Author Topic: Making me NUTZ!  (Read 3837 times)

Offline buzmeg

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Making me NUTZ!
« on: May 29, 2006, 10:51:42 AM »
 I love this show, but some things are driving me nuts!!

1) Okay, Locke, Eko, and maybe Desmond may have been blown to smithereens, and Charlie sits at the campfire and holds hands? Nobody's frantically searching for these three? What, did everybody get into another chunk of Charlie's stash?

2) Sayid is going to signal that he's in place with black smoke? What, the Others are all blind? Black smoke is a common occurrence on the beaches? What sense did this make?

3) Jack thinks he can control all things that may happen as he sets out with Michael. Yet he doesn't inform Hurley, Kate, or Sawyer? What blessed sense does that make? I can see keeping Hurley in the dark, but Kate and Sawyer? This is a stretch---

I find it hard to believe that, as a matter of sanity and survival, people wouldn't all get together say, every two days, and run down what's been going on and who's feeling how in a big group meeting. This compartmentalization of information is too unnatural and drives much of the plot. It blows the credibility. No marooned group would actually act like this given all the dangers.

Offline Zeke

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: Making me NUTZ!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 12:28:43 PM »
1) No-one/very few people knew that Locke and co were in the hatch and Charlie is still recovering from being blown up from the dynamite so for the time being let him worry about him.
2)Thats a good point but the others dont know that the losties have a boat so as far they're concerned the smoke could be anything from a forest fire to our friend the smoke monster...thing
3)i wouldnt have told sawyer because sawyer acts before he thinks and probably would have shot micheal at the first chance and i wouldnt have told kate because as soon as Sawyer  finds out that this is between jack and kate hes gonna think that they're still "caught in a net" and on  this kinds of a mission you need everyone to have their minds souly on the job.

Anyway thats my thoughts on your points

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 12:56:23 PM »
I love this show, but some things are driving me nuts!!

1) Okay, Locke, Eko, and maybe Desmond may have been blown to smithereens, and Charlie sits at the campfire and holds hands? Nobody's frantically searching for these three? What, did everybody get into another chunk of Charlie's stash?

2) Sayid is going to signal that he's in place with black smoke? What, the Others are all blind? Black smoke is a common occurrence on the beaches? What sense did this make?

3) Jack thinks he can control all things that may happen as he sets out with Michael. Yet he doesn't inform Hurley, Kate, or Sawyer? What blessed sense does that make? I can see keeping Hurley in the dark, but Kate and Sawyer? This is a stretch---

I find it hard to believe that, as a matter of sanity and survival, people wouldn't all get together say, every two days, and run down what's been going on and who's feeling how in a big group meeting. This compartmentalization of information is too unnatural and drives much of the plot. It blows the credibility. No marooned group would actually act like this given all the dangers.

1 Nun of the redshirts  ever go looking for anyone ever
2 What else is Sayid going to use to signal Jack and Co ?
3 No one ever talks about what the plan is especially if it might get some one killed

Offline Zeke

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »
3 No one ever talks about what the plan is especially if it might get some one killed

No-one ever talks full stop!

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 01:01:39 PM »

I don't mean to sound like a pessemist.... but How real is that?  If you do that in real life then you one of few... I think is speaks very well of people in real life... we all keep things to ourselves, rarely communicate, and are selfish by nature (in fact even 'good deed doers' are selfish because they do it to make themselves feel good).    I think its very real, and very credible.  Especially in a setting where you have been on an island for two months with people dying, and creepy things happening all over the place.   There are in fend for yourself mode.  On a good day in Smalltown, USA there is still lack of communication on this level, with people we know and love... stick that on a island with strangers... I doubt they will have family meetings meettings, or core dump on each other once every couple days.  

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 01:05:10 PM »

No-one ever talks full stop!

Sorry if i sounded harsh  I was just trying to keep it simple and to the point 

Offline davf0

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 01:45:30 PM »
hey i think amazon monkey is right its not a documentary about real life and i live in london and generally(maybe is just us english) we talk to each other unless we know them already or totally have to!

Offline buzmeg

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 02:28:38 PM »

I don't mean to sound like a pessemist.... but How real is that?  If you do that in real life then you one of few... I think is speaks very well of people in real life... we all keep things to ourselves, rarely communicate, and are selfish by nature (in fact even 'good deed doers' are selfish because they do it to make themselves feel good).    I think its very real, and very credible.  Especially in a setting where you have been on an island for two months with people dying, and creepy things happening all over the place.   There are in fend for yourself mode.  On a good day in Smalltown, USA there is still lack of communication on this level, with people we know and love... stick that on a island with strangers... I doubt they will have family meetings meettings, or core dump on each other once every couple days. 

A small group of people living(?) on an island in survival mode and you don't think they should or would be communicating with each other? This is a life & death situation, not a two week vacation at Club Med.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 02:38:58 PM »
DOn't feel like you are alone in your frustration about our Losties not talking to each other

we all feel the same way

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 03:05:35 PM »
Oh don't we ever.We have so many ideas for them all to get together and TALK they could start by going to look for Eko,Locke,and Desmond. :)

Offline buzmeg

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 03:16:24 PM »
Oh don't we ever.We have so many ideas for them all to get together and TALK they could start by going to look for Eko,Locke,and Desmond. :)
Exactly one of the points of my original post that is making me NUTZ.

I realize this is all fiction but some things a too far fetched from what a real survival situation might present.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 03:22:31 PM »
Charlie did give them the impression that the 3 were alright
so amybe they don't thin kthat they need to look for them

they also don't know that the 4 of them were in the hatch when the event happened

Offline buzmeg

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 03:43:00 PM »
Charlie did give them the impression that the 3 were alright
so amybe they don't thin kthat they need to look for them
they also don't know that the 4 of them were in the hatch when the event happened
In my life's experiences, I would think that if something unusual and possibly life threatening had occurred, the next step would be to gather everyone together, perform a head count, then proceed to evaluate the situation and seek out the missing persons. It's called damage control.

These people are sitting around like they are having a backyard barbecue.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 04:01:58 PM »
In my life's experiences, I would think that if something unusual and possibly life threatening had occurred, the next step would be to gather everyone together, perform a head count, then proceed to evaluate the situation and seek out the missing persons. It's called damage control.

Exactly  they just  saw the sky turn white violet heard a loud noise that hurt their ears, and no one compares notes,does a head count asks if everyone is all right.
There is a thread on this site called what proudcers are not allowed to do.You may want to check it out. ;) ;)

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »
Sure it would be nice, and maybe even more productive for them to talk, but look at what we know of their past... MANY of them have secrets, why would they start talking now?  "You run, I Con, Tiger don't change his stripes."   All I am saying is I think its very real, and there are many people that would be the same way, even in a survival situation.  I am not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here I am just saying how I feel and how I perceive the characters.