Author Topic: What did one snowman say to the other snowman?  (Read 2531 times)

Offline AlwaysLOST4ever

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
What did one snowman say to the other snowman?
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:55:05 PM »
I've been scanning this board, other boards, and even "googled" it, but can't find an answer to my question (about this question):

When Kelvin first takes Desmond from the beach, he asks him "What did one snowman say to the other snowman?" but Desmond didn't know what he was talking about.

In the "Adrift" episode of Season 1 -

DESMOND: What did one snowman say to the other snowman?
LOCKE: I don't know what you're talking about.

So, in the Season 2 finale, why does Locke walk up to Desmond on the beach like they're old friends, and ask him the same question, which Desmond immediately answers and Locke smiles as if he was expecting that answer?

Presumably Desmond learned the answer from Kelvin.  But, how did Locke learn it?  Did I miss something?

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
Re: What did one snowman say to the other snowman?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 04:57:41 PM »
ALways:  I don't think Locke was expecting that particular answer, he just wanted to know the answer (as many of us did, since this has been bugging me, too :)).  When Desmond first asked it, he was testing Locke to see if he knew the password; when Locke asked it, I think he genuinely wanted to know, and just thought the answer was funny (I did too).

Offline XeroRestraint

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 04:59:10 PM »
Locke didn't know the answer to the snowman question.  He was asking Desmond to tell him the answer.

Offline AlwaysLOST4ever

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 05:10:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

One thing I did learn as I was hunting around is that "The 'What did the one snowman say to the other snowman' joke was told in the first season. Various versions differ as to who told the joke, and to whom. Usually they name Hurley, Walt, Michael and Locke as either the joke teller or tellee."

For instance:

Hurley told the joke when he and Charlie were walking through the woods... Hurley said "What did one Snowman say to the other Snowman?" And Charlie was kinda distracted looking like he wasn't really paying attention, and he said "eh?"  And Hurley said "Freeze".

I didn't remember that any version of the joke had been said before.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 05:34:47 PM »
My wife says, "Smells like carrots..."

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 06:03:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

One thing I did learn as I was hunting around is that "The 'What did the one snowman say to the other snowman' joke was told in the first season. Various versions differ as to who told the joke, and to whom. Usually they name Hurley, Walt, Michael and Locke as either the joke teller or tellee."

For instance:

Hurley told the joke when he and Charlie were walking through the woods... Hurley said "What did one Snowman say to the other Snowman?" And Charlie was kinda distracted looking like he wasn't really paying attention, and he said "eh?"  And Hurley said "Freeze".

I didn't remember that any version of the joke had been said before.

I don't this is true, Always... someone may be pulling your leg.  I don't recall it in any S1 episode, so I did a thorough search of the S1 & S2 scripts for keywords "snowman" "snow" and "freeze".  Nothing came up (pertaining to the joke) except for Adrift S2E02 (when Desmond first asks Locke) and this most recent episode. 

Offline AlwaysLOST4ever

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 07:07:04 PM »
Pandora,

It looks like you’re right, and I misread the web page where I found the reference:

http://lostpedia.com/wiki/Persistent_rumors

I guess the point was that someone offered up that occurrence and an episode to support it couldn’t be found.

Oops.

Thanks for setting me straight.

By the way, I LOVE your signature graphic about purgatory and a kitten.  LOL

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 07:42:14 PM »
Don't worry bout it, happens, and good job doing a search to find out where the myth started!  I know the snowman joke in itself is pretty popular, and there are lots of potential punchlines for it.

Yeah, it's tough sometimes... on the internet, a lot of rumors start with almost no support, but still spread like wildfire.

Re sig pic, thanks!  :)

Offline Point Place WI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 07:59:19 PM »
I posted a question in live together die alone thread that more or less answered what I was getting at here.  It was how I interpreted Desmond and Locke and Kelvin/Joe's PASSWORD joke if you want to call it that.  Thanks Pandora 

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 08:15:28 PM »
I always thought the joke the nurse told Michael was about thepnequin  the snowman joke was new to me last night,but was fitting from what Henry said to Locke that no even God could find the island.And it was sort of an homage to St.Elsewhere and their sereis finale of the whole show taking palce in an autistic kid's snowglobe and his imagination.There were a lot of homages to Planet of The Apes last night too(the original).