Author Topic: An"Other" Island?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
An"Other" Island?
« on: June 02, 2006, 01:36:22 AM »
This is totally ripping off my friend's newest pet theory, but at least I'm giving him credit. :) His name is TPTP, a mod at LOST-TV, and he helps me a great deal with screencaps, audio, etc, and notices interesting things sometimes when he's 'capping.

Here's something he caught.  In the background of just a few scenes of Michael and Walt in the Others' boat at the Pala dock, we see what appears to be a second island (click to enlarge thumbnails):

When I saw this, I recognized it right away.  I lived in Hawaii for a short while, and I'm pretty sure that this was the "Chinaman's Hat" a small island and popular tourist photo op, not far from Kailua and Kaneohe Bay (northeast shore-ish). 

...of course, it could just be another editing mistake, since they only had 17 days to shoot the finale, and this was a very brief scene (angle of shooting at the boat)... still, you would think they would have edited out such a recognizable landmark.

If it's not a mistake, this might be what they are supposed to find at compass bearing 325...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:45:36 AM by PandoraX »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: An"Other" Island?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:54:51 AM »
This could be the island that the Pala ferry went to.

Good find.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 06:25:40 PM »
If it's not a mistake, this might be what they are supposed to find at compass bearing 325...

Forget finding it at compass bearing 325, he should have told Micheal "See that island over there? Go there." lol

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 07:19:55 PM »

Forget finding it at compass bearing 325, he should have told Micheal "See that island over there? Go there." lol

LOL, this is so true.  As I recall the real Chinaman's hat, is a short swim away during low tide.  I wonder if they left it in intentionally.  If it is a part of the show, it's just another point of frustration for me with the plot... the 815 survivors could have found both the dock AND the mini-island, had they surveyed the main island earlier in the season.  Ahhhh TV-land...

Offline jordangr7

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 07:23:59 PM »
it just amazes me how sloppy the editing was... i mean they have so many off weeks during the year, yet they are starting to miss big things, they should know we look at EVERYTHING they do

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 01:11:17 AM »
Unless the editing was not sloppy and we were meant to see it.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 01:56:56 AM »
Pandora Girl you gotta also post this in continuity errors topic as this is a big one.
Hey guys let's take Desmond's boat and check out that island.DAh,nice work producers.

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 06:31:45 AM »
I took a look at this shot and it appears tha Michael has the island to his left (on the port side) and then he turns the boat away from the island (if it's an island and not a penninsula).  This may be one of the small islands from Daniells's map (unlikely) or a similar small and insignificant rock.....Remember, on a vocanic island there will be several small formations just ofshore that don't really qualify for "other" island status.

Offline davf0

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 04:23:58 PM »
i dont think it is just poor editing they could have just shot from the other side if they didn't want to include it unless they are really sloppy but i'm trusting they aren't another island seems logical for other hq?

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 10:07:27 PM »
Thaks pandora for adding that to  the continuity error forum.