Author Topic: "the look"  (Read 29448 times)

Offline Desmond8MyPopRocks

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
"the look"
« on: May 26, 2006, 04:09:32 AM »
Hey Lostie Fans:

Is it just me, or at the end when Jack and Kate give eachother "the look" it is one of understanding, not of "I love you" as others have speculated.  It was a "mission accomplished" look... sorry for that MA reference..  but Sawyer definitely saw it and he looked pissed off--it was right before the hoods were put on at marker 81 mins I think.

Were jack and Kate "Bad Twins?"  They each looked smug, as if they'd accomplished something, not as if they were nodding in a friendly or even loving fashion before heading off to who knows where.

I think *this* will be the key that blows our minds in S3E1.

Why isn't anybody talking about this?  It was so obvious.
thoughts?
*Des8
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 04:11:30 AM by Desmond8MyPopRocks »

Offline ukslim

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: "the look"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 07:25:42 AM »
Jack said he had a plan. Maybe he didn't mean the half-arsed Sayid-lights-a-fire plan.

So maybe the nods meant "execute the plan NOW"... meaning it'll be one of the first things to happen in the next series.

Maybe.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 09:15:33 AM »
Jack said he had a plan. Maybe he didn't mean the half-arsed Sayid-lights-a-fire plan.

So maybe the nods meant "execute the plan NOW"... meaning it'll be one of the first things to happen in the next series.

Maybe.

I really agree with what ukslim said.  I think they were trying to communicate that they had a Plan B.  If you watch the scene again, Kate blinks very slowly and deliberately at the end, not your typical blink.  I was thinking that might be a signal for something.  Just wait 4 months to find out!  Argh!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 12:46:38 AM »
So saywer is either not included in the plan or not a fan of the plan. It was not a loving eye blink.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 03:43:18 AM »
I agree with jugdish Sawyer seemed really puzzled by the look.He didn't give any look back other than a dirty one.

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 03:45:26 AM »
I agree with jugdish Sawyer seemed really puzzled by the look.He didn't give any look back other than a dirty one.

hehe...

i can't wait for jack to get closer to kate (if this happens)

then we get a "one for you, one for me" type of deal going on...

either that or sawyer gets her and jack gets REAL depressed

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 03:52:36 AM »
It's an interesting triangle has been and now all three stuck together the possibilities of how the characters will interact and "get along". Kate being the mediator.

Offline sam_i_am

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 09:35:12 AM »
My guess is that Kate and Jack saw Sayid or were expecting him to find them, and the look was kind of like "Ya, I saw him too".

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 03:23:36 PM »
but some say he was back on the boat

Offline FallenAngel

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 04:58:24 PM »
If they made a new plan I wonder if Hurley might have had a part of it. Because he seemed like he didn't want to leave them behind and he asked "And my friends?" (that could also be a natural thing). Micheal asked them the same thing... hmmm...

Offline Yaggleberry Finn

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 09:56:48 PM »
I'm going to go against the grain here and say they didn't have any Plan B.  As far as Kate, Sawyer and Hurley were concerned, there wasn't even a Plan A!  Jack's plan was Sayid's plan - let Sayid scout the beach and then rejoin him and go in with some intel.  Seeing as how they have no idea where they're going or what is going to happen to them, I think it was Kate's way of saying, "I love you" (or something close) to Jack.  And I think that's exactly what Sawyer thought she meant.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 10:02:23 PM »
You could have a valid point would explain Sawyer's dirty look back.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 10:08:40 PM »

Yeah I got a "one for yes two for no" vibe, and the nod was a "if we make it out of this will you "get caught in a net" with me?

I definately think there was somethign paramount we missed, as in them coming up with something after confronting Michael in the woods.

I guess well have to wait and see.

Offline a_dot_out

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 11:13:55 PM »
I'm going to go against the grain here and say they didn't have any Plan B.  As far as Kate, Sawyer and Hurley were concerned, there wasn't even a Plan A!  Jack's plan was Sayid's plan - let Sayid scout the beach and then rejoin him and go in with some intel.  Seeing as how they have no idea where they're going or what is going to happen to them, I think it was Kate's way of saying, "I love you" (or something close) to Jack.  And I think that's exactly what Sawyer thought she meant.
You could have a valid point would explain Sawyer's dirty look back.
I just re-watched this scene a few times and I am confident Jack's and Kate's exchange was not motivated by romance or love in any way.

To set the stage...

Hurley: What about my friends?

Fenry: Your friends are coming home with us.

All Jack, Kate, and Sawyer look up with more of a possible look of interest and/or intrigue.

This is followed by an exchange of looks between Hurley and Jack. Hurley looks to Jack with a look of worry and/or puzzlement, perhaps a "What should I do" look. Jack gives him a reassuring nod to go back to camp. I think Jack wants things to keep progressing in the manor they are.

Now Michael and the boat drive away, more looks exchanged.

Finally we get to the big exchange between Jack, Kate, and Sawyer.

Jack appears to entertain a thought to himself.

Kate looks to Jack for reassurance. This could be related to "The Plan".

Jack's returning "look" was a look of reassurance that everything is still okay and possibly going according to plan or even better than they had hoped. Kate acknowledged, possibly taking a deep breath preparing herself for what was about to happen, the blink was she was on the wagon, ready to follow Jack’s lead. Followed by Sawyer's acknowledgement. Sawyer's "look" appeared to be more of an intense "let's do this" look, or even slight puzzlement with regards to The Plan, but ready to do what was necessary.

The writers would be making a poor decision to have that entire exchange of looks consist solely of looks of love and jealousy. Although it has been established there is some romantic tension triangulating between the three, at this point in time they have bigger fish to fry.

Perhaps they WANT to be taken. Perhaps Sayid is in the vicinity and plans to trail behind and uncover as much as possible. Perhaps Jack wants himself, Kate, and Sawyer to infiltrate from the inside out. It will really depend on how tight the Others keep their noose.

Offline ChrisB4290

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 12:57:49 AM »
He nodded his head to ensure that everything was going smoothly.