Author Topic: Why did Oceanic 815 crash??  (Read 19448 times)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Why did Oceanic 815 crash??
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 05:45:21 PM »
But the producers are telling us that we know why and they should it being Desmonds fault??

LovinLost

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »
Why did the plane crash but so many survive a crash and a plane breaking up in air like that.
If it was desmonds fault and an accident, why do they seem destined to be there?

It seems like alot of these posts just want to chalk everything up to the producers making a mistake or just "because" they said so.  Why do we have to assume that the EMF was the only factor that caused the crash.  Perhaps the buildup of the EMF only caused the planes electrical and magnetic parts to fail.  Now the pilot has to keep the plane flying with no compass bearing and no electrical working and without these he's the reason the plane crashes.  He was not able to keep it flying.  All the EMF did was knock out the electrical and magnetic operations of the plane and pilot failure did the rest. The pilot clearly said they were off course when the radar went out.  Maybe this was all that happened to the plane from the EMF, the radar was effected and the rest was a simple plane crash like any other.  I don't think the EMF caused the plane to break apart like people are saying.  I think it was the actual crash the broke the plane apart.  However, I am still fascinated with the idea that so many survived and I attribute this to the Island's mysterious EMF. 

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 08:06:13 PM »
Why did the plane crash but so many survive a crash and a plane breaking up in air like that.
If it was desmonds fault and an accident, why do they seem destined to be there?

It seems like alot of these posts just want to chalk everything up to the producers making a mistake or just "because" they said so.  Why do we have to assume that the EMF was the only factor that caused the crash.  Perhaps the buildup of the EMF only caused the planes electrical and magnetic parts to fail.  Now the pilot has to keep the plane flying with no compass bearing and no electrical working and without these he's the reason the plane crashes.  He was not able to keep it flying.  All the EMF did was knock out the electrical and magnetic operations of the plane and pilot failure did the rest. The pilot clearly said they were off course when the radar went out.  Maybe this was all that happened to the plane from the EMF, the radar was effected and the rest was a simple plane crash like any other.  I don't think the EMF caused the plane to break apart like people are saying.  I think it was the actual crash the broke the plane apart.  However, I am still fascinated with the idea that so many survived and I attribute this to the Island's mysterious EMF. 

Planes generally do not break apart in the air as this one did. They are pretty sound structurally, and even if they were not, the tail section flies off from having the electrical systems and hydraulics knocked offline! I can't buy that. So far everything seems to point to some external force acting on the plane to tear it apart.

LovinLost

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 08:18:22 PM »
Planes generally do not break apart in the air as this one did. They are pretty sound structurally, and even if they were not, the tail section flies off from having the electrical systems and hydraulics knocked offline! I can't buy that. So far everything seems to point to some external force acting on the plane to tear it apart.
[/quote]

Could that outside/extrenal force have been major turbulance over the Pacific Ocean and the pilot was so busy trying to fly a plane with no radar and no auto pilot that the turbulance caused the plane to break apart as it did?  Could someone from the Dharma project have had access to the plane itself while it was at the Sydney airport and placed a bomb on the outside of the plane and set it to explode while in midair halfway through the flight, knowing exactly how many minutes it would take for the plane to be flying over the Island, I've seen many bombs set with timers to make it explode at a certain time?  I'm just trying to point out that there are still a few other possibilities that could explain the plane being torn apart by something OTHER than the EMF.  And perhaps the only thing the EMF actually did was screw with the radar and other functions, thus leading to human error or a bomb causing the actual crash itself.  Okay, I admit I may be reaching here with the bomb idea but I'm just making a point.  hehehe

scrod

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 09:38:16 PM »
Lovinlost, You have a nugget here that I had not thought of before:
And perhaps the only thing the EMF actually did was screw with the radar and other functions

What if that were true, and Desmond's accident only did that much, then the island's 'security system' went shooting up in the air and broke it up, then carried it to the surface.  If we believe the pictures of the black smoke blowing up the engine, this would be pretty plausible explanation.  That would also explain how a big ole slave ship was in the middle of the island, picked up and deposited there by the ancient and honorable black smokey guardian of the island.

There, I have the ultimate answer to the plane crash, all other input is moot.  lock the thread ;)

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 09:46:46 PM »
Lovinlost, You have a nugget here that I had not thought of before:
And perhaps the only thing the EMF actually did was screw with the radar and other functions

What if that were true, and Desmond's accident only did that much, then the island's 'security system' went shooting up in the air and broke it up, then carried it to the surface.  If we believe the pictures of the black smoke blowing up the engine, this would be pretty plausible explanation.  That would also explain how a big ole slave ship was in the middle of the island, picked up and deposited there by the ancient and honorable black smokey guardian of the island.

There, I have the ultimate answer to the plane crash, all other input is moot.  lock the thread ;)

I like the island defense system idea actually. The weakest part of an aircraft is usually the wing joints methinks. If the plane lost a wing, then their may be sufficient turbulence and structural destabilization to tear it apart. However, I'm with the big black smokey thing.  ;D

Either that or the rest of the four toed statue jumped in the air (sans one foot) and swatted it like a goal-tending Shaqolith!!  ::)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2006, 10:17:42 PM »
So it is a nice plane saving smoke monster. I am not saying that it did not happen, I hope the explanation is better than that.

scrod

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 10:42:40 PM »
It satisfies 3 issues:
1 - Breaking plane in mid-air
2 - Gentle landing of plane (and perhaps inhabitants that were outside of plane)
3 - Intentional bringing of these folks to the island

Ocham's Razor baby!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 11:17:17 PM »
i could be wrong but a little to weird for me

Offline west tower6580

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 01:58:55 AM »
I would dare to say that an EMP tore the plane apart after it lost power from flying through the EMP. I believe that the Swan station housed an Explosively Pump Flux Compression Generator, or an EPFCG for short that had to be reset every 108 minutes. The "dump" would emmit an EMP that would fry modern day electronics if exposed directly to the EMP waves, which are comprmised of electrical ions that travel left to right and a magnetic pulse that oscilates up and down. With a capacitator that would be large enough it could theoreticaly spike up to 300 Km. During the closing when Desmond took it offline I beleive that it produced a much more powerful EMP called a Non Nuclear Electro Magnetic Pulse or NNEMP that produced the brilliant white light in the atmosphere; but would literally cook anyone around it because of the extremely high microwave emissions. I am curious to see if Eko , Locke , and Desmond survived that. I am not a scientist; but, I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night though .HaHa enjoy.

scrod

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 09:49:29 AM »
With a capacitator that would be large enough it could theoreticaly spike up to 300 Km.

But that would take a flux capacitor capable of 21,000 Gigwatts!?!?!?!?!?!

Dude, you totally lost me on that one...

Would the NNEMP thingey be directable to the sky?  I have worked for years in chemical\pharmacuetical manufacturing industry and buidlings are generally engineered to direct big 'splosions in a certain direction.  Can the energy you speak of do the same thing, or is that too much power?

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2006, 02:27:11 PM »
On those theories the what happend when it wet haywire in the end,any other planes brought down?We have a slave ship from Nigeria,a Beechcraft also from Nigeria (hmmmmm),so how far of course does one have to be  to be brought down?

Offline therealsawyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2006, 02:38:34 PM »
I actualy like the idea of the "smoke monster" but I'm not sure if that falls into the whole scientific fact mindset.  Although to me it is more understandable than all this EMP and Flux Capacitor talk.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2006, 02:43:34 PM »
But is the smoke mosnter really it's own entity and a smoke monster or like Rousseau said a defense mechanism?Did she put it there? She knows way toomuch about that island and not sharing a lot. Or did the others? And what caused it to show Eko his thoughts?

scrod

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 02:57:48 PM »
I actualy like the idea of the "smoke monster" but I'm not sure if that falls into the whole scientific fact mindset. 
I think that we have seen enough (black horse, dead drunk, wet little boy, Eko's visions in the smoke, etc.) to verify that scientific fact can be 'pushed' to advance the story.