Author Topic: Monster - Black smoke???  (Read 4342 times)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Monster - Black smoke???
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 09:55:33 PM »
Then the whispers said sis not the smoke monster. I believe they are two different things.

Offline HCRhino

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 02:02:01 PM »
I believe the smoke and the whispers are the same.  The whispers could not be of human origin as they are heard omni-directional.  I believe the whispers are the telekenetic communication by the energies that haunt the island.  These are the same energies that manifest themselves to the losties (i.e. Christian, etc.). But then I am also convinced that Jack's dad is dead (another thread where I seem to be in the minority).  This higher level of "being" is in line with hindi, buddha and theosophy, all philosophical themes that seem to weave through the series and THE.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 04:10:45 PM »
I believe the smoke and the whispers are the same.  The whispers could not be of human origin as they are heard omni-directional.  I believe the whispers are the telekenetic communication by the energies that haunt the island.  These are the same energies that manifest themselves to the losties (i.e. Christian, etc.). But then I am also convinced that Jack's dad is dead (another thread where I seem to be in the minority).  This higher level of "being" is in line with hindi, buddha and theosophy, all philosophical themes that seem to weave through the series and THE.
I think they are two different things but agree jack's dad is dead. Sorry Juggy

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 09:42:33 PM »
The whispers transcripts have different people talking back and forth describing and planning and worried about being seen. To me that does not fit into the smoke monster theories I believe.

I should go back and reread them with your theory in mind. It is as solid as any about the whispers.

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 06:29:59 AM »
The whispers transcripts have different people talking back and forth describing and planning and worried about being seen. To me that does not fit into the smoke monster theories I believe.

I should go back and reread them with your theory in mind. It is as solid as any about the whispers.

Hey Jug... I've always thought Smokey and Stompey were two different monsters until I went back and rewatched S1 lately...  The first time Locke encounters what we believe is the "monster" in the jungle, we hear the flapping bird sound (which we always hear when smokey is around), we see smoke AND....plants/bushes are being stomped on before Locke looks upward to "it."  Coincidentally, this is the only time we see both plants being stomped on AND see smoke...so maybe because it was so early in the story they hadn't really planned out what the flippin monster was.

Unless the writers plan on making a technical switch in S2, I guess I was wrong.

cheers
*Des8

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 05:11:18 PM »

Hey Jug... I've always thought Smokey and Stompey were two different monsters until I went back and rewatched S1 lately...  The first time Locke encounters what we believe is the "monster" in the jungle, we hear the flapping bird sound (which we always hear when smokey is around), we see smoke AND....plants/bushes are being stomped on before Locke looks upward to "it."  Coincidentally, this is the only time we see both plants being stomped on AND see smoke...so maybe because it was so early in the story they hadn't really planned out what the flippin monster was.

Unless the writers plan on making a technical switch in S2, I guess I was wrong.

cheers
*Des8
I think there is only one mosnter , in season one did not have the specialeffects ready for what locke saw.In seaontwohad the balcksmoke effect sameone used in harry pottermovies Stargate Sg1 and sued it formus to seethe monster as Eko saw it.

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 05:13:55 PM »
hmmm...How did I miss this thread, Smokie is one of my favorite things on the show..I will have to come back and read this thread tonight, cant now its almost time to go home! Later GJ, Always LOST and PANDINATOR!  ;D

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 05:15:19 PM »
hmmm...How did I miss this thread, Smokie is one of my favorite things on the show..I will have to come back and read this thread tonight, cant now its almost time to go home! Later GJ, Always LOST and PANDINATOR!  ;D
Thread will still be here hopefully still on topic.