Author Topic: Why no black lights in fake lock downs  (Read 7887 times)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Why no black lights in fake lock downs
« on: May 28, 2006, 06:55:15 PM »
This is for Demra who came up with this question on another thread.
 Why didn't the blacklights come on every time Kelvin and Desmond did a fake lock down, or when Locke and Desmond did one? Kelvin obviously knew about them, hence his writing in paint that he knew would show up under the lights.Yet, it appears he never showed the map to Desmond as Desmond was shocked by Locke telling him there was another Hatch. Plus, Desmond for three years did not seem to ask a lot of questions.
So when it was just Rudinksy and Kelvin when did they get to actually see the map? Why was Locke able to see it? What conditions had changed from a fake lock down to a real one to make the map appear?

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: Why no black lights in fake lock downs
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 08:55:16 AM »
I think it's a valid question.  I sort of wondered it for a second, too.  I guess you could argue if you fake a lockdown, you could bypass the whole protocol and just get the door part... because of the wiring.  But I don't know.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 12:31:10 PM »
I think it's a valid question.  I sort of wondered it for a second, too.  I guess you could argue if you fake a lockdown, you could bypass the whole protocol and just get the door part... because of the wiring.  But I don't know.

Thats what I thought too, and when the REAL lockdown happened that Desmond was on the side with the computer so he could push the button and never saw the map... thats the only way I can explain it.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 02:04:04 PM »
Good theroies both of you amazon monkey and Pandora.You would think Desmond poor guy would have seen the actual map at sometime.But he never bothered tobe in the room when an actual lock down occured to see what it was all about.Three years I would have  become more curious.

Offline narghile

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 02:24:24 PM »
my real question is, instead of trying to remember what the map looked like, why not hard wire the lamp from an existing power source, as in take a lead from somewhere else, and splice it in the black light's wiring... then you can stare at it for days.

-narghile

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 03:46:21 PM »
Excellet point but for some reason Kelvin  did not want Desmond to see the map.Desmond had no idea what was on it. Only one we know about who does is Locke.

Offline narghile

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 04:41:18 PM »
and i kinda meant locke.  ::)

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 04:44:21 PM »
Completely agree, I was wondering the same thing too...

Also, I was interested in how Kelvin could see what he was adding? Those equations etc were very detailed and the writing was reasonably small. He was just using a brush - surely stuff like that would have to be written with a pen of some sort?

I know he looked at it from a different angle but I'm not convinced he would have been able to see in detail what was already on there without the black lights... What do you think?

Offline narghile

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 04:51:11 PM »
If you use liquid detergent you can still see it, ive done this a long time ago before the episode and its not REALLY transparent, at least not on a white wall. Mabey on a metal door though, although you'd see the residue.

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 04:54:04 PM »
Ah, OK, thanks for clearing that up. Still doesn't answer how he could be so detailed with a big brush?

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 04:58:53 PM »
If you use liquid detergent you can still see it, ive done this a long time ago before the episode and its not REALLY transparent, at least not on a white wall. Mabey on a metal door though, although you'd see the residue.

This is true but you have to know its there (be looking) and most of the time the dorr was up, and if Kelvin was there I am sure he wouldn't give Desmond a chance to hairy eyeball it.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 05:24:32 PM »
No way Kelvin was going to let Desmond see it.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 05:36:26 PM »
I wish locke would just tell people about the big map and they would all go have a look at it.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 05:43:32 PM »
I wish he would too but he doesn't know nor does Desmond  know howto get the black light to come on and show it to people,hence his drawing his silly map.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 05:49:30 PM »
Go get the people and see who can figure it out. People on the island have different skills use them