Author Topic: Desmond's Boat Race  (Read 11806 times)

Offline abaymomma

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Desmond's Boat Race
« on: May 25, 2006, 03:14:53 PM »
Does anyone else think that the boat race that Desmond went on was a huge set up by Widmore to get Des out of Pen's life for good?  The race was sponsored by Widmore and maybe he knew Desmond would enter in order to win and prove that he is worthy of his daughter.  Again, maybe, Widmore banked on that and sent Libby to meet Des and offer her "dead" husbands boat. 

THe question with this line of thinking (and I'm thinking out loud) is how were they sure Desmond's boat would crash on the island?  It was all too convenient that Kelving happened to come onto the beach to take him back to the hatch.  He had to know that Des was coming.  I think this because a plane crashed on the island and Des didn't even know about it.  Thinking I'd notice a plane over a boat crash any day!

Any thoughts?

Offline Syco

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Desmond's Boat Race
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 04:35:14 PM »
This is an AWESOME theory and could explain a lot of things.  Specifically, it would tie Libby in in a way that would make a lot more sense.  First off, it would explain why she GAVE her boat to Desmond.  A rational person doesn't do such a thing, especially when you've just met someone over coffee.  It would also allow the writers to continue to unfold Libby's backstory.  When she died her backstory was left hanging while Ana Lucia's was pretty much finished and more or less understood.  With Libby though, we didn't know who she really was or what the circumstances were surrounding her presence in the Psychiatric Hospital with Hurley.  Perhaps she has been working for Hanso/Widmore all along and is instrumental in nudging some of these people in different directions.  It would also explain Kelvin's presence at just the right time on the beach.

On the other hand, maybe the writers just wanted to kill off Libby because of her DUI.  And Kelvin did mention to Desmond that he had been out there "for some time" before he was found.  Who knows.  Still, I like the theory.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 04:39:11 PM »
Well, as to why it would crash, you could ask why any of the vessels would crash--balloon, Danielle's research ship, Black Rock, and so on.

There's definitely something about the island which causes unique shipwrecks/strandings, and I think Desmond (when he tried to escape) pointed that out when he said he was sailing due West, away from the island, and should have been in Fiji, but ended up right back where he started from.  I think it's along the lines of the whole Bermuda Triangle thing that's been discussed before.

As for the race, to me, that storyline didn't make any sense.  Why someone who had just been bribed to leave Widmore's daughter alone, who would then turn around go on a solo race SPONSORED by said guy... turning down the love of his life, for "honor" just made no sense to me.  If he was a coward and wanted to run away with the bribe, there are easier ways to run away.

Offline XeroRestraint

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 04:57:01 PM »
This is an AWESOME theory and could explain a lot of things.  Specifically, it would tie Libby in in a way that would make a lot more sense.  First off, it would explain why she GAVE her boat to Desmond. 

I agree to the extent that we've seen a lot of "cons" on Lost so far.  I would go further to entertain the possibility that it could be (the other way around) that Des was conning Libby - setting up their "chance" encounter at the coffee shop (already knowing her circumstances in advance) with the sole purpose of playing on her emotional state to "obtain" her boat.

Also, I assume this meeting took place after Libby's stretch in the mental hospital but I haven't seen anything that definitively proves it one way or the other.  I think this could be siginificant if it winds up that either the death of her husband, or (potentially) learning she was conned by Des was the trigger that led to her mental dissarray.

A rational person doesn't do such a thing, especially when you've just met someone over coffee.  It would also allow the writers to continue to unfold Libby's backstory.  When she died her backstory was left hanging while Ana Lucia's was pretty much finished and more or less understood.  With Libby though, we didn't know who she really was or what the circumstances were surrounding her presence in the Psychiatric Hospital with Hurley.  Perhaps she has been working for Hanso/Widmore all along and is instrumental in nudging some of these people in different directions.  It would also explain Kelvin's presence at just the right time on the beach.

On the other hand, maybe the writers just wanted to kill off Libby because of her DUI.  And Kelvin did mention to Desmond that he had been out there "for some time" before he was found.  Who knows.  Still, I like the theory.

I'm pretty certain when the new cast members for season two were announced that both Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros' (Libby) contracts were only for one season so I think Lindehoff & Cuse were planning on killing them both off all along.

Offline Syco

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 05:38:57 PM »
I really don't think that the conversation between Libby and Desmond took place before her stint in the Mental Hospital.  Since the events of the show are taking place in late 2004 their conversation would have happened around early to mid-2001.  I get the impression that Hurley was in the Psych Ward around twelve months to two years prior to the plane crash.

Offline XeroRestraint

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 06:10:50 PM »
I really don't think that the conversation between Libby and Desmond took place before her stint in the Mental Hospital.  Since the events of the show are taking place in late 2004 their conversation would have happened around early to mid-2001.  I get the impression that Hurley was in the Psych Ward around twelve months to two years prior to the plane crash.

So then, based on your premises:

2004 = plane crash / begin real-time on the island

2003-2002 = Hurley's hospitalization

2001 = Libby & Desmond's meeting

Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this validate the possibility that Libby & Desmond met before she (or Hurley) was in the mental hospital? 

In terms of timeline certainty - after last night we now know the exact date of the plane crash (Sept-2004), and we know that Desmond has been on the island for 3+ years (which would more or less make 2001 the latest that he could have still been preparing for the race / trip).  That makes the speculated hospital stint fall nicely between those two events, no?

Offline jules778

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 06:29:25 PM »

I think that the magnet on the island is causing all the wrecks.  Think about it... using a compass it points to a false North,right? So maybe the equipment being used  to help guide each "vehicle" is being thrown off (as  they get w/in a certain range of the magnet), thus throwing them off course.  what do you think?

Offline LOSTgurl

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 06:32:07 PM »
I have a feeling Widmore sent Libby to Desmond and sent Desmond to the Island.  After all, he was in a rainstorm and went inside the boat for cover......... with all the chaos outside, Widmore could have had a tugboat pull Desmond's boat to the Island and he probably would never have known.  How did Desmond even end up on the beach? Was he thrown out of the boat (that had a door to downstairs)?

Did Penelope have an accent? Widmore could be centrally located in Australia and that's why Libby was there.

Offline AlwaysLOST4ever

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 07:37:44 PM »
.......On the other hand, maybe the writers just wanted to kill off Libby because of her DUI. 

I'm pretty certain when the new cast members for season two were announced that both Michelle Rodriguez and Cynthia Watros' (Libby) contracts were only for one season so I think Lindehoff & Cuse were planning on killing them both off all along.

I can't remember where I heard or read it--web site? podcast?--but supposedly Michelle Rodriguez (Ana-Lucia) was hired for just 1 year, but that wasn't the case for Cynthia Watros (Libby).  Her death was added in order to make the audience have more of a sympathetic response than if Michael had only killed Ana-Lucia, who had not endeared herself to viewers.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 08:26:56 PM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this validate the possibility that Libby & Desmond met before she (or Hurley) was in the mental hospital? 

In terms of timeline certainty - after last night we now know the exact date of the plane crash (Sept-2004), and we know that Desmond has been on the island for 3+ years (which would more or less make 2001 the latest that he could have still been preparing for the race / trip).  That makes the speculated hospital stint fall nicely between those two events, no?
Okay first off Iagree Libby is working for Widmore but not a family member of Widmore.If she did have a husband whose name was David, I think the joke was done by the producers to make us think of Hurley's Dave.- red herring.I went through the time line on a commercial break and I came to same conclusion after she gives Desmond the boat, she ends up in the mental ward with Hurley. Desmond never sees her again after she gives him the boat.
Also keep in mind as Jack is running up the steps when Desmond arrives at stadium this is the same timef rame when Jack meets and fixes his future wife whom he later divorces.

Offline Mrs. Charlie Pace

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 01:48:38 AM »
Also keep in mind as Jack is running up the steps when Desmond arrives at stadium this is the same timeframe when Jack meets and fixes his future wife whom he later divorces.

Now...I also noticed that the man pulling up at the stadium as Desmond is preparing to workout looks an awful lot like Jack.  You can really tell as he is walking through the background.  It's almost as if the camera focuses on him for a split second. Who knows how much if any significance this has later...it seems like the writes just like to throw things in there to make us wonder sometimes.

The quote above seems to indicate that maybe Penelope and Sarah are one in the same...but based on a review of the two characters appearance I don't think this is the case...but that's strictly my opinion.

Everyone seems to be looking at Libby as a bad guy in this whole thing, but it seems to me that if she had been a plant (especially in the mental hospital with Hurley) that she would have had a lot more contact with him than what the writers have led us to believe so far.  If she had been close to him there then I would venture to say he would have remembered her.

The final thing I want to throw out there is this...I haven't seen anyone mention the possibility that Desmond is the reason Libby is in the mental hospital.  There seem to be lots of conspiracy theories about Libby, but we don't know the extent of their relationship between the time that they meet and the time that he leaves.  This is not to say that Desmond has forsaken his feelings for Penelope.  However, maybe Libby falls for Desmond during the 8 months before the race and his disappearance with her former husband's boat is what finally pushes her over the edge.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 01:05:08 AM »
No I don't think Libbywas in therebecuase of Desmond(nor to spy on Huley he plays the lottery after he gets out) Widmore supplied the boat,she probably lied.No one  gives a stranger a boat.
BUt the first flashback Desmond isin a good mood pumping jack to believe in the miracle.Yet in finale flashback he just left the love of his lifePenny and was very very down. How and why did he get in such a good mood?

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 01:15:23 AM »
just  a thought on that

he is pumped because he knows she still loves him and he believes he can win her and his honor back
so he is in a very positive frame of mind when he first meets Jack

I could be way off base
it's just a thought

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 01:21:40 AM »
Excelennt point Demra wow 9 to go,go .

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile