years before the event takes place (in the human time continuum). “So Billy experiences death for a while. It is simply violet light and a hum. There isn’t anybody else there. Not even Billy pilgrim is there.”

Just a thought doesn’t really point to new developments on the island, from what I can see anyways. Feel free to throw some speculation my way.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:11:45 PM by TheGoodPeople »

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Slaugther house five
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 05:15:57 PM »
But Dresdon was hit by the first and worse fireball us Americans or anyone for that matter could ever ever do t oa city. It was a massive firestorm That city was no threat to us in any way.We destroyed centuries and centuries of art work.
I love Slaughter House Five,one of my favorite books by Vonnegut.
Perhaps you may want to repast this in Homages (planet of the Apes) as I see your point and I think producers are doing another one of their many homages here

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Slaugtherhouse five
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 06:22:04 PM »
Geronimo

I reposted in your homages thread but would still like to keep this thread open and kicking just incase any real speculation results. could be just an homage but also could be a clue into the death (or impermenance of thier deaths) of desmond and the whereabouts of locke and eko.

Again just a thought.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:24:01 PM by TheGoodPeople »

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 07:34:29 PM »
GoodPeople:  Interesting catch!  I like the idea.  It's very possible it's either a homage or an allusion (the line gets blurry, often similar) to the book... it is a unique sounding line. 

I would love to read some of these books again.  I'm a big Vonnegut fan, but my favorite is Cat's Cradle.. .there are probably not any of these direct line references to the show there, but it is set on an island, and as I recall, there are some interesting philosophies expounded about relationships between people and society...

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 02:20:33 AM »
Goodpeople:cool,I'll etyou know if anyone else picks up on the homage and will check back here to see if any new speculations ariseon your theory.

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 07:27:21 AM »
Arguably one of the best works of Vonnegut in which the main character finds himself in a world somewhere between reality and science fiction. There are numerous references to the deaths of living creatures. So it goes. These deaths are accompanied (a few times) by a violet light and a hum very similar to the violet light and hum that we can only assume killed Desmond (I think Locke and Eko are still alive). Claire at one point notes “A weird violet light and a hum.”  One exact reference in the book, and perhaps the most poignant is when the main character, Billy pilgrim, describes his own death exactly as it happens many years before the event takes place (in the human time continuum). “So Billy experiences death for a while. It is simply violet light and a hum. There isn’t anybody else there. Not even Billy pilgrim is there.”

Just a thought doesn’t really point to new developments on the island, from what I can see anyways. Feel free to throw some speculation my way.

Slaughterhouse Five was a great book, and I agree with your idea re: the violet light and a hum.  In saying so, I must say, I am particularly bothered that the writers have resulted to what I consider a plethora of plagairism--and I've said this over and over again.

How flipping difficult is it to make up your OWN story?  Um, people do it every day.  At this point, I really don't consider these to be "nods" to writers or authors, but rather reaching for stories that are already out there and build a story as a compilation of others' writings.  I'd really rather believe this not to be the case, but I cannot respect any writer, regardless of their writing medium, who regularly steals stories from others.  This is my biggest problem with LOST.

The gimmicky idea of throwing together a show that people can "search for the meaning" to is one thing--but plagairism is another deal altogether.  It's tiring and it's wrong, imho.  I'm sure the creative team doesn't consider it plagairism because they're stealing little parts here and there from various works of literary art, not the works in their entirety.  Wrong.

On this subject, I'm certain nobody agrees with me, but I take literature seriously and I consider it to be sacrosanct.  A few nods here and there are one thing, but in my opinion, it's beyond a nod here and there.

Is this menagerie and compilation of literature part of the ultimate end story?  I sure as hell hope so.  I'd hate to think I've been watching this sh!t, supporting plagairists.  I'd rather read the NYT.

harsh cheers
*Des8
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 07:34:43 AM by Desmond8MyPopRocks »

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 02:22:23 PM »

Slaughterhouse Five was a great book, and I agree with your idea re: the violet light and a hum.  In saying so, I must say, I am particularly bothered that the writers have resulted to what I consider a plethora of plagairism--and I've said this over and over again.

How flipping difficult is it to make up your OWN story?  Um, people do it every day.  At this point, I really don't consider these to be "nods" to writers or authors, but rather reaching for stories that are already out there and build a story as a compilation of others' writings.  I'd really rather believe this not to be the case, but I cannot respect any writer, regardless of their writing medium, who regularly steals stories from others.  This is my biggest problem with LOST.

The gimmicky idea of throwing together a show that people can "search for the meaning" to is one thing--but plagairism is another deal altogether.  It's tiring and it's wrong, imho.  I'm sure the creative team doesn't consider it plagairism because they're stealing little parts here and there from various works of literary art, not the works in their entirety.  Wrong.

On this subject, I'm certain nobody agrees with me, but I take literature seriously and I consider it to be sacrosanct.  A few nods here and there are one thing, but in my opinion, it's beyond a nod here and there.

Is this menagerie and compilation of literature part of the ultimate end story?  I sure as hell hope so.  I'd hate to think I've been watching this sh!t, supporting plagairists.  I'd rather read the NYT.

harsh cheers
*Des8
Well said Des8.I agree. In their cleverness they are ripping off from other authors.I am still trying to give them the benefit of the doubt of Homages right now,and they had better wake up and start putting the show back on track.This past season was all let's see how clever we can be.A lot of people watch the show for what they see,don't go on boards like this and find out what walt is saying backwards, or what was in smoke for eko t osee.  With JJ Abrhams off doing other things show lost it's direction this past season.Being ignored by it's peers in emmy nominations ought too be a good slap in face to wakeup. (Plus losing ratings).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 02:25:06 PM by Geronimo Jackson »

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 09:57:26 AM »

harsh cheers
*Des8
Well said Des8.I agree. In their cleverness they are ripping off from other authors.I am still trying to give them the benefit of the doubt of Homages right now,and they had better wake up and start putting the show back on track.This past season was all let's see how clever we can be.A lot of people watch the show for what they see,don't go on boards like this and find out what walt is saying backwards, or what was in smoke for eko t osee.  With JJ Abrhams off doing other things show lost it's direction this past season.Being ignored by it's peers in emmy nominations ought too be a good slap in face to wakeup. (Plus losing ratings).
GJ:
I couldn't agree more.  The show really lost direction after JJ left... WTF?  IMHO Lindelof and Cuse became so enamored with themselves, as is evidenced in their ridiculous Podcasts, that the story isn't about LOST--but they think it's about them.

Writers are a dime a dozen.  there's nothing special about these two, other than the fact that they're writing for a hit show--for now--but everything in Hollywoood turns on a dime.  I hope they pull their heads out of their asses and start some serious writing--otherwise, LOST will end up ala Twin Peaks.

cheers
*Des8

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 02:25:25 PM »

harsh cheers
*Des8
GJ:
I couldn't agree more.  The show really lost direction after JJ left... WTF?  IMHO Lindelof and Cuse became so enamored with themselves, as is evidenced in their ridiculous Podcasts, that the story isn't about LOST--but they think it's about them.

Writers are a dime a dozen.  there's nothing special about these two, other than the fact that they're writing for a hit show--for now--but everything in Hollywoood turns on a dime.  I hope they pull their heads out of their asses and start some serious writing--otherwise, LOST will end up ala Twin Peaks.

cheers
*Des8
Exaclty Twin peaks  should be their mantra don't get too clever.Ona nother  book post you and i responded to Huxley's The Island.I'll have tor ead it, ift his post is true jsut ripping off that book big time. I don't think many viewers are aware JJ no longer involved. he ahd to redo Alias as peopl ecomplained  toocomplicated I never watched it.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 05:29:21 PM »
post something

misspensinger

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 06:11:44 PM »
Ok

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 04:03:06 PM »
good book

misspensinger

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 08:21:03 PM »
yes ;D

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 02:57:22 AM »

harsh cheers
*Des8
GJ:

cheers
*Des8
Exaclty Twin peaks  should be their mantra don't get too clever.Ona nother  book post you and i responded to Huxley's The Island.I'll have tor ead it, ift his post is true jsut ripping off that book big time. I don't think many viewers are aware JJ no longer involved. he ahd to redo Alias as peopl ecomplained  toocomplicated I never watched it.

Offline TheGoodPeople

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 12:50:51 AM »
I just thought I'd resurrect this old thread. Tonight's episode "The Constant" we saw Desmond's conscience shift through time. almost exactly the same way Billy Pilgrim did. Experiencing different parts of the timeline of his life and living them while still retaining his conciseness about past and future events.

Desmond seemed to be doing far more interacting and attempting to change his lifeline than Pilgrim ever did. To me i think that billy saw his life and was happy with the course it took and accepted death. Des, on the other hand, has too much to live for than just to let his brain be scrambled my his time shifts.

I think this is a great way for the show to deal with the time travel issue wile still not being WAY too outlandish

I knew it would come back again. ;D ;D

also Faraday's Machine emanates a similar hum and violet light.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 02:35:56 AM by TheGoodPeople »