Author Topic: The canisters and the notebooks...  (Read 15533 times)

Offline psychoag98

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The canisters and the notebooks...
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 11:04:05 PM »
HAHAHA!!  That's a great point, Amazon.  I'm guessing there is a writer oversight on this one and not that it is a clue, but a great point nonetheless...

scrod

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 11:32:05 PM »

Maybe someone already said this, but those tube systems work on vaccum and to create the vaccum it has to be a sealed (air tight) system.  The tube that came out if the ground was open ended and therefore would not be a vaccum.  I am either being too anal or someone didn't do their homework.  
One of my great frustrations is the seemingly sloppy attention to basic laws of physics, medicine et al.  I mean I will voluntarily suspend belief for weird stuff (like a plane breaking up at 40,000 feet and lots of people surviving) but some of this other stuff makes no sense.

If it came out of the side of a cliff, at least you could assume gravity made them drop past the suction point, but nto the case here.

Offline eYeBall

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 12:44:03 AM »
I looked at a screen shot from the episode and found that the tube is sealed on the end.

Clickie
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 12:45:39 AM by eYeBall »

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 12:54:07 AM »
I looked at a screen shot from the episode and found that the tube is sealed on the end.

Clickie

nice find! I wouldn't necessarily say "sealed" though... maybe it's lightly hinged in a way that it closes back after something passes through it???

Offline andersinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 05:55:14 AM »
I think that either the Hanso foundation have either taken a huge risk and messed it up big time (they are only human) or theres something else at work. No-one in there right mind would set up a incredibly important station that potentially affects every living thing on the island (or the world but we dont know that) and then set up another one that says its not important! If id found the pearl hatch and saw the video i would have stopped pushing the button, iv just been told what i do is not important (even though it is) im not gonna carry on!

Offline ragedBR

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 11:40:59 AM »
Hmmm, when I first watched the final episode I thought that the canisters were dumped in the right place, but there wasn't anyone there anymore to collect them and read them. Maybe the so called "headquarters" got blown up or it was a "mobile" station. I didn't think that either station were just for psychological experiment...

But if you really look it, there were LOTS of cannisters, years worth of them, so it's possible that the notebooks served no purpose, as the station #2 had no purpose either.

Offline sam_i_am

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 12:22:49 PM »
I don'tknow if I'm being to harsh about this or something... but there is no way there were 34 years worth of canisters there. If they filled those books with every single thing they saw, they'd fill up a book in less then a week. 52 books a year means 1178 note books (give or take a couple, becuase we know Dharma hasn't been running for some time (I'll say 3-8 years, from what we know of Desmond and Kelvin). After the subtraction, that's 762 books, which still seems like too many. I don't know. If someone could get me a screen shot of the pile of canisters, that would be great.

Offline ragedBR

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 12:32:07 PM »
Before the plane crash, the swan station would have only one or two inhabitants, which means there isn't that much stuff to record.
I would think they'd fill like a notebook per month.. The pile of canisters were huge, there are screenshots going around on the boards, I would think that they could have there at least 10-20years worth of canisters and notebooks.

Offline sam_i_am

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 01:14:08 PM »
Maybe Dharma did pick note books up. I remember something on the blast doors about "Every 6 - 8 months". Now i know the general theory is this meant food drops, but what if, at some point, this is when Dharma came to collect anything? Just a thought.

Offline FallenAngel

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 05:14:07 PM »
What I myself am curious about is who was in the pearl watching them and what ever happened to them?

Offline Bones

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 06:04:24 PM »
52 books a year means 1178 note books (give or take a couple, becuase we know Dharma hasn't been running for some time (I'll say 3-8 years, from what we know of Desmond and Kelvin). After the subtraction, that's 762 books, which still seems like too many.

The producers said the cigarette on the tray was smoking.  So even if Dharma hasn't been working...someone was there.

Andersinlost - I agree about the pearl station.  I would totally have stopped pushing the button too.  Maybe Dharma isn't so concerned with public safety and is more concerned with human responses to stimuli...even if those responses amount to murder (Michael) and huge EM catastrophes.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 08:36:28 PM »
52 books a year means 1178 note books (give or take a couple, becuase we know Dharma hasn't been running for some time (I'll say 3-8 years, from what we know of Desmond and Kelvin). After the subtraction, that's 762 books, which still seems like too many.

The producers said the cigarette on the tray was smoking.  So even if Dharma hasn't been working...someone was there.

Andersinlost - I agree about the pearl station.  I would totally have stopped pushing the button too.  Maybe Dharma isn't so concerned with public safety and is more concerned with human responses to stimuli...even if those responses amount to murder (Michael) and huge EM catastrophes.

Not to mention that hatch was locked from the outside... so clearly there are other ways to to in and out of that hatch.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 03:00:59 AM »
You are assuming that the person smoking the cig was there at the same "time" as eko and locke. Oh sorry was not suppose to mention time manipulation. (it would explain how if there was no other door)

Offline Maxor127

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 03:58:16 AM »
I'm having a hard time accepting any theories about the Pearl hatch and the cannisters.  It doesn't make any sense to have a fake experiment in a hidden hatch covered by a question mark.  And the cannisters get sent to nowhere and somehow the hatch gets refilled with cannisters instead of using the old ones.  I mean, if it were an experiment, wouldn't they still want to study what people are writing down and wouldn't they at least have some cost-effective dispenser instead of dumping them in the middle of nowhere?  They're going to have a hard time explaining this one.  If it was an experiment and the cannisters did go somewhere at some point, then why was the site moved or destroyed and why weren't whoever was in the hatch notified?  That's another thing... they don't have phones on the island in these Dharma hatches?  And how does a computer survive in an area of such erratic and strong magnetism?

Offline sam_i_am

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 11:30:28 AM »
Here's my question about the Pearl. Why were there cameras inside of it? Who was watching them?