Author Topic: Season finale timeline  (Read 8145 times)

LovinLost

Re: Season finale timeline
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 06:37:10 PM »
Okay - my first post... here we go
the way i got the whole thing:
By turning the key desmond destroyed the station - and by his behaviour we can tell he is well aware, that he wont survive it (he tells locke to run as far as he can quickly, he says good-bye for his true-love which he knows would wait for him "forever" and so on).
The following light immediately reminded me of a nuclear blast ("many many times brighter than sunlight in New Mexico at noon by the brightest summer day"). When, on earth, can you ever see a violet sky ? yepp - when a nuke is unleashed. It must have been a "small" one though, since the island is still there. But to me there is hardly any doubt that the swan station is history and along with it eko, locke and desmond.
and "failsafe" has to be seen in a wider context - if the overcharged (electro-)magnet can cause planes to crash and maybe even worse, then the prompt and utter destruction of the station that causes the magnet to overcharge or of the magnet itself can well be regarded as "putting things back to normal"
So let go of your hopes that you will see locke, desmond or eko (he was my favorite) ever again except in flashbacks - they are all dead.

Well, luckily for the sake of our favorite show we are all entitled to our opinions but I REFUSE to give up hope on Locke, Eco and Desmond.  I think they are still alive and this is why.

I do not think the turning of the key destroyed the Swan Station.  I think the whole reason it is called a "Fail Safe" key is that it is to be used in case the computer gets broken or there is no other way to push the button.  The purpose of a fail safe is a Plan B action as noted by other posters in this forum.  Therefore, if the key actually brought everything back to normal, releasing the built up energy, the same way the pushing of the button did then Kelvin and Desmond were actually unclear as to the REAL purpose of the Fail Safe Key.  This is very possible and I choose to believe that everything is a total mess in the hatch right now but my three favorite guys are still alive!!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:38:52 PM by LovinLost »

Offline davf0

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2006, 09:32:34 AM »
i too cannot believe they would kill all three, my feeling is that the failsafe didn't cause an explosion but destroyed the machine that was collecting the electro magnetism i been assuming that whatever the machine that has been collecting electro magnetism is, it must be using this power to do something? and now the failsafe has been used whatever the electromagnetism was powering has been stopped and that caused the bright light weird stuff etc you have assume that the swan has always been there ? why did it get built it has to have a purpose not just to stop too much magnetism? does any of this make sense?

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2006, 10:30:15 PM »
They are still alive. Contracts :) :) :)

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2006, 10:32:18 PM »
They are still alive. Contracts :) :) :)

LOL I was thinking the exact same thing reading this thread but I didn't want to burst the bubble!

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2006, 10:59:52 PM »
or burst out laughing at my post

LovinLost

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2006, 12:45:26 PM »
i too cannot believe they would kill all three, my feeling is that the failsafe didn't cause an explosion but destroyed the machine that was collecting the electro magnetism i been assuming that whatever the machine that has been collecting electro magnetism is, it must be using this power to do something? and now the failsafe has been used whatever the electromagnetism was powering has been stopped and that caused the bright light weird stuff etc you have assume that the swan has always been there ? why did it get built it has to have a purpose not just to stop too much magnetism? does any of this make sense?

I think they are still alive but like Charlie, partially deaf from the intense sound.  I also think we are going to see some kind of aftereffect of that light and sound, perhaps major healings or changes in the survivors personality.  This was hinted to at the very end of the SF by the change in Claire's feelings toward Charlie. 

I can also see them killing off Kelvin as he was not part of the story line, but merely used to fill in some of the timeline before Desmond arrived and clue us in about the Blast Door Map but the other three especially Locke have so much left to do before he can be LOST to us forever. 
I think the Swan Station was created by the Dharma Project specifically to study the strange magnetism and once they realized its power they decided to try to harnass the energy but then the incident occurred and they realized they needed to somehow keep that energy under a certain level (the purpose of the button) to release a small amount of the energy every 108 minutes to avoid another incident.  I think it was the incident that taught the Dharma folks the lesson that caused them to turn the Swan Station into a "button-pushing" station to keep another incident from occuring which is exactly the reason for the Fail Safe Key also.  Going to great lengths to avoid another incident.  I think perhaps keeping the electromagnetism at bay is much more important than we realize.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 01:37:49 PM »

I think they are still alive but like Charlie, partially deaf from the intense sound.  I also think we are going to see some kind of aftereffect of that light and sound, perhaps major healings or changes in the survivors personality.  This was hinted to at the very end of the SF by the change in Claire's feelings toward Charlie. 

I can also see them killing off Kelvin as he was not part of the story line, but merely used to fill in some of the timeline before Desmond arrived and clue us in about the Blast Door Map but the other three especially Locke have so much left to do before he can be LOST to us forever. 
I think the Swan Station was created by the Dharma Project specifically to study the strange magnetism and once they realized its power they decided to try to harnass the energy but then the incident occurred and they realized they needed to somehow keep that energy under a certain level (the purpose of the button) to release a small amount of the energy every 108 minutes to avoid another incident.  I think it was the incident that taught the Dharma folks the lesson that caused them to turn the Swan Station into a "button-pushing" station to keep another incident from occuring which is exactly the reason for the Fail Safe Key also.  Going to great lengths to avoid another incident.  I think perhaps keeping the electromagnetism at bay is much more important than we realize.

Excellent theories Lovin lsot, well thought out.Could be correct.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2006, 02:19:46 PM »
Good post lovinlost. So are you saying with the key turned now the magnetism is not being harnessed any more and the island just goes back to being a high magnetism location like in Australia?

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2006, 02:22:42 PM »
Or Tibet, Sedona Arizona, oh so many places.

LovinLost

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 03:24:11 PM »
Good post lovinlost. So are you saying with the key turned now the magnetism is not being harnessed any more and the island just goes back to being a high magnetism location like in Australia?

Well, that could be, but my theory is that the key did EXACTLY the same thing that pushing the button would have done.  I think the purpose of a Fail Safe is what one would do if Plan A did not work for some reason.  You would then go to backup Plan B.  I think the Fail Safe worked the very same way the button worked but was a last ditch effort now that the computer was no longer able to work.  I like the idea that the Fail Safe key was a Plan B specifically created for the purpose of possible human failure or if the computer broke down.  I think the natural electromagnetism is still on the island and is still being harnassed but they MUST get that computer fixed or they will be using the key indefinitely to keep the energy harnassed.  I think this also explains why the Others including Fhenry did not react to the light and sound as if it was anything too serious, they knew the backup plan B Fail Safe key had been used. 

I do not want to underestimate the knowledge and foresight of the Dharma people.  I think they knew exactly what they were doing when they began the "button pushing project" in the Swan Station and observed the occupants from the Pearl (in fact, even told Kelvin to observe using the Pearl before he made any attempt to leave the station) they knew their was a possibility of human error and therefore created the Fail Safe key just in case. 

I have to admit this makes the most sense to me, but as with most of us who post our thoughts they are often based on our HOPES that things work out for our beloved Losties and I have to admit Eco and Locke were my favorites so I really want them to still be with us in Season 3.  *smile*

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2006, 05:35:15 PM »
LovinLost said;

Well, that could be, but my theory is that the key did EXACTLY the same thing that pushing the button would have done.  I think the purpose of a Fail Safe is what one would do if Plan A did not work for some reason.  You would then go to backup Plan B.  I think the Fail Safe worked the very same way the button worked but was a last ditch effort now that the computer was no longer able to work.  I like the idea that the Fail Safe key was a Plan B specifically created for the purpose of possible human failure or if the computer broke down.  I think the natural electromagnetism is still on the island and is still being harnassed but they MUST get that computer fixed or they will be using the key indefinitely to keep the energy harnassed.  I think this also explains why the Others including Fhenry did not react to the light and sound as if it was anything too serious, they knew the backup plan B Fail Safe key had been used. 

I disagree with this point. I do not think they are going to be down in the hole turning that key every 108 minutes.First of all that would make for very boring TV. Second Kelvin hinted that it would end the need for the hatch. I believe it is not harnessing the magnetic energy any more so there is no need for the energy to be released every 108 minutes.

LovinLost

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 07:19:56 PM »
LovinLost said;

I disagree with this point. I do not think they are going to be down in the hole turning that key every 108 minutes.First of all that would make for very boring TV. Second Kelvin hinted that it would end the need for the hatch. I believe it is not harnessing the magnetic energy any more so there is no need for the energy to be released every 108 minutes.

I think they could fix the computer so they don't have to go down to turn the key every 108 minutes.  Sayid fixed it once, I'm sure he can do it again.  I think Locke is going to be a different man because of his mistake and is going to be willing to go to any lengths to continue hitting that button and get the computer fixed.  If the Swan Station is no longer necessary and the Key actually caused a complete disappation of the harnassed EM energy then it would go back to being a simple EM field and no longer in need of a button pusher or key turner.  This is a possiblity. I agree.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2006, 12:45:23 PM »
[  If the Swan Station is no longer necessary and the Key actually caused a complete disappation of the harnassed EM energy then it would go back to being a simple EM field and no longer in need of a button pusher or key turner.  This is a possiblity. I agree.
[/quote]

This is my position stated better than I could state it.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2006, 12:47:22 PM »
Mine too :)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2006, 12:55:29 PM »
In agreement again!