Author Topic: The Dock?  (Read 3619 times)

Offline ChrisB4290

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
The Dock?
« on: May 26, 2006, 06:25:42 PM »
I just thought abou this...

When the Others were taking Sawyer, Kate and Jack hostage, they were on a dock. How did the dock get there? Did they build it or was it already there... probally the same reason as to why they got a boat huh?

Offline psychoag98

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Dock?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 06:26:49 PM »
I don't know much about boating, but is that a dock for a large ship or a dock for a small ship, but with a really long pier?

Offline sam_i_am

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 06:29:24 PM »
I can't belive i never clued into that. If that's where the dock is, does that mean "The Other's" camp is near by? Deep man. Deep.

Offline LostGirlDeb

• Dharma VIP
  • Live Together Die Alone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 08:49:36 PM »
I can't belive i never clued into that. If that's where the dock is, does that mean "The Other's" camp is near by? Deep man. Deep.
The other's camp is underwater I beleive... ::)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 12:33:36 AM »
That was a big dock. It looked capable of servicing large ships. Delivaries?

Offline theory

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 02:32:40 AM »

It was the Pala Dock, which is mentioned in 2nd orientation video (http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Pearl_Orientation_Video). It has probably been there for a while since the DHARMA Initiative built it. The orientation video says that a Pala ferry would pick up Dharma members and bring them to the "village" after their time was up in the pearl.

Offline sam_i_am

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 09:02:16 AM »

The orientation video says that a Pala ferry would pick up Dharma members and bring them to the "village" after their time was up in the pearl.

I think what was said in the orientation video was "The Pala Ferry will bring you back to the barracks to prepare for our next...........And it just left off there.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 03:12:25 AM »
There must be an occupied island somewhere off the dock. Maybe the exact directions they sent Michael and Walt.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 05:52:06 PM »
Hey look at that picture again.. Does anyone else think that the rain shelter (or whatever it is) on the dock is pretty big for two pearl stationers.  Maybe the rest of the hatches had people coming back to get ferried also. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 05:56:29 PM by jules778 »

Offline Donolis

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Pala Ferry
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 06:59:58 PM »
Why would "the others" need to label their own dock to know where a boat is going? The name of the ferry line was "pala ferry" my question is do they have other ferry stations on the island besides this one? I beleive that their camp is just a ruse, they must have a different camp that is not on the island or even just adjacent to the island. Also to quote Dr. Mark (candle) Wickman from the Pearl orientation video "At the end of your 8-hour shift, proceed to the pala ferry, which will take you back to the barracks" maybe the others are those people that worked in the pearl station. This would explain why they know so much and consider themselves the good guys. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 07:22:51 PM by Donolis »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Pala Ferry
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 07:28:54 PM »
Or do they have numerous docks. Like a delivery dock so it is label so only the Pala Ferry shows up?

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 08:55:33 PM »
don:  Merging this with the other dock thread, but please keep discussing the topic...

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 01:39:55 AM »
Something kind of interesting
I looked up Pala through MSN encyclopidia and it gave me Pala Dynasty
So I looked it up on wikipedia  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pala_dynasty

and this just kind of popped out at me

Dharmapala (770-781)   the second ruler of the empire

Maybe it is something maybe it is nothing

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 10:23:44 AM »
I don't know much about boating, but is that a dock for a large ship or a dock for a small ship, but with a really long pier?

When you look at the water next to the dock it is brighter in color (because of the shallow water and white sand)  It is a long dock but to take large shipments from freighter boats there has to be a natural or man made port that is very very deep.  The dock may be long but not long enough for something the size of a cruise ship.  Could be a medium sized boat though.

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 04:17:09 PM »
A ferry is generally a boat that transports people or vehicles across a body of water and operates on a regular schedule and I know the ferries we have on the Mississippi have little draft but are only used for short distances.  Think the Staten Island Ferry, the Lake Champlain Ferry.  So presumably:

1.  The ferry could dock in shallow water
2.  The ferry doesn't travel too far (subjective, the ferry to Beaver Island, MI takes 2 hours)