Author Topic: Why did Oceanic 815 crash??  (Read 19447 times)

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Why did Oceanic 815 crash??
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:18:05 PM »
Right now it seems that Desmond not pushing the button is why Oceanic 815 crashed. The electronmagnet got too strong and 'pulled' the plane apart. I'm a little confused just how that could happen when comparing the two accounts of what happens when you don't push the button; 1. Desmond after he killed Kelvin, running back but able to reset the code, and 2. Locke's takeover of the button refusing to push it.

Would you agree that the effects of not pushing the button were worse with Locke than it was the first time with Desmond alone?  I think so on account of the metal bending in on the countdown clock and all the other damage. All the metal was being pulled toward that part of the hatch. In comparison, I didn't see this with the Desmond alone situation, yet Desmond's was the one that supposedly "pulled" 815 apart.  So then why, when the force was much stronger with Locke, simple things like metal around camp and the Other's guns (made of metal) weren't drawn to the hatch too???

How could one appear stronger and not attract small metal objects like guns and the one that is not as strong pulls a plane apart???

Maybe it has something to do with where and how the build up is released?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Why did Oceanic 815 crash??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 09:35:59 PM »
All excellent question that I can't answer.

Was Kelvins lateness also responsible for the plane to be hundreds of miles off course.

Why did the plane crash but so many survive a crash and a plane breaking up in air like that.

Why are there so many connection with the people on the plane. If it was desmonds fault and an accident, why do they seem destined to be there?

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 09:41:20 PM »
LOL, those are excellent questions that I can't answer.
Especially that last one.

It's a real enigma.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 09:49:24 PM »
I was really hoping you could answer those questions and then I could get on with my life. :)

I was really hoping that they were going to show the plane crashing and fill in that whole mystery instead we got desmond belief that he crashed the plane.

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 09:53:16 PM »
Would the plane have come straight down due to the strong magnetic pull?  Seems to me if the plane broke up over the island, it would land somewhere in the water.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 09:56:55 PM »
It was of course, came down broke up and spread itself out over the island and in the water. (tail section)

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 09:58:27 PM »
I was really hoping you could answer those questions and then I could get on with my life. :)

I was really hoping that they were going to show the plane crashing and fill in that whole mystery instead we got desmond belief that he crashed the plane.

Yeah, it leaved it open to that NOT being the reason :) Maybe Locke WAS right? :)

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 09:59:06 PM »
The problem is, it doesn't really explain a lot of things... the way the writers promised anyway ("We'll know why the plane crashed").... if we're to stick with realistic explanations, that is.  Because regardless of how an EMP brings down a plane (I always thought it just made all the electronic equipment malfunction, including the engines of the plane)... it wouldn't explain why people were able to survive a plane crashing, from that altitude onto land, and 42 people surviving with minor lacerations or less.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 10:00:20 PM »
Now I have to spend another year of my life focused on this show.

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 04:32:20 AM »
simple answer... so that the Lost producers can make some money

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 08:37:38 AM »
The problem is, it doesn't really explain a lot of things... the way the writers promised anyway ("We'll know why the plane crashed").... if we're to stick with realistic explanations, that is.  Because regardless of how an EMP brings down a plane (I always thought it just made all the electronic equipment malfunction, including the engines of the plane)... it wouldn't explain why people were able to survive a plane crashing, from that altitude onto land, and 42 people surviving with minor lacerations or less.

I've studied the effects of EMP's (Electro Magnetic Pulse) created by nuclear devises and the effects are generally sporadic at best but... 

An EMP strong enough to affect a plane would ruin all of the electrical runs on the island.  No video feeds from pearl would ever be received and you would have to replace every piece of equipment that has electrical wiring it in.  Any EMP set off anywhere near ground level probably wouldn't even damage a lot of the electrical runs on the island not to mention not even touching something 27,000 ft up in the sky. 

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:44:25 AM »
simple answer... so that the Lost producers can make some money

I prefer "Its in the script."  :)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 12:27:29 PM »
show based on science fact with some writer librities?

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 03:07:27 AM »
We have thewhy it was offcourse, something we don't yet caused it to be off course,then was hit by electric magnetic wave.or maybe that is the how.

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 08:14:22 AM »
We have thewhy it was offcourse, something we don't yet caused it to be off course,then was hit by electric magnetic wave.or maybe that is the how.

Not from the hatch.  It doesn't work like that and it couldn't have been that strong.