Author Topic: "The Other's" Sleeping Darts.  (Read 2328 times)

Offline sam_i_am

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
"The Other's" Sleeping Darts.
« on: May 26, 2006, 05:45:19 PM »
Ok. Maybe I am the only one thinking this, but how did the others get sleeping darts? Please reply if you have any ideas, because I am lost.

Offline psychoag98

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "The Other's" Sleeping Darts.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 06:07:15 PM »
Those were some odd darts.  Did they work like a taser?  If so, without wires, were they powered by small batteries?  I thought I heard an electric sound, but maybe they were just neurotoxins.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 06:45:06 PM »
Hey, I think they are just primitive medicated darts... I thought it was a neurotoxin as well that they were trying to portray.  There's a number of natural neurotoxins that can be obtained from plants and animals.  In fact there are native indians in South America that used poison dart frogs for this purpose, and that's why they were given that name.

Offline goober

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 07:29:42 PM »
Right-O Pandora.

Several natural toxins available on an Island I'm sure. Curare comes from plants like Strychnos toxifera. Mushrooms give us Muscarine, Psilocybin, etc. Ouabain is a plant poison that can stop the heart in large enough doses. Atropine comes from nightshade... and on and on and on. Strichnine, Ricin, blahblahblah.......

My favorites are Saxitotoxin (which you may have heard of as RED TIDE... It comes from infected shellfish) and Tetrodotoxin (the neurotoxin found in Japanese pufferfish or Fugu). Both very deadly at miniscule concentrations.

Nature has lots of cool stuff  :o

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 08:16:22 PM »
Great detailed answer, goober, you sound like a toxicologist! Remind me not to go mushroom picking with you if you're mad at me! :)

My favorite is ricin.  But it does lead me to question if it's normal to have a favorite toxin...lol

Offline validkeys

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 10:32:12 AM »
hey guys, I watched the episode again last night and cranked the volume when Jack, Kate and Sawyer get hit with darts. You can actually hear the sound of the darts electrocuting them. Its actually very clear. It must be some kind of wireless remote that they are using to trigger the electrocution.

Offline WhatThe

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 01:05:36 PM »
Um, they have washers and dryers, too lol...I'm pretty sure they have access to all sorts of things that wouldn't be found naturally on the island.  :)

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 10:57:23 PM »
They have a complete medical hatch for giving birth,and the abiltyt to take it own,they have computers, blast doors, NEW washer and dryers, food drops, ferry sytem, oh  the list goes on and on , rifles guns, why not have poision darts?