Author Topic: Season finale timeline  (Read 8147 times)

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Season finale timeline
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 12:50:52 PM »
I believe the attraction was turned into repelling and that is why the hatch door was flying.

This was discussed on another thread. The problem is that.

(1) Magnets always attract, and never repel, non-magnetised metal objects.
(2) If you line two magnets up so that they repel one another, the second magnet does *not* fly away from the first magnet, at least not for long. It spins around 180 degrees until it's attracted again, and then flies towards the first magnet -- unless there's something there to prevent it from spinning.

So to explain the flying hatch door as a magnetic phenomenon, we have to invent some sort of anti-magnetism, which as far as I know is science fiction, or somehow explain why the hatch door wouldn't be able to spin in the air.

My money's on a non-magnetic explanation. Like an enormous explosion, for example.

Thank you.  Clear thinking. 

Offline davf0

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »
hey it would be funny now if the writers are reading the above and going "hey i knew we should have researched that anti magnet theory a bit more"

Offline Balta

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 09:19:41 PM »
heck if I wrote a couple of stories for LOST i'd write whatever for the first one and then leave the technicalities up to the boardies, and then go on from there! ha ;)

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 10:01:19 PM »
heck if I wrote a couple of stories for LOST i'd write whatever for the first one and then leave the technicalities up to the boardies, and then go on from there! ha ;)

Especially with all these freakin smart people.  I'd do the same.

Offline davf0

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 10:12:42 PM »
hey the other possibility is that the hatch door with quaratine on isn't the same one from the swan maybe its from another bunker and got blown off by something else that reacted at the same time as the fail safe-unlikely though lol

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 11:08:50 PM »
It is from the swan, lets not get crazy here.

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 11:49:48 PM »
There are much better places to get crazy.

Offline Balta

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 07:16:52 PM »
It is from the swan, lets not get crazy here.

actually, I have been looking for the door to my hatch which in fact has the words "quarantine" on it... :P

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 08:59:46 PM »
hey the other possibility is that the hatch door with quaratine on isn't the same one from the swan maybe its from another bunker and got blown off by something else that reacted at the same time as the fail safe-unlikely though
noit's thesamedoor i watched it very carefully a fewnights ago.Witht hat forcethough makeyouwonder about Locke, Ekoand Desmond.

Offline validkeys

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 10:53:56 AM »
I can understand if the door were fastened to the hatch and were blown straight up by the explosion or whatever..But the door was no longer connnected to the hatch. It was laying on the side and therefore, any pressure comnig up through the tunnel would not have blown the hatch door straight up!

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 02:03:35 PM »
Somehow I thought the hatch door was being pulled toward something, not "blown up" and when the key was turned, the magnetic attraction stopped and the hatch fell to earth......just my gut feeling.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 11:05:25 AM »
Magnetic pull was reversed so they hatch door flew in the air when the key was turned.

Offline andersinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 12:12:20 PM »
Yea thats what i was thinking, i think Zeke wrote a bit about that on a different thread.

LovinLost

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 01:49:26 PM »
I believe the attraction was turned into repelling and that is why the hatch door was flying.

This was discussed on another thread. The problem is that.

(1) Magnets always attract, and never repel, non-magnetised metal objects.
(2) If you line two magnets up so that they repel one another, the second magnet does *not* fly away from the first magnet, at least not for long. It spins around 180 degrees until it's attracted again, and then flies towards the first magnet -- unless there's something there to prevent it from spinning.

So to explain the flying hatch door as a magnetic phenomenon, we have to invent some sort of anti-magnetism, which as far as I know is science fiction, or somehow explain why the hatch door wouldn't be able to spin in the air.

My money's on a non-magnetic explanation. Like an enormous explosion, for example.

We're forgetting the fact that this is NOT simple magnetism but ELECTRO-magnetism.  We have to keep in mind that this island is also one of those strange places that appear to have some form of ancient healing power.  As was told to Rose by the healer that there are several places on the earth that have strange effects.  Like the Bermuda Triangle, etc.  So when we try to make sense of this phenomena we are missing this VERY IMPORTANT point.  Also, if the results of Locke NOT pushing the button was an overload of the magnetic buildup and, as we saw the results were, all things metal being pulled toward the huge magnet then when Desmond turned the key it completely shut down the electro-magnetic phenomena and everything at that moment that was in mid-air or being manipulated by the "electro-magnetic force" would then be simply back under the control of gravity.  This is why the hatch door then went flying.  I agree with the person who stated that the fail safe reversed the effects momentarily. 

I also think that Fhenry was staring strangely into the distance when the "shut down" occurred because he knew the true (possibly healing/esp) nature of the electro-magnetic force and it was a great loss. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:52:44 PM by LovinLost »

Offline Unimatrix11

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 04:53:57 PM »
Okay - my first post... here we go

the way i got the whole thing:

By turning the key desmond destroyed the station - and by his behaviour we can tell he is well aware, that he wont survive it (he tells locke to run as far as he can quickly, he says good-bye for his true-love which he knows would wait for him "forever" and so on).

The following light immediately reminded me of a nuclear blast ("many many times brighter than sunlight in New Mexico at noon by the brightest summer day"). When, on earth, can you ever see a violet sky ? yepp - when a nuke is unleashed. It must have been a "small" one though, since the island is still there. But to me there is hardly any doubt that the swan station is history and along with it eko, locke and desmond.

Which is tragic, cause Hurley, now returning to the camp, might tell the other losties about the pile of tubes they found, but they will have no clue, where they came from, since all the people who knew are dead now. Also the secret of the map is lost to the losties. They are pretty much thrown back in their knowledge of the secrets of the island to the beginning of the season.

I also think, that this could have happened to the other station up in the north, too - the one thats been scratched out on the map and it is labeled with something like "lift your hearts to god", which indicates to me some dramatic and tragic event took place there, too.

and "failsafe" has to be seen in a wider context - if the overcharged (electro-)magnet can cause planes to crash and maybe even worse, then the prompt and utter destruction of the station that causes the magnet to overcharge or of the magnet itself can well be regarded as "putting things back to normal"

So let go of your hopes that you will see locke, desmond or eko (he was my favorite) ever again except in flashbacks - they are all dead.

I agree, that Henry was able to tell what happened, when he saw the light - his reaction indicates that. And that in turn to me indicates that the other station in the north had gone through pretty much the same thing (that might also be the reason why the 4-toe-statue is down and gone) and henry had seen it all happen before. So he has been there when it blew up and probably was just like a jack of his own people - it might in the end all be a repetitive story.

My question now would be: would happened to sayid and what did he find - and: will he take the lead now (finally) ?  But i guess thats another thread and this post is too long already...