Author Topic: Making me NUTZ!  (Read 3996 times)

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
Re: Making me NUTZ!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 04:28:58 PM »
Sure it would be nice, and maybe even more productive for them to talk, but look at what we know of their past... MANY of them have secrets, why would they start talking now?  "You run, I Con, Tiger don't change his stripes."   All I am saying is I think its very real, and there are many people that would be the same way, even in a survival situation.  I am not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here I am just saying how I feel and how I perceive the characters.
I live in California. I've been through some pretty damaging earthquakes. The one thing that I notice is that when something of a disaster happens everyone who lives near or around you suddenly breaks down their "walls" and EVERYONE becomes supportive of one another. We all talk, constantly, nonstop. Someone hears a new piece of news, it gets passed onto everyone else, if for no other reason than it's "gossip" about the situation. I've never, EVER, seen people cluster into their own small, individual camps and keep secrets and lie to each other. Just the opposite.

Obviously the writers for Lost feel their storyline will propel forward better if this group of people constantly lie and keep secrets. But it's in no way because that's what people do in disastrous situations.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 04:41:52 PM »
Sure it would be nice, and maybe even more productive for them to talk, but look at what we know of their past... MANY of them have secrets, why would they start talking now?  "You run, I Con, Tiger don't change his stripes."   All I am saying is I think its very real, and there are many people that would be the same way, even in a survival situation.  I am not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here I am just saying how I feel and how I perceive the characters.
I live in California. I've been through some pretty damaging earthquakes. The one thing that I notice is that when something of a disaster happens everyone who lives near or around you suddenly breaks down their "walls" and EVERYONE becomes supportive of one another. We all talk, constantly, nonstop. Someone hears a new piece of news, it gets passed onto everyone else, if for no other reason than it's "gossip" about the situation. I've never, EVER, seen people cluster into their own small, individual camps and keep secrets and lie to each other. Just the opposite.

Obviously the writers for Lost feel their storyline will propel forward better if this group of people constantly lie and keep secrets. But it's in no way because that's what people do in disastrous situations.

I am sorry you had to have to go through that in order to know that is how people react... But I am sure there were still things people didn't know, people that kept secrets.   I am not saying you and your neighborhood did...but there are many differwnt personalities.   I am sure too that people on your stree were not Con Men, Doctors who lost their edge, A girl on the run, a Iraqi Torurist, and Crazy overwirhght guy who nobody likes, killed two people, went crazy, and then won the lottery... a man who agreed to become a murder for the love of his life so he could be with his love... but ruined that in the making... there are all kinds of reasons these people are keeping secrets.   I am a pesemist... I am not saying there are not people that band together (look at how all the reshirst banded together, I am sure they are talking), but where not watching those poeple.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 04:52:53 PM »

I am sorry you had to have to go through that in order to know that is how people react... But I am sure there were still things people didn't know, people that kept secrets.   I am not saying you and your neighborhood did...but there are many differwnt personalities.   I am sure too that people on your stree were not Con Men, Doctors who lost their edge, A girl on the run, a Iraqi Torurist, and Crazy overwirhght guy who nobody likes, killed two people, went crazy, and then won the lottery... a man who agreed to become a murder for the love of his life so he could be with his love... but ruined that in the making... there are all kinds of reasons these people are keeping secrets.   I am a pesemist... I am not saying there are not people that band together (look at how all the reshirst banded together, I am sure they are talking), but where not watching those poeple.

Not when it came to the disaster itself. One reason we told everything we heard or discovered is because we wanted to know everything that everyone else heard and discovered as well. You instinctively know that information never flows one way, you encourage others telling you what they know by telling others what you know. Anything that would help us get through it. Seriously, they aren't reacting even remotely how people would act in a situation like surviving a plane crash together. Once you get your barings, you become closer out of an instinct for survival if nothing else. It would have been more realistic if the first season showed the survivors constantly sharing information and not keeping things from one another, and then slowly returning to their "civilized" selves by keeping important things from one another and lying to each other. But the show had them doing so right off the bat.

And that's the thing about disasters...there ARE no "con men", "iraqi soldiers", "fugitives on the run", "millionare lottery winners", etc, etc. All those identities fall by the wayside because those identities no longer hold any value or relevance. On Gilligan's Island the fact that Thurston Howell is a multi millionaire may have mattered lol...but in a more realistic portrayal like Lost the fact that Hurley is a multimillionaire is, at best, a mild curiosity to say "hmm" to.

Offline buzmeg

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »

I won't belabor the point. My one final comment is that even though these people have "pasts" they are now in a situation totally common to each other. It's survival, and IMHO this is not how human beings would act toward each other given this tragic event.

BTW: Did I miss something? I've never heard anyone referred to as "redshirts." Who are they?

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 05:01:51 PM »

Not when it came to the disaster itself. One reason we told everything we heard or discovered is because we wanted to know everything that everyone else heard and discovered as well. You instinctively know that information never flows one way, you encourage others telling you what they know by telling others what you know. Anything that would help us get through it. Seriously, they aren't reacting even remotely how people would act in a situation like surviving a plane crash together. Once you get your barings, you become closer out of an instinct for survival if nothing else. It would have been more realistic if the first season showed the survivors constantly sharing information and not keeping things from one another, and then slowly returning to their "civilized" selves by keeping important things from one another and lying to each other. But the show had them doing so right off the bat.

And that's the thing about disasters...there ARE no "con men", "iraqi soldiers", "fugitives on the run", "millionare lottery winners", etc, etc. All those identities fall by the wayside because those identities no longer hold any value or relevance. On Gilligan's Island the fact that Thurston Howell is a multi millionaire may have mattered lol...but in a more realistic portrayal like Lost the fact that Hurley is a multimillionaire is, at best, a mild curiosity to say "hmm" to.

I am glad your passionate about it and that you have a good eperience, I can't say I know anything about it.  I am just being a devils advocate and can't substantiate what I say.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 05:41:48 PM »
Just a party yesterday talking lost and I had to go on the Why dosen't people talk to each other rant? I love the show but this drives me nuts and at some point may turn me off. It is just unrealistic that these people would not discuss the events of craphole island.

i think it is something the should address next season

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 06:11:16 PM »
I completley agree,if they don't have their communal bonfire sing a few bars of Kum Baya,and discuss things soon in season 3,may lose me too. 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 07:37:52 PM »
It really needs to be done early in season 3 to get us to shut up about it? :)

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 08:43:24 PM »
It really needs to be done early in season 3 to get us to shut up about it? :)

I am going to miss you guys... ;)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 09:58:29 PM »
I'll find something else once they do the big pow wow.

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 04:22:51 PM »

Same here after Katrina.  Even though many of us were out of town, the communication between neighbors and even total strangers was amazing.

Slight digression:  When I lived in Los Angeles, we  had a small earthquake one morning.  Right after, my phone rang.  I answered and a man said "Are you OK?"  I said "Who is this?"  He said "Isn't this XXX?, I was looking for my wife to find out if she's ok."  I said, "I think you have the wrong number, you  should try and call her again."  He paused for a second and said "OK, but are you alright?"  I still smile when I think of that.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 11:12:44 PM »
I too live in CA and the 1989 earthquake still fresh in my mind.Everyone looked out for everyone lse.I had no TV  just a llttle battery radio,my aunt was calling me from Virginia wiht  updates people do talk except on this island.