Author Topic: Living in a Snow Globe  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Gordon Shumway

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Living in a Snow Globe
« on: May 26, 2006, 06:43:55 PM »
OLLY-wood says:
Quote from: Gordon Shumway on Today at 05:03:42 pm
and, I not thinking about some fantasy in a snow globe type thing.  I'm thinking something a little more socially conscious...like global warming?  nuclear winter? 

sounds like you should take a trip to the theories boards, my friend...

you might be onto something
Posted: Today at 05:34:20 pm
Gordon Shumway says:
and, I not thinking about some fantasy in a snow globe type thing.  I'm thinking something a little more socially conscious...like global warming?  nuclear winter? 
Posted: Today at 05:03:42 pm
Gordon Shumway says:
and, the artic guys were, well...in the snow...
Posted: Today at 04:47:18 pm
Gordon Shumway says:
shwonline says:
I can't BELIEVE I'm the only one to catch this:  Two of Desmond's letters show up in the "snow globe" at the end.  Check especially the shot of the computer with all the IP information on it.  One of the envelopes is on prominent display next to the terminal.
Posted: Today at 03:18:01 pm

Wow, this appears to be a nice catch.

And, this "snow globe" thing has got me thinking since Des mentioned "we're all living in a snow globe" during his drunken stuppor ( I think it was to Claire ?)
Posted: Today at 04:44:35 pm
[/quote]

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
Re: Living in a Snow Globe
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 12:56:29 PM »
I thought the snow globe statement was a reference to the ending of St Elsewhere.  This was a 80's hospital based drama on NBC that lasted for maybe 5 seasons.  The surprise ending on the final episode was a pan out of the hospital in a snowstorm to an autistic kid picking up a snow globe and reshaking it.... meaning that everything we had watches for all the seasons was just a made up story in the mind of a child.

My favorite suprise ending was the Bob Newhart Show (New England Innkeeper) waking up and telling his wife about his wild dream.  she turns the light on and reveals she is Suzanne Plechette - his wife in the Bob Newhart Show(Chicago Psychologist).  The second show was all a dream.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 07:34:41 PM »
Ithought so too lostfromthestart soI added  it to homages forum about the snow globe.No series finale will ever ever top Bob Newhart's one.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 07:41:32 PM »
Ithought so too lostfromthestart soI added  it to homages forum about the snow globe.No series finale will ever ever top Bob Newhart's one.

Evah!  ;D

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:05:14 AM »
One of the best things was that is was not disclosed beforehand, so the viewers were all surprised.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 01:28:14 PM »
best kept secret and yet to be topped,ever.

Offline HCRhino

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 11:13:12 PM »
Don't you think the snow globe reference was toward the un-escapable enviroment of the island?  Now it's obvious that there is only one point on the compass that will allow someone to leave (that given to Michael) or is there?

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 10:38:01 PM »
Don't you think the snow globe reference was toward the un-escapable enviroment of the island?  Now it's obvious that there is only one point on the compass that will allow someone to leave (that given to Michael) or is there?

hmm try hollow Earth Theory in lost spoliers and speculations

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 05:58:50 PM »
I'm convinced snowglobe is reference to St. Elsewhere.

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 05:06:00 AM »

I still like my idea that the compass is a "moral compass."  If you blew your chance to be a decent human being on the Island, your life will either end or it'll become a sh!t sandwich.  Perhaps that's why Locke gave it away to begin with?

Just my 2 cents on the compass idea.

cheers
*Des8

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 03:48:40 PM »
I'm convinced snowglobe is reference to St. Elsewhere.
So am I

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 04:37:47 PM »
St. Elsewhere it is.

Offline HCRhino

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 04:21:23 PM »
Michael was given coordinates by which to set sail...not really a moral interipation but rather the bearings needed to physically escape the island.  Desmond couldn't get out because he didn't have the heading.  "You can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave..."

Offline bobfay

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2006, 03:36:10 AM »
I don't take Desmond's "living in a snow globe" commemt to be a reference to an inescapable environment/hollow earth phenomena.  I thought it meant more that the losties actions were being observed, and to some extent controlled, by an outside influence.  Hanso, Dharma, whatever.  Like Tommy with the snow globe on St. Elsewhere (all that kid ever said was "Tommy hungry",  God he annoyed me) somebody outside is shaking things up, sitting back and watching what happens. 

Des could just as easily have said "We're all living in a fish bowl."  Come to think of it, somebody does drop in food from time to time.  Now if we could only get them to clean the algae off the inside of the tank evey once in a while.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 12:52:21 PM »
Very interesting second take on things, Redeemer.  Like so many of the lines on LOST, there ar emultiple interpretations possible.  Though I'll say it again, I don't think it was a reference to St. Elsewhere personally.  :)  The snowglobe on St. E in itself was a reference, I think, to an even bigger cultural icon--Citizen Kane, which is also a story about characters that feel trapped by their circumstances and struggle to find identity, and the snowglobe that is dropped is one of the most memorable scenes in film history. 

Also (I'm going to leave this outside of spoiler tags since we are in a spoiler forum)... in the webmaze The Lost Experience, there is a brief mention of a mail folder by "OWelles"... Orson Welles directed Citizen Kane, and I think it was a shoutout mention by the writers.