Author Topic: Drawing the Map  (Read 2577 times)

Offline CirsR

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Drawing the Map
« on: May 25, 2006, 09:47:06 PM »
I was dissapointed to find out how the Blast Door Map was drawn, not very believable at all. There's no way anyone could draw the map as well as it was drawn without being able to see it. Pretty stupid

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Drawing the Map
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 09:49:08 PM »
I am not convinced that Kelvin was actually drawing on the door. I think that Kelvin and the guy before him did but Kelvin was just tricking Desmond in thinking he was exploring the island when he was really fixing the boat.

Offline Point Place WI

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:55:17 PM »
Good point Jugdish, I don't believe Kelvin/Joe either, I don't believe his partner Brazinski or whatever shot himself and left a brown stain....clean that  up Kelvin.  Gross brains on the ceiling just chillen
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 10:50:33 PM by mollyh »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:56:59 PM »
I would at least remove the tile.

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 09:58:20 PM »
Song game race you....then you can show up Olly

Offline Jonny_BB

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 10:01:13 AM »
I don't beleive Kelvin was painting properly either.  Why would he have UV paint anyway (serious question)?  My guess is the painting was a big setup for a phsycological experiment.  It seems stupid to create a map that you can't see to reference!

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 10:36:41 AM »
Actually, it's laundry detergent, and this is a real phenomenon, I was saying in another thread that we used to do it for fun in this lab I used to work at.   The phosphates in the detergent make it glow under UV lights (black light is a sort of UV).  You can actually do this... you can see a very faint outline under normal lights, though I don't think it would allow you to paint in detail without overlapping and messing up much, even with a "photographic memory" as Radzinsky had.  One theory I had was that the UV may have served a practical purpose in this station that was marked "quarantine"; since UV can also be used for germicidal sterilization; and maybe Radzinsky/Kelvin were just taking advantage of this property that was already there.

Offline Warren

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 01:12:44 PM »
Detergent works as something invisible that only shows up on black light, I know that for a fact.  But it is usually only shows up as white, and the blast door map was in both blue and orange.  You almost have to have different colored highlighters to get different colors.  Maybe they were trying to make it seem like the colors could be made with Kelvin "mixing up" his paint mixture, but if you do that with detergent, it makes it glow fainter.

Poorly designed way to show us how the map was made, with a little basis on fact.  I doubt we ever see the blast door map again though.

Offline psychoag98

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »
One theory I had was that the UV may have served a practical purpose in this station that was marked "quarantine"; since UV can also be used for germicidal sterilization; and maybe Radzinsky/Kelvin were just taking advantage of this property that was already there.

Very interesting.  I have long been confused by the lockdown, but I will start another thread on that.  Why wasn't the black light on when he hot wired the lockdown?

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 07:58:12 PM »
One theory I had was that the UV may have served a practical purpose in this station that was marked "quarantine"; since UV can also be used for germicidal sterilization; and maybe Radzinsky/Kelvin were just taking advantage of this property that was already there.

Very interesting.  I have long been confused by the lockdown, but I will start another thread on that.  Why wasn't the black light on when he hot wired the lockdown?

And beyond that, why wasn't the black light on while he was painting? That would make sense, no? That way he could see what he was painting and not paint on top of something else.

Offline BzzyBee

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 08:38:56 PM »
I love this site!  And here's my first post:

I wondered too wondered why Kelvin just didn't turn on the UV light to paint the map - but then I realized that if he had, then Desmond would have known that they weren't the only hatch on the island. Kelvin kept Desmond under control by telling him that there was nothing outside but hostiles and disease.  There's no way Desmond would have stayed in the hatch as long as he did had he known that there were other hatches on the island.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 12:44:28 AM »
There isanohter topic just like this one what happened with the black lights.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 12:46:17 AM »
Gj trying to clean up the threads I love it. You go sista

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 01:36:47 AM »
NO I'mtrying to catch up page three is all"new"threads.