Author Topic: "...when Walt joined us."  (Read 6827 times)

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: "...when Walt joined us."
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 05:49:42 PM »
Make that two, but remember his powers did show up also when he wasn't angry reading the comic book, throwing the knife, playing backgammon.

I thought he was angry w/ the comic book b/c Michael took it from him and burned it. As far as the other two I'll have to go back and watch b/c I don't remember the knife thing at all.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 06:06:06 PM »
Not the first time when they first get out of  the plane wrecakage, he is reading it.That is when they spot polar bear number one that Sawyer kills.It's the second one when Walt is caught it inside the tree by one that he was reading it, prior to this and got mad when Michael threw it away.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 06:08:44 PM »
Oh yeah... thanks for clearing that up!!

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 06:14:30 PM »
No problem. But we all agree a lot happened with Walt with the others and he amy have done bad things tot hem when he got angry. Maybe when they shut him upIN THE ROOM,he acted out even more.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 07:35:36 PM »
I think he became very dificult to handle. Plus he could appear to shannon and sayid and send messages. That couldn't of gone over well.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 01:36:48 AM »
You guys realize that there's absolutely nothing so far that points to Walt intimidating all the Others with his "powers", right??...lol...Not to mention that winning at backgammon probably isn't something that should be chalked up to his "powers", either. Since we're speculating for all we know Locke let him win.

Right now the show is giving the vibe that the Others got whatever they wanted and needed from Walt, so they have no problems in letting him go, especially if doing so means they get Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Hurley in return. I haven't seen anything that showed anyone in the Others camp being effected by Walt's presence at all, nor have I seen anything that showed Walt being anything other than nervous and scared while around them.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 08:48:46 AM »
You guys realize that there's absolutely nothing so far that points to Walt intimidating all the Others with his "powers", right??...lol...Not to mention that winning at backgammon probably isn't something that should be chalked up to his "powers", either. Since we're speculating for all we know Locke let him win.

Right now the show is giving the vibe that the Others got whatever they wanted and needed from Walt, so they have no problems in letting him go, especially if doing so means they get Jack, Kate, Sawyer and Hurley in return. I haven't seen anything that showed anyone in the Others camp being effected by Walt's presence at all, nor have I seen anything that showed Walt being anything other than nervous and scared while around them.

I think that is because we havn't been meant to see anything yet, were supposed to wonder, were supposed to vasilate and mull over what he said.  It was very carefully worded.  I don't think there is a strong argument either way.  You can't just say no because you didn't see it... we didn't see The Elizabeth being fixed, but Desmond showed up in it and THEN we learned how it got fixed.   Just an example of us not knowing how something played out until its time for us to know.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 12:40:41 PM »
Remember that Fenry said that he was not happy with the deal made to get him out. He was not thrilled with letting Watl go but that he would keep his word.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2006, 12:44:12 PM »
Excellent point Jugdish

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 01:36:26 PM »
Remember that Fenry said that he was not happy with the deal made to get him out. He was not thrilled with letting Watl go but that he would keep his word.

Exactly. That's another reason I don't quite buy the scenario in which Walt's imagined super powers intimidated the Others to the point that they were willing to let him go. It's also a reason I don't believe Fake Henry is "Him" (like a few other people I know think). If he was "Him" the Others would never make a deal without his approval, and that line from Henry made it sound like he didn't learn about the deal for Walt until after the fact.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 01:46:39 PM »

Yes... but didn't Fenry say "we got more than we bargained for" when getting Walt.  That sentence alone can make us speculate whether he meant that Walt was too much to handle for some reason or another.  We do know from Walt's history that he does have some "powers" whether he knows or not.  And the fact that in "3 minutes" Bea kept questioning Michael about Walt's history.
You're right in the fact that we don't know for sure... That is why I am hoping for a Walt centric show early next season to find out exactly what they meant.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 01:57:55 PM »

Yes... but didn't Fenry say "we got more than we bargained for" when getting Walt.  That sentence alone can make us speculate whether he meant that Walt was too much to handle for some reason or another.  We do know from Walt's history that he does have some "powers" whether he knows or not.  And the fact that in "3 minutes" Bea kept questioning Michael about Walt's history.
You're right in the fact that we don't know for sure... That is why I am hoping for a Walt centric show early next season to find out exactly what they meant.

I think that statement by Fenry ("we got more than we bargained for") coupled with his other statement about not being happy with the deal that was made with Micheal to get Walt back, tends to lean my thinking much more towards the Others feeling they got more from Walt than they could have ever hoped for. That his being there was a positive for them. So much so that Fenry didn't want to let him go.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 02:07:53 PM »
I guess it all goes back to Point of View.   Hopefully we will find out next season.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 02:30:05 PM »
I guess it all goes back to Point of View.   Hopefully we will find out next season.

I still think that the creators of the show realized that Walt's very noticeable growth spurt and maturing of his facial features made it next to impossible to feature him as much as they originally planned, so they diminished his role and importance on the show and had the Others give him back to Michael and say "thanks, we're done with him" lol. Now the focus is not on Walt being captured, but on Jack, Kate and Sawyer being captured.

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 02:31:48 PM »

I still think that the creators of the show realized that Walt's very noticeable growth spurt and maturing of his facial features made it next to impossible to feature him as much as they originally planned, so they diminished his role and importance on the show and had the Others give him back to Michael and say "thanks, we're done with him" lol. Now the focus is not on Walt being captured, but on Jack, Kate and Sawyer being captured.

he's gonna be a gruff little man before long