Author Topic: "We're the good guys" - Fenry  (Read 15121 times)

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
"We're the good guys" - Fenry
« on: May 26, 2006, 08:42:02 PM »
So what do you think this means?
I'm thinking a lot about author's point of view. I mean so far we're hearing the story of the island through the people on the airplane (and Desmond).
Is there a bigger story out there that the Others really are the good guys and the losties are getting in the way of something very important that they're doing?

You can't believe Fenry though, he lied to Locke that he didn't push the button during the Lockdown.
Cus we all know he did. Or else all magnetic hell would have broken loose like the finale.

Anyway, I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this statement he made.

Offline sam_i_am

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "We're the good guys" - Fenry
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 10:01:28 PM »
I've made numerous statements on this on multiple sites. I think Fenry and the others think they are "helping" those who they consider "worthy". They seem to want to save (by save I mean "vacinate") the children first, and this is something the writers have been playing on since the begining of season 1.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 12:20:53 AM »
They are the good guys from their perspective. They feel they are doing good with whatever the heck they are doing on craphole island.

Offline andersinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 06:07:43 AM »
Good and Bad is nothing more than opinion, for example is it good to steal bread for a hungry family. Some will say its good whereas other will say its bad, i just think that Fenry believes what he/they are doing is right and good whereas the losties may believe it to be bad/wrong.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 01:15:43 AM »
Good is all a matter of one's perspective,The Gihad think what they are doing is noble and good.

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 08:56:18 PM »
Throughout history groups have performed atrocious acts "for the greater good."  And not just those that we automatically see as bad, i.e. Nazis, Republican Guard but also America dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki or harking way back to Cain and Abel.......

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 07:35:49 PM »
Exactly girlfriend I said samething in earlier thread about the definition of being good used nazi's and Jihad. What the latter did they hthought they were doing for the better good.

BlackrockBob

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 01:30:07 PM »
If they are the good guys, there has to be people that Fenry thinks are the bad guys.

I am sure that will be revealed in Season 3, at least why Fenry thinks he is the good guys.

I don't think we know that the "Hostiles" are Fenry's group yet, there can be more "Others" on the island.

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 08:36:59 PM »
If they are the good guys, there has to be people that Fenry thinks are the bad guys.

I am sure that will be revealed in Season 3, at least why Fenry thinks he is the good guys.

I don't think we know that the "Hostiles" are Fenry's group yet, there can be more "Others" on the island.

Hey hey hey BlackrockBob..... wow.  You kind of blew my mind for a minute.  I had always assumed (dumb word) that the "hostiles" were TheOthers.  "Hostile" being a military term--glad you picked up on that, too.  But I bet you're right.

So, BlackrockBob, the next epi is "A Tale of Two Cities."  I posted that I speculated that one city would be that of TheOthers, whom consider themselves good, the other being the city of the "bad people".... right up there with "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times" idea, but people didn't like it.  I bet your idea gives them something to think about.

Hmmmm....The Hostiles aren't TheOthers.  Fab.  I love it.

cheers and thanks!
*Des8

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 09:30:38 PM »

Hey hey hey BlackrockBob..... wow.  You kind of blew my mind for a minute.  I had always assumed (dumb word) that the "hostiles" were TheOthers.  "Hostile" being a military term--glad you picked up on that, too.  But I bet you're right.

So, BlackrockBob, the next epi is "A Tale of Two Cities."  I posted that I speculated that one city would be that of TheOthers, whom consider themselves good, the other being the city of the "bad people".... right up there with "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times" idea, but people didn't like it.  I bet your idea gives them something to think about.

Hmmmm....The Hostiles aren't TheOthers.  Fab.  I love it.

cheers and thanks!
*Des8
i never said i didn't like your idea des.  i too think the first episode could be about the good guys and the bad guys (all "others").  but my second choice is that it is about the others (that we know) on the island, and those people in the igloo.  i really don't know, but i think your idea is quite possible!

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 05:57:09 AM »
Aw, Ladybug, I wasn't being specific--and certainly not pointed toward you!!!!  I just happen to think the Tale of Two Cities as being the "good people" and the "bad people" as being kinda cool.... BUT

I really like this idea of the "Hostiles" not being TheOthers as we currently believe them to be, but the Hostiles being who TheOthers think of as bad.

This is a great idea and it never occurred to me.  That's why I love reading this board!  So many wonderful ideas from so many great people!

cheers darlin
*Des8

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2006, 03:46:06 PM »
Kelvin used the term Hostiles referring to where the others were at other end of island. Ans he was a memebr ofDharma.Henry  could have been playing with Locke about HIM and  other mean people.But I dont think there are two separate grous.Liek any orgnazation dissent among the ranks.Henry afraid of HIM yet obvious by fianle henry is also a powerful man in the ranks.So could be as this showis based on perpespective there is differign perpsectives on how things shouldbe run by Dharma and hanso and possibly Widmore.Pecking order.

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 12:26:20 AM »
Kelvin used the term Hostiles referring to where the others were at other end of island. Ans he was a memebr ofDharma.Henry  could have been playing with Locke about HIM and  other mean people.But I dont think there are two separate grous.Liek any orgnazation dissent among the ranks.Henry afraid of HIM yet obvious by fianle henry is also a powerful man in the ranks.So could be as this showis based on perpespective there is differign perpsectives on how things shouldbe run by Dharma and hanso and possibly Widmore.Pecking order.

GJ: I have to disagree that we know who the Hostiles are.  There is absolutely no way anyone can say that difinitively--it can be speculated, but not supported at this point.  The audience, and our Losties for that matter, have no idea who else is on the Island, let alone that there is one specific group of people running the show.  A direct example of this is that NONE of us knew about The Tailies before we saw The Other 48 Days. 

As the subject of this thread states, and Fenry himself said, "we're the good guys, Michael."  and it begs the question, then who do his people think are the bad guys?  Are they there on the Island? 

Kelvin's choice of wording was very specific and I think it was a clue.  I've posted this before, but "hostiles" is a military term.  He didn't say "insurgents," he didn't say "scientists," he said "hostiles."  I guess we'll find out soon enough!

cheers
*Des8

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 12:27:37 AM »
GJ:

PS)  I do think you have a point about dissent amongst the ranks about who is in charge, or what their purpose is, tho

Offline MaxsDad

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 11:15:37 AM »

GJ: I have to disagree that we know who the Hostiles are.  There is absolutely no way anyone can say that difinitively--it can be speculated, but not supported at this point.  The audience, and our Losties for that matter, have no idea who else is on the Island, let alone that there is one specific group of people running the show.  A direct example of this is that NONE of us knew about The Tailies before we saw The Other 48 Days. 

As the subject of this thread states, and Fenry himself said, "we're the good guys, Michael."  and it begs the question, then who do his people think are the bad guys?  Are they there on the Island? 

Kelvin's choice of wording was very specific and I think it was a clue.  I've posted this before, but "hostiles" is a military term.  He didn't say "insurgents," he didn't say "scientists," he said "hostiles."  I guess we'll find out soon enough!

cheers
*Des8
Just a theory but could The Hanso Foundation or the Department of Defense be the bad guys? Could Dharma ( a peace loving scientific community who needed financial backing) had a falling out with the Hanso Foundation  ( the financial backers, AKA the global warmongers turned nice guys (yeah right.) ) who wanted to turn Dharmas betterment of man discoveries into weapons of war? And taken to living underground, hiding from the Hanso goons?

just speculation!