Author Topic: MISS Penelope Widmore  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
MISS Penelope Widmore
« on: May 31, 2006, 09:31:45 PM »
My cousin pointed out something interesting to me last night.  When the arctic guys (one of which is NOT Jack, confirmed by the podcast :)) call Penelope up, they call her Miss Widmore.  It appears she waited all this time without getting married.

I think it's a tie in to Greek mythology, where Penelope was often used as the symbol for fidelity.  She waited for her husband Odysseus (Ulysses to the Romans) for 20 long years as he was away on his epic voyage by sea (which, much like Desmond's boat race, was sidetracked by a number of supernatural events).... faithfully waiting for him despite numerous suitors. 

Offline validkeys

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MISS Penelope Widmore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 09:33:46 PM »
what would be very interesting is to whom she was to be married...chances are its someone on the island. What if she isnt waiting for Desmond/David but is looking for her fiance? Imagine how awkward that would be if Penelope ever came to the Island?

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:00:53 PM »
My cousin pointed out something interesting to me last night.  When the arctic guys (one of which is NOT Jack, confirmed by the podcast :)) call Penelope up, they call her Miss Widmore.  It appears she waited all this time without getting married.

I think it's a tie in to Greek mythology, where Penelope was often used as the symbol for fidelity.  She waited for her husband Odysseus (Ulysses to the Romans) for 20 long years as he was away on his epic voyage by sea (which, much like Desmond's boat race, was sidetracked by a number of supernatural events).... faithfully waiting for him despite numerous suitors. 

Absolutely.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 11:27:31 PM »
It is those little details that are important.

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 02:04:36 PM »
I noticed that as well and my first thought was "She's still waiting for him! Awwwwwww!"

Offline Unimatrix11

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 06:35:57 PM »
@validkeys: that idea is just great !  I think thatīs well possible and totally lost-style... Now we are supposed to think that she is setting up a whole research project for desmond. But why have a team somewhere in the (ant)arctics trying to detect magnetic anomalies (btw - ever heard of the magnetic anomaly of Kursk, Russia ?) if she is looking for desmond ?  Either her dad is somehow involved with the whole project going on on the island, tried to cheat on desmond in the race, and she found out, or there must be a completely different connection, which could be another man - her husband, who could himself be some Dharma-guy who keeps secrets from her about his job and she is just nosey about it...

kinda like: "where are you going, honey ?"
him: "doing my job"
her: "you always leave for weeks and dont tell me anything. where is you job anyways ?"
him: "cant tell you"
her: "then tell me at least what you are working at !"
him: "okay. whatever - we try to produce a magnetic anomaly, so big it could be detected 1000s of miles away - but what do you know about magnetism ? nothing... so why should i tell you more. BTW i am not allowed to anyways... see you in a couple of weeks - bye !"

(i tell you: this is gonna be a flashback at the end of season 3)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 10:41:46 PM »
Yes excellent point Pandora about the meaning of her name. It was made crystal clear he called her Miss Widmore meaning she never married. She knew the route the solo racers would be going.She knew he dissappeared.But how we get from that to her knowing and looking for electric magnetic fields to find him is something I am not about to speculate on.I have patience, I'll wait till season 3 on that one.