Author Topic: "...when Walt joined us."  (Read 6826 times)

Offline Yaggleberry Finn

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
"...when Walt joined us."
« on: May 27, 2006, 09:53:55 PM »
Did anyone else think it was strange the way Fenry talked about Walt?  He said something along the lines of, "We got more than we bargained for when Walt joined us."  Isn't joined an odd word choice?  Do you think Walt is now working with them?  Or do you think it was just Fenry's way of making kidnapping sound better?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: "...when Walt joined us."
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 02:51:27 AM »
My first impression was that Walt was to uncooperative with them and therefor useless. More than we bargained was a difficult and hard headed subject to work with.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 09:11:07 AM »
Did anyone else think it was strange the way Fenry talked about Walt?  He said something along the lines of, "We got more than we bargained for when Walt joined us."  Isn't joined an odd word choice?  Do you think Walt is now working with them?  Or do you think it was just Fenry's way of making kidnapping sound better?

My personal opinion is that it is just the second choice, and just a figure of speech to make kidnapping sound more palatable (much like when the bad guys in movies say "Glad you could join us", Batman, or Mr. Bond, or whoever the hero of the day is).  But it is still open for speculation, I think, anyone who is with the Others for a set amount of time could be "absorbed".

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 10:58:13 AM »
My first impression was that Walt was to uncooperative with them and therefor useless. More than we bargained was a difficult and hard headed subject to work with.

Maybe he made Henrys pet bird fly into a window ;)

Offline Zeke

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 10:42:11 AM »
Maybe Walt was a bit of a prankster, stuck superglue on the inside of Keke's (LEGEND)  beard so it wudnt come off for ages ;D

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 04:55:29 PM »
I think he was referring to Walt's "powers".   Think about all we learned in season one about walt, with the polar bears and the birds at his mom's house.  Maybe the fact that Walt has these powers were a problem. That is why Bea was questioning Michael. And what if all those times that Walt was seen at camp at the beginning of the season were due to his "powers", then maybe that is what they didn't bargain for.  They didn't realize that by getting Walt he would be able to do all these things.  That is why his step father didn't want him either.

Just my opinion.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 05:04:06 PM »
Isn't that why they wanted Walt? And don't forget how he always won in backgammon and could throw a knife by just thinking about it.I hate to go with the cloning theroy.But I do think they were somewhat amzed at discovering how much Walt could do.At the same time we know he as a typicaltenyear old would do in his circumstance, acted up as he was sent to "the room."

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 05:07:14 PM »
i don't know if they ever stated why they wanted walt.  I think they wanted him because he was a child.  Just like they took the other children... Alex, the two on the plane.. and tried to Take Claires. My guess is they would be easier to brainwash at a young age.  I just don't think they really knew about his powers.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 05:09:33 PM »
Walt's grown so much, and Michael was such an irritating character (lol), that I keep thinking that the writers diminished Walt's importance to the show just so that they wouldn't have to keep either of them around much. Henry's talk with Michael came across slightly as thanks for playing, you've both been great especially Walt, here's your parting gift.

If Walt was "more than they bargained for" in terms of his ability and "specialness", you'd think they'd want to keep him longer, and not let him go.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 05:15:28 PM »

If Walt was "more than they bargained for" in terms of his ability and "specialness", you'd think they'd want to keep him longer, and not let him go.

Except that when Walt got angry his abilities tended to generate bad things.  Being in a place he didn't know with people who kidnapped him could have caused his abilities to go haywire... thus being more than they bargained for. 

I know I have a strong opinion about this.. but that is my gut instinct. I am hoping next season they do a flashback w/ Walt showing what happened while  he was with them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 05:34:01 PM by jules778 »

Offline lwaves

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 05:30:20 PM »
I personally don't think that it was just a figure of speech. I think that Walt has joined them.
Part of this is because for all the time the Others stood talking on the dock, through the light and the rumblings, Walt never once made a sound. Now I know he probably had a gun on him but he appeared to defy them before in the hut when he spoke to his Dad. So why not this time?

I am also going with the idea that the Others are the good guys and Walt now knows this which is why he's joined them. Twisted good guys maybe but still on the right side. Maybe they really don't want Michael and are using Walt to get him out of the way.

Maybe.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 05:34:28 PM »

Except that when Walt got angry his abilities tended to generate bad things.  Being in a place he didn't know with people who kidnapped him could have caused his abilities to go haywire... thus being more than they bargained for. 

I know I have a strong opinion about this.. but that is my gut instint. I am hoping next season they do a flashback w/ Walt showing what happened while  he was with them.

I am in with this line of thinking. He was too much for them to handle at that location.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 05:37:32 PM »
Thanks jugdish...This my first time really writing about the show... Now I have an ally!!!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 05:42:34 PM »
keep writing good stuff like this and you will have many :)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 05:47:18 PM »
Make that two, but remember his powers did show up also when he wasn't angry reading the comic book, throwing the knife, playing backgammon.