Author Topic: Incident???  (Read 5683 times)

Offline V

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Incident???
« on: May 27, 2006, 12:25:11 PM »
Am I correct in asserting that at this time there is no clear idea of what the 'incident' actually was?
Someone please help me out here, because I'm worrying i've missed something cryptic here, when in actual fact it was never really revealed.

Offline ragedBR

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Incident???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 12:33:03 PM »
I can't even remember when they said that THERE WAS an incident.

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 12:53:11 PM »
The Incindent ws refered to in the Swan orintation video
It is what changed to protocol about the Button to be  pushed every 108 minutes

What the incident actually was i think was answered in the finale
you dont push the button bad things happen
i think there will be other ramifications that we will find out about in season 3

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 04:18:03 PM »
The incident was also referenced on the blast door map, as having occured in 1985.  Because this date is after 1980, the copyright date of the movie, this indicates there was either a continuity issue, or there was at least one incident.

Kelvin also mentioned the incident briefly when he was in the key room, drunk.  He said that the incident was caused by a leak in electromagnetism from the Swan, and that's why pushing the button protocol started... to release a little of the EM every time.  So I think demra is right in that this last scene was one of another "incident"... and that it is related to the EMP that brought the plane down.

You guys can check the Index profiles, too, as reminders, I wrote one on Incident which is updated with each show's new info.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 06:40:58 PM »
sowehave the incident that took place prior to the film which causes them to wear the phony Hazmats suits then one in 1985, then Desmond's system failure in 2004,and the one from the finale?

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 09:29:07 PM »

Yes, the 'Incident' that inspired the 108 minute release by entering a code was clearly in my mind a large scale event.  The 'incident' (lower case 'i') that brought the plane down [if its true and not just a way to stray us] was no nearly as bad.   

What I want to know, is...is this magnet whatever like a capaciter and colllects to the point of disharge and whatever man made device they have can't handle more than 108 minutes worth of a charge?  It seems that after that 108 minutes all of the sudden the magnetic force is GIGANTIC wouldn't it build up?

If the button was to discharge it, wouldn't it slowly get stronger and then when the button is pushed released, and go god knows where... but if you don't things go ape in a few seconds?  (This would also presume the original experiment lasted less than 108 minutes if EVERY time 108 minutes pass without release the thing goes nuts).

I know the numbers are  why a large code to enter every time?  And why not give everyone there own code?  (I know I know LOST wouldn't be LOST without those numbers).

Nothing is locked in for me, I still want more answers, some things relating to this hatch are still VERY unanswered and I am not sure I trust where they have left us at the end of this season.  We'll see. 

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 03:13:42 AM »
The incident was also referenced on the blast door map, as having occured in 1985.  Because this date is after 1980, the copyright date of the movie, this indicates there was either a continuity issue, or there was at least one incident.

Kelvin also mentioned the incident briefly when he was in the key room, drunk.  He said that the incident was caused by a leak in electromagnetism from the Swan, and that's why pushing the button protocol started... to release a little of the EM every time.  So I think demra is right in that this last scene was one of another "incident"... and that it is related to the EMP that brought the plane down.

You guys can check the Index profiles, too, as reminders, I wrote one on Incident which is updated with each show's new info.

Thanks Pandora
I had not caught the time line on this
As always  my many thanks  8)

Offline abaymomma

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 03:50:49 AM »
Anyone with a medical background can probably answer this, but would exposure to a high blast of EM do anything to the human body?  Could that be the reason for the incident and the reason they are releasing some of the EM buildup a little bit at a time?

Offline V

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 06:31:37 AM »
Thanks guys for your response.  I was aware of those 'incidents', but thought that there might have been more revealed... silly me.  They gotta give a bit more next Season, they just gotta...

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 09:08:30 AM »
... no problems, demra....

Anyone with a medical background can probably answer this, but would exposure to a high blast of EM do anything to the human body?  Could that be the reason for the incident and the reason they are releasing some of the EM buildup a little bit at a time?

Hey abay, this is a very good question, I think.  As a doctor, I've come up against this subject before, and looked into it in the past.  The truth is, there's a real shortage of randomized controlled trials and good solid scientific research on this topic, especially EMFs of the magnitude the storyline is telling us.  I know there are a few studies where they've been linked to longer term effects like brain tumors and depression/fatigue/chronic physical ailments, and there's a whole society that has sprung up to oppose new technologies like cell phones, power lines, etc, a lot of noise in the medical community lately that there are more than isolated reports of long term problems resulting from EMFs.  But over the short term, to this degree, I haven't seen any good literature.

Here's some reading about (mostly long term exposure) of lower magnitude EMFs from a reliable site, the WHO:
http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html

Here's one about organization against EMF "pollution" (like noise or air pollution, in a way; have read it over, and the historical info is pretty accurate, as far as I have seen elsewhere):
http://www.whale.to/b/elf6.html

There are also rumors that EMFs were experimented on before as weaponary by the military.. but I'll have to look that stuff up again.

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 09:13:55 AM »
OK, I found that weaponary link again, the site itself is a bit kooky, but the report is by CNN:

http://www.mindcontrolforums.com/cnn-mc.htm

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 04:52:48 PM »
There are also rumors that EMFs were experimented on before as weaponary by the military.. but I'll have to look that stuff up again.

Oh, Pandora, we could fill up volumes on that subject alone!

What is more interesting (and far more disturbing) than the use of EMF in weaponry is its use in surveillance.  The National Security Agency (NSA) has been developing EMF monitoring since the MKULTRA program of the early 1950's, which included neurological research into radiation (non-ionizing EMF) and bioelectric research and development. The resulting secret technology is categorized at the National Archives as "Radiation Intelligence," defined as "information from unintentionally emanated electromagnetic waves in the environment..."  What the official documents do not say is that MKULTRA was specifically devoted to development of active, not passive, use of the EMF generated by the human brain -- for mind control.  The best documentation of MKULTRA is in John Marks's book, "The Search for the Manchurian Candidate."  (Incomplete, of course, given that the CIA destroyed most of its records on the program in the early '70s.)

There are strong hints that the "Lost" writers have this history in mind with their "psychological experiments" in the hatch system.  It remains to be seen where they're going with it, beyond the already parallels with the "Skinner Box", but anyone who knows the history can't help but wonder if mind control through EMF monitoring and manipulation is going to emerge as a theme at some point. 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 05:50:45 PM »
Very likely skinner box seems to have reached a dead end

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 06:02:50 PM »
Oh I thinkthe writers producers have gone way past the skinner box theroy.

Offline jordangr7

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 06:07:25 PM »
V.... as in V for Vendetta or V the book