Author Topic: Season finale timeline  (Read 8146 times)

Offline jiddng

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Season finale timeline
« on: May 29, 2006, 07:43:24 PM »
I was wondering what the timeline was at the end of the episode, specifically the correlation of the buttons not being pushed then Desmond using the key, to the white light/high-pitched sound on the beach then calmness. 

Did the white light occur on the beach when the numbers were not pushed, then everything calmed down after Desmond used the key? 

Or did the white light occur because Desmond used the key?

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Season finale timeline
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 08:18:54 PM »
Good point! I was assuming that the white light happened because Desmond used the key but that's just my opinion. There are a few experts on magnetic forces here that may have a more informed or educated point of view...

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 08:49:28 PM »
Good point! I was assuming that the white light happened because Desmond used the key but that's just my opinion. There are a few experts on magnetic forces here that may have a more informed or educated point of view...

That would be nice... if the LOST folks had any clue about the realities of magnetic force... apparently they can't even get pictures to match from episode to episode, and you think they thought about real life dynamics of magnetic force :) I guess we'll see.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 08:57:47 PM »
Honestly, even after watching this part of the finale several times, I'm still confused by what exactly the timeline of the key turning and the flash are, and had the same question.  Personally, I think that if something is labeled a "fail safe", that it should be a "backup plan B" in case of disaster, and should set things right again, performing the same function as the button pushing act.  However, from the way Kelvin talks about it "It makes it all go away"... very ambiguous, but actually makes it sound negative, like a self destruct sequence (which I think would negate the whole "failsafe" idea).

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 09:12:07 PM »
I got the same impression from what Kelvin siad 

It would blow up hte whole thin gor something equally as final
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 09:13:59 PM by demra »

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 09:21:07 PM »
I got the same impression from what Kelvin siad 

It would blow up hte whole thin gor something equally as final

I don't think he knew what would happen... and I don't think that if it were simple (turn the key and everyone goes home) why would the last dozen sets of people even bother pushing the button.   Now I am confusing MYSELF >: 4 8.... MUST 15 16.  Phew almost got sucked in.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 09:29:58 PM »
I may have been making a big assumption but from watching it I was sure the big light noise came from the key being turned. 

Offline jiddng

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 10:23:10 PM »
I may have been making a big assumption but from watching it I was sure the big light noise came from the key being turned. 
That was my first thought too, but if this show taught me anything, it taught me to think things through twice and to look at things from another perpective.  And that led me to wonder just exactly how the 2 occurences correlated.....

The other thing that is making me wonder... is the falling hatch door.  Was it repelled when Desmond turned the key because there were 2 like magnetic forces?  Remember as kids when we played with 2 magnets, opposite magnetisms attracted while like magnetisms repelled?  Wondering if this is what happened when Desmond turned the key, and the hatch door was repelled....

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 12:12:29 AM »
Just rewatched and desmond turns the key and then the light and noise happen. Desmond caused that to happen. I believe the attraction was turned into repelling and that is why the hatch door was flying.

Offline jiddng

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 01:36:07 AM »
Just rewatched and desmond turns the key and then the light and noise happen. Desmond caused that to happen. I believe the attraction was turned into repelling and that is why the hatch door was flying.

That's what I initially thought too....  But if you think about it, just because they aired it in that sequence doesn't mean it happened in that order.  They showed everything happening at the hatch, the numbers counting down, the buttons not pushed, the ensuing "quake", Desmond going for the key, all the way until he used the key,  THEN they showed what was going on at the beach.  To me, it doesn't necessarily mean that it happened in that order.  I just felt it could've been one of those "meanwhile back at the ranch...." type of scenarios...

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:41:29 AM »
The screen went white the second Desmond turned the key...everyone outside the hatch became engulfed in white as well seconds afterwards. Logic says that Desmond turning the key is what caused everything that followed.

Let's not make this show more confusing and convoluted than it already is lol.

Offline jiddng

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:50:25 AM »
The screen went white the second Desmond turned the key...everyone outside the hatch became engulfed in white as well seconds afterwards. Logic says that Desmond turning the key is what caused everything that followed.

ahhhhh, I missed that... I didn't tape it, so I was trying to figure it out from my memory.... forgot that everything went white right after he turned the key.
thx!

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 11:22:46 AM »
All light falls into the range of the electromagnetic spectrum. 
The electromagnetic spectrum is the distribution of electromagnetic radiation according to energy or according to frequency or wavelength
  I've seen some stuff about scientists getting magnets to emanate visable light...perhaps this is what happened with the rather large electromagnet on the island.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 12:29:07 PM »

Have to accept what they show us until proven otherwise. There were no tricks as stated avove.

Offline ukslim

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 12:46:55 PM »
I believe the attraction was turned into repelling and that is why the hatch door was flying.

This was discussed on another thread. The problem is that.

(1) Magnets always attract, and never repel, non-magnetised metal objects.
(2) If you line two magnets up so that they repel one another, the second magnet does *not* fly away from the first magnet, at least not for long. It spins around 180 degrees until it's attracted again, and then flies towards the first magnet -- unless there's something there to prevent it from spinning.

So to explain the flying hatch door as a magnetic phenomenon, we have to invent some sort of anti-magnetism, which as far as I know is science fiction, or somehow explain why the hatch door wouldn't be able to spin in the air.

My money's on a non-magnetic explanation. Like an enormous explosion, for example.