Author Topic: Anyone think Kelvin may still be alive?  (Read 93285 times)

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone think Kelvin may still be alive?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 01:49:51 PM »
Doesn't make any sense...If Desmond's wanting to be "very brief" why add dialogue to his story that never took place? ("Hurry hurry...come with me"). And does it really take that much longer to say "I was in a terrible storm...next thing I knew I woke up here in this hatch"? Of course not.

Not very brief but very understandable.  The logic of a man with a gun pointed at him is not as easily traceable as you make it out to be.  Perhaps he said this because he thought it was the most believable thing to say.  With less mystery (like being dragged through the woods by multiple people in yellow suits) there are fewer questions to be asked, therefore a quicker solution, and the ability to repair the computer more quickly.  Expediency in exact wording isn't what I was talking about.... expediency in conversation is and it is what any normal person would be concerned with.   Get the gun pointed at the floor so I can fix the computer instead of fielding questions about who all those people in yellow suits were and where his boat is and what else is mentioned.  Remember he says only that Kelvin said he was saving the world and then says he ran off.  This is obviously a paraphrase with some editing so that he isn't protrayed as a murderer and so that he doesn't have to answer a million questions.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2006, 01:53:25 PM »
Yeah I agree with Bones and the other guy, I think it's most likely a continuity error, and not a huge one; it wasn't a big contradiction.

The words of a guy who was half conscious when Kelvin found him, he probably just made something up... not literally recounting word for word what happened, just telling a general story.  It wasn't like he was thinking of his words carefully for a court statement or something.

There are bigger continuity problems, like Desmond's girlfriend's picture (from Orientation, compared to the finale).

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2006, 02:07:40 PM »
Doesn't make any sense...If Desmond's wanting to be "very brief" why add dialogue to his story that never took place? ("Hurry hurry...come with me"). And does it really take that much longer to say "I was in a terrible storm...next thing I knew I woke up here in this hatch"? Of course not.

Not very brief but very understandable.  The logic of a man with a gun pointed at him is not as easily traceable as you make it out to be.  Perhaps he said this because he thought it was the most believable thing to say.  With less mystery (like being dragged through the woods by multiple people in yellow suits) there are fewer questions to be asked, therefore a quicker solution, and the ability to repair the computer more quickly.  Expediency in exact wording isn't what I was talking about.... expediency in conversation is and it is what any normal person would be concerned with.   Get the gun pointed at the floor so I can fix the computer instead of fielding questions about who all those people in yellow suits were and where his boat is and what else is mentioned.  Remember he says only that Kelvin said he was saving the world and then says he ran off.  This is obviously a paraphrase with some editing so that he isn't protrayed as a murderer and so that he doesn't have to answer a million questions.

You make it sound like either Desmond has to completely make up a story, or sit down for an hour and a half and tell Jack every detail of what really happened lol. Everything Desmond told Jack was the truth...except how he got from the beach to the hatch? And he lied about that part and that part alone because he thought that saying his ship sank during a storm and he washed up on the beach sounded LESS believable than some strange guy running out from the middle of the jungle saying "Hurry hurry, come with me"?..lol

By the way, Desmond wasn't concerned one iota about the gun being pointed at him during that scene with Jack...it was the fact that Jack took away his jar of (bolts? screws?) he needed to try and fix the computer. Something tells me that Jack's decision to give Desmond his jar back did not hinge on exactly how Desmond made it from the beach to the hatch. And I'm finding it next to impossible to believe that Desmond, in the throws of a panic at realizing the world may possibly come to an end shortly, had the presence of mind to determine that one small detail in his story was the only one he needed to lie about in order to get Jack to give him the jar back.

Script continuity flaw is the most logical reason for the contradiction.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2006, 02:10:17 PM »
Yeah I agree with Bones and the other guy, I think it's most likely a continuity error, and not a huge one; it wasn't a big contradiction.

The words of a guy who was half conscious when Kelvin found him, he probably just made something up... not literally recounting word for word what happened, just telling a general story.  It wasn't like he was thinking of his words carefully for a court statement or something.

There are bigger continuity problems, like Desmond's girlfriend's picture (from Orientation, compared to the finale).

Again, we make it sound like it was impossible for Desmond to truthfully say "I woke up here, I'm not exactly sure how I got here...last thing I remember was being in a huge storm". Is this REALLY that difficult for anyone except me to imagine Desmond saying without problem?

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 02:18:08 PM »

Again, we make it sound like it was impossible for Desmond to truthfully say "I woke up here, I'm not exactly sure how I got here...last thing I remember was being in a huge storm". Is this REALLY that difficult for anyone except me to imagine Desmond saying without problem?

You are very stuck on the ways in which you would respond to this situation.  Your speculation, while being well thought out, is just that...speculation.  You could be right...and you could be wrong.  Unless you have a connection to the producers that we don't know about...

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2006, 03:57:19 PM »
THis really appears to be a mole hill not a mountain. He could of said it a number of ways but he shortened it the way he did. Not a big mystery I believe.

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2006, 04:07:43 PM »
THis really appears to be a mole hill not a mountain. He could of said it a number of ways but he shortened it the way he did. Not a big mystery I believe.

um...yeah. 

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2006, 04:47:04 PM »
It's not about whether or not it plays an important role in the plot...it's more about a seemingly absurd desire to rationalize the somewhat obvious script flaw by inventing reasons for its existence lol. The flawed logic to do so is what I'm debating, not whether or not I've stumbled upon some great secret. For some reason it seems more important around here to assume the writers had Desmond's character purposefully lie about that small part of his story to Jack than it is to say "Yeah, that doesn't make sense, does it"..lol.

Offline siouxiesue1919

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 04:42:19 PM »

He wasn't pulled off the beach by multiple men in yellow suits....just Kelvin.  The way they filmed it, with his blurry vision made it look like it was a bunch of men.  I though the same thing when I first watched it. :)

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 08:08:58 PM »
He wasn't pulled off the beach by multiple men in yellow suits....just Kelvin.  The way they filmed it, with his blurry vision made it look like it was a bunch of men.  I though the same thing when I first watched it.

Thanks.  I wasn't sure.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2006, 08:47:15 PM »
Why not tell Jack and Locke the truth?

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »
when they first met ?

if that is what you  are asking  he might have if he was givin time to do so but once he saw the comp was shot he was getting out of there as fast as possible

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2006, 12:27:25 PM »

Because this is lost and nobody talks or tells the truth.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2006, 12:37:21 PM »

Because this is lost and nobody talks or tells the truth.

Truest thing ever said

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2006, 05:07:06 PM »
Ask what's his face.  He seems to know the answer to everything without a doubt in his mind lol.