Author Topic: Desmond's letters in the "snow globe"  (Read 13300 times)

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond's letters in the "snow globe"
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 12:19:36 PM »
I thought it might help to get a screencap of the ones that he took out of the box whilst in the car for comparison purposes. Also, I was interested to see what Penny's address was but it looks quite normal to me. Also, when he opened up the book, I'm sure more than one letter fell out but he only picked the one up that he then read. Anybody else notice that?

One thing I notices looking at these... the return address vs. the addressee... the "8" has been wrotten two different ways.  One as two circles utop each other, and the other is a sigle stroke 'figure-8'.  The two's in each could be different as well, one look lazier than the other, and the pen stroke starts at a different angle... that one is a stretch though.  The "d"' s however are pretty close with the loopback on the tail (also a single stroke).  I am way oversanylzing but I am just trying to figure out why there would be blank adressee's on the letters in the 'snowglobe'.

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 01:03:02 PM »
Very good point on the 8's there AmazonMonkey, I hadn't noticed that.

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 05:25:42 PM »
One thing I notices looking at these... the return address vs. the addressee... the "8" has been wrotten two different ways.  One as two circles utop each other, and the other is a sigle stroke 'figure-8'.  .

I don't know if it matters but I do this myself quite often.  I will write the eights both ways.  I will also write my two's differently also... some look like a 2 and other have the loopy cursive type two.  Maybe I am weird.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 05:27:43 PM by jules778 »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 05:31:31 PM »
No idea why those letters would be there. How do they help in their search for desmond? Strange detail. I don't think it is by mistake/.

Offline FJSchorr2

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 10:05:19 PM »
No idea why those letters would be there. How do they help in their search for desmond? Strange detail. I don't think it is by mistake/.

I'm not reading so much into the difference in handwriting between the return address and the mailing address.  I can see the production staff having to hand-address a hundred or so letters, and splitting the task up among several staffers.  Maybe one staffer did all the return addresses and another did the mailing addresses.

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, but after Desmond came out of prison, when Penelope's father showed Desmond the box of Desmond's letters that were never delivered, I seem to remember Desmond rifiling through several banded groups of letters.  When the letters were rifled through, only the return addresses were visible.

So I wonder if the mailing addresses never got hand-written on the letters that Desmond rifled through.  Maybe one of those letters (without the mailing address) were used by mistake in the production.  I know this explanation isn't exciting, though...

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 10:23:25 PM »

I'm not reading so much into the difference in handwriting between the return address and the mailing address.  I can see the production staff having to hand-address a hundred or so letters, and splitting the task up among several staffers.  Maybe one staffer did all the return addresses and another did the mailing addresses.

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, but after Desmond came out of prison, when Penelope's father showed Desmond the box of Desmond's letters that were never delivered, I seem to remember Desmond rifiling through several banded groups of letters.  When the letters were rifled through, only the return addresses were visible.

So I wonder if the mailing addresses never got hand-written on the letters that Desmond rifled through.  Maybe one of those letters (without the mailing address) were used by mistake in the production.  I know this explanation isn't exciting, though...

Just my luck your exactly right ;)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 12:10:04 AM »
I just rewatched it and it shows penelope name and address on it.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2006, 12:17:31 AM »
I just rewatched it and it shows penelope name and address on it.

so why is it missing in the screenshot above.  Strange.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2006, 12:20:10 AM »
What am I missing. THe screen cap above shows them. Are we talking about 2 different things?

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 12:21:40 AM »
What am I missing. THe screen cap above shows them. Are we talking about 2 different things?

Methinks that is the case.  I was talking about the letters next to the email termincal in the snow globe.  You I think are talking about the letters Charles Widmore keeps in his box. No? 

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 12:24:00 AM »
That is correct. I thought you said when the des looked at them in the car with widmore they did not have them on. Sorry for my misunderstanding

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 12:27:18 AM »
That is correct. I thought you said when the des looked at them in the car with widmore they did not have them on. Sorry for my misunderstanding

Ahhh, yeah FJ said that.  I think it was meant that only the top letter in each bundle was truly visible, so there could have been blank ones that were used by mistake (if they existed).  Although this woud be yet another prop screw up and if it were true would cause me to buy ABC so I could fire the prop crew for LOST since they seem to pruposefully screw with continuity to make people like me cry and ask for my mommy.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 12:29:51 AM »
Plus you could get the script and find out all the answers to the mysteries and put them in the  spoiler section.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 03:14:00 AM »

Ahhh, yeah FJ said that.  I think it was meant that only the top letter in each bundle was truly visible, so there could have been blank ones that were used by mistake (if they existed).  Although this woud be yet another prop screw up and if it were true would cause me to buy ABC so I could fire the prop crew for LOST since they seem to pruposefully screw with continuity to make people like me cry and ask for my mommy.
If it isa continuity errorplease post it incontinuity errors forum so we can all look at one glance mistakes producers made.
Good screen capPLP No Ididn'tnotice he took one and read it. Penny must have gotten them,maybe dear ole Daddy is deadand she found them,went to visit the snowglobe  and brought some with her to read to feel closer to him.

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 06:31:45 AM »

If it isa continuity errorplease post it incontinuity errors forum so we can all look at one glance mistakes producers made.
Good screen capPLP No Ididn'tnotice he took one and read it. Penny must have gotten them,maybe dear ole Daddy is deadand she found them,went to visit the snowglobe  and brought some with her to read to feel closer to him.

That's a very good point GJ, maybe it's not far from wherever she is living and she often visits there and has lots of her stuff there...?