Author Topic: Anyone think Kelvin may still be alive?  (Read 93253 times)

Offline siouxiesue1919

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Anyone think Kelvin may still be alive?
« on: May 29, 2006, 03:44:30 PM »
Ok....it's far fetched, but maybe, and just MAYBE Kelvin could still be alive.  It seemed to me like he was kindof leading Desmond on.  The whole thing where he was drunk seemed a little staged and it I felt like he wanted Desmond to follow him out to the boat (because of the obvious cut in his suit).  The didn't show that he was DEAD...they just showed a little blood coming out of his head (and by a little, I mean "a lot").

Maybe I'm reaching because I hope that Clancy Brown could be more of a reoccuring character...so I'm going to base this theory on watching too many horror movies:  If they don't bury the body or cut his head off, he's probably still alive. :)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone think Kelvin may still be alive?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 03:57:22 PM »
I agree .I think he is still alive.It didn't seem likethat hard of a blow on the head.Kelvin is trained in special Ops with the CIA, he knows how to survive. He also knows what is on the map blast doors and knows what hatches to go to and hide.I also feel we need a back story on him from how he went from CIA to working for Dharma,so just on that perhaps he is still alive.

Offline davf0

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 04:06:11 PM »
no i think the actual idea was that he was dead, but they left it open ended enough to decide later, like wheres the body now still there ?

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 04:14:08 PM »
Desmod thinks he killed him though.He didn't sayi f he buried him or just freaked out and left him there which means.........

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 04:26:56 PM »
Desmod thinks he killed him though.He didn't sayi f he buried him or just freaked out and left him there which means.........

He woudln't have much time to bury him, if the timer ran out when he followed him the first time, and now he would have to go, move him to dirt, dig a hole, and bury him... and Kelvin mentioned how much of a bear it was when he had to bury Rudinsky.  My guess he focused more on sleep and the button.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 09:12:24 PM »
I think this is a valid point and one I wonder about also.  As you guys know, I help sledge update his index files, and when I update'd Kelvin's & Desmond's profiles, I left it as "smashed his head against a rock, and Desmond believes he killed him".  It's hard to tell in a show with all these twists and turns.

In this case, we had many strong indicators that Kelvin appeared mortally injured, but there was the time crunch with Desmond, so it leaves maybe a 5-10% doubt in my head.

1)  Desmond seemed like a character that was almost too trusting of what he saw/heard.  He pushed the button for 3 years without question.

2)  The plane crashed on Sept 22 (the day of Kelvin's supposed death), yet it was weeks before Desmond even realized there were people on the island.  If you recall, Locke and Boone had to first find the hatch (this was not right away), and then for some time, they tried to open it, at one point even employing a complicated trebuchet, and digging all around the hatch.  I find this a little incredible that Desmond wouldn't have heard anything during this time (plot hole, I think; maybe he was listening to his Mamma Cass LP too loudly?).  But I think it's an indicator from the storyline that he wasn't out exploring around the area, or else he would have bumped into someone on his way to bury Kelvin. He didn't realize that there were others on the island until after Locke was banging on the hatch door; and this was after Boone had died already ("Do No Harm")

PS:  OK, just found it in the timeline.  Boone died on Day 41, meaning that that much time had passed between the Kelvin incident and Locke's banging on the hatch.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 09:18:20 PM by PandoraX »

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 09:21:44 PM »
no i think the actual idea was that he was dead, but they left it open ended enough to decide later, like wheres the body now still there ?

I'm thinking now I need to go back and rewatch the first episode with Desmond to see if he says more about Kelvin and his death when he's telling his story to the Losties.

That's the beginning of Season 2 right? I hope I still have that on tape somewhere.....

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 09:26:19 PM »
PS:  OK, just found it in the timeline.  Boone died on Day 41, meaning that that much time had passed between the Kelvin incident and Locke's banging on the hatch.

Yep, 5 weeks and for the last week or more digging, banging, etc and he doesn't hear a thing until Locke bangs his fist against it (and then again when the dynamite goes off.).   Also he takes Kate at gunpoint, but he asks Locke if he is HIM.  Maybe we missed him asking Kate and her not answering but if he didn't that seems sexext.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 09:26:35 PM »
Desmond was stir crazy when they found him. All jumpy and adjetated. Like he had not been out in years. He must of stayed locked up in the hatch since kelvin "died". SHouldn't his body still be there when he went for the boat, unless a polar bear dragged him off.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 09:42:47 PM »
Desmond was stir crazy when they found him. All jumpy and adjetated. Like he had not been out in years. He must of stayed locked up in the hatch since kelvin "died". SHouldn't his body still be there when he went for the boat, unless a polar bear dragged him off.

It should be, and he never said it wasn't (and we never saw him cast off with the  the boat).   So I supposed unless they choose to show us we will never know.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 09:47:35 PM »
Very true. We only know what they show us. I have been trying to adopt an attitude that I will believe what they show us  until proven wrong. THis at least gives me a basis to make my predictions on. But I have to admit it is very possible that he is still alive. HE did not check for a pulse before running back to the hatch.

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 09:51:39 PM »

I'm thinking now I need to go back and rewatch the first episode with Desmond to see if he says more about Kelvin and his death when he's telling his story to the Losties.

That's the beginning of Season 2 right? I hope I still have that on tape somewhere.....

THe problem is, there wasn't much that was said in that scene, I watched it a few times myself.  :)   If you are seeking it, it was all from "Orientation" which is S2E3 (he says nothing about it in Man of Science, Man of Faith)... and the two times Kelvin is mentioned in the script is:

DESMOND: It was 3 years ago. I was on a solo race around the world, and my boat crashed into the reef, and then Kelvin came.

LOCKE: Kelvin?

DESMOND: Kelvin -- he comes running out of the jungle -- hurry, hurry, come with me. He brings me down here. The first thing he does -- because there's beeping already -- he types in the code, he pushes the button, and it stops. What was all that about, I say. Just saving the world, he says.

JACK: Saving the world?

DESMOND: His words, not mine. So I started pushing the button, too. And we saved the world together for awhile, and that was lovely. Then Kelvin died, and now here I am all alone. The end.

[Jack hands over the jar and Desmond tries to fix the computer.]

DESMOND: Kelvin died waiting for his replacements.

JACK: You don't get out, you don't see anyone. Where does your food come from? You really think this is happening.

DESMOND: Why wouldn't it be?

... he flees the hatch shortly afterwards, without much more info than this.  Can I just say how funny he is when he tells the story?  Yadda yadda yadda... THE END. LOL

(I do a lot of script checking for writing the index files, where we try to stay very accurate... but if you ever need to check the scripts, here's a good place for them:

http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 09:53:12 PM by PandoraX »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 09:55:36 PM »
Great facts, looks like he just stayed inside, rode his bike, listen to a geronomo jackson, ate some dharma food, shot himself up and punched the button.

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 10:01:29 PM »
Great facts, looks like he just stayed inside, rode his bike, listen to a geronomo jackson, ate some dharma food, shot himself up and punched the button.

I was thinking, he must have played that music darned loud... haha.  I wrote this in another thread I think, but the survivors were out there for 41 days without him having a clue there were others on the island... including the time Boone and Locke were up there knocking away at the hatch door with a giant trebuchet.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 10:02:11 PM »

IS there anything else more gratifying?  :)