Author Topic: Skinner Box  (Read 2424 times)

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Skinner Box
« on: May 27, 2006, 02:31:37 AM »

Desmond calls Locke "Boxman" several times after Locke convinces him to help rundown the timer.  Box refering to a skinner box... a  device used in experimental psychology to study animal cognition.  Locke isn't happy about being  a labrat.  Very witty of Desmond.... BUT (and mayeb this is a flaw and maybe it isn't) Demonds calls him this before they even have that conversation...

Locke       "So What DID one snowman say to the other?"
Desmond   "Smell likes carrots!"
Locke       "Hello Desmond."
Desmond   "Hello yourself; Boxman"

Hmmmm.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Skinner Box
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 02:32:52 AM »
Or is he calling Locke boxman because he use to work at a box company- the one that Hurley owned.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 02:35:16 AM »
Or is he calling Locke boxman because he use to work at a box company- the one that Hurley owned.

Good point, I stand corrected.  Thanks... its too late to be thinking about this stuff :)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 12:46:22 AM »
Pluson somany other topicthreads theroies have gone well beyond Skinner.
We have to be carefulnot to look for clues where none exist.

Offline spyhunter

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 12:12:37 PM »
I am pretty sure Desmond is saying "Bossman."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 02:50:34 PM by spyhunter »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 04:12:46 PM »
I thought boxman most of the time. I did think I heard bossman once. Can anyone closed caption this and find out??

Offline spyhunter

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 09:04:08 AM »
I was wrong on this one.  After watching the first meeting between Desmond and Locke I realize that he calls him Boxman because Locke told him he works for a company that makes boxes.

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 03:45:15 AM »

Desmond calls Locke "Boxman" several times after Locke convinces him to help rundown the timer.  Box refering to a skinner box... a  device used in experimental psychology to study animal cognition.  Locke isn't happy about being  a labrat.  Very witty of Desmond.... BUT (and mayeb this is a flaw and maybe it isn't) Demonds calls him this before they even have that conversation...

Hmmmm.

Amazon:

Your idea is quite valid, imho.  The first time our Losties started pressing the button, I immediately thought of the mice and the Skinner Box.  Having said that, In the beginning of S2, perhaps it's Adrift?  Desmond does in fact call Locke "Boxman" after he learns what Locke did for a living... But the equation was already there, and it was the Skinner Box by the time the show aired.  Coincidence and nice easter egg?  Yep.

cheers
*Des8

Offline davf0

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »
i think its just a minor detail that desmond is showing locke that he remembers him and in someway appreciates him pressing the button its shows a bit affection in a way

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 02:53:50 AM »

Hmmmm.

Amazon:
Good point, it could be a double entendre, and a clever one at that.

cheers
*Des8

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 01:06:34 PM »

Hmmmm.

Amazon:
Good point, it could be a double entendre, and a clever one at that.

cheers
*Des8
He could have told him he worked for a boxcompany and nothing more somethings have to be taken at face value on this show.