Author Topic: Two guys at the arctic station  (Read 7161 times)

Offline HurleyHawk

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Two guys at the arctic station
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 05:45:58 PM »
Yeah I figured they were either in Antarctica or in the Arctic circle, where they could better get readings of magnetic North and South.  I assume an electromagnetic even of this size would surely effect magnetic N and S.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 05:57:23 PM »
Hi Sidd & Welcome! I think the polar bear possible connection is interesting, though I personally think the significance of the arctic location had to do with the unique magnetic properties of the poles.  Going to merge this with the "2 guys at the arctic station" thread, ok.

Offline bobhouse44

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 06:21:38 PM »
I dont think the polar bears had anything to do with the men at the snow station.  the men were probably on Antarctica where they would be able to do research without anyone trying to stop them (penny's father..who i think is the head of darhma already tried to stop desmond from seeing his daughter.  why wouldnt he try to stop her from finding him?).  penny said something along the lines of: if you have enough money and time you can find anybody.  this makes me think she hired them to look for polar irregularities b/c she had some insight as to where desmond might be (since her father may head darhma) or how he was lost.
  black holes in space cant be seen but they can be pinpointed because all matter around them goes towards a certain point. i think the same thing happened here when the button wasnt pushed all surrounding metal objects were being sucked towards the hatch.  the island is probably invisible to the outside but perhaps the men in the snow have devices (buoys) set up in the ocean in to detect certain events such as this.
i know this is far fetched but who knows........

Offline IFilingPoo

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 07:04:22 PM »
WHO CARES WHAT LANGUAGE they speak.
The fact of the matter is that Penny has employed them to find Des.
Simple reason.

The Island cannot be spotted on a map!

The elctromagnetic effect prob makes it seem invisible.

Remember what Fenry told Michael.
"Even if you wanted to come back, you'll never find this island once you leave"

HE KNOWS

He knows this place is an anomoly that cannot be found using the usual methods.

Penny knows about the island but cannot find it, and now she is hoping for a screw up like  NOT PRESSING THE BUTTON to make the island temporarily visble, even if for a moment.

Boris & Natsha may have screwed up 65 days earlier when they could not triangulate the first time the button was not pressed, but this time the screw up was like a beacon saying "WE ARE HERE"
Now she knows where to go.
why?
What is she going to do?
That's for next season

Her Dad prob knows too, and he likes it that way because once you are on the island there really isn't a way out.

The Magnetic current prob screws with your compass or sense of direction.
(Why Fenry told Michael to go on a particular heading using a compass may refute my theory, but it's a valid theory nevertheless because of the magnetic mumbo-jumbo)

Offline tallygirl

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 07:52:54 PM »
Hello, fellow Lost fans!!  My first post here--I was blown away by the finale.  WOW!!  The focus on the snow scene in the last part, to me, went back to the remark by Desmond earlier about this whole thing  being  a giant "snow globe"(words to that effect).  The first snow view looked like a snow globe scene--I think it was the writers being cute with us yet again.  But, I am not as perceptive as many of you are...I just love the show and viewing all of your fascinating postings. 

Offline Z-416175

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 08:33:13 PM »
Hello to all,

This is my first post here, I love this site!

My guess is that this station where the Portuguese-speaking staff are located is somewhere in the Andean mountains of Chile. From here, they'd have the ability to cover a wide swath of the South Pacific, thus being able to detect any magnetic anomalies.

Perhaps the heading that was given to Michael was to a one-way exit, a portal of some kind? Again, I am surmising that perhaps Widmore labs has managed to apply Einstein's "Unified Field Theory" and render the island and vicinity to be "invisible"....a sort of electronic camouflage?? But has not managed to perfect the process entirely. And that begs the question: why not automate the button-pushing??

Seems there is more to be discovered in season three, which I eagerly await!!

Offline mollyh

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 11:15:30 PM »
Welcome tallygirl and Z-416175 feel free to just in the discuss anytime! To be honest at first I was a little disappointed by this scene because it was supposed to be the Challah (top secret scene that wasn't ever written and kept from all cast members that weren't in it - last year's Challah was the abuduction on the raft). Then today I thought about it more and decided it was an important phenomental scene becasue it told us man things like:
1. The rest of the world is still out there
2. Penny knew that Desmond was in place that is magnetic - she knows more than we think
3. Penny didn't get married - she still loves Desmond
4. The effects of button not being pushed can be seen other places in the world not just the island
5. The island is on a physical tangible geological place
6. One of the men looked a EXACTLY like Matthew Fox even though someone else was credited (twin theory anyone?)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 11:30:16 PM »
Moly agree with everyting you just posted excellent. The weakest is the matthew fox look alike. Similar but not positive. It was being shot down aggresively way to stick to your guns and opinions.

Offline FallenAngel

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 01:07:51 AM »
For a second I thought it was Jack too :p. But anyways... on with the post. When screen went black I thought it would be over or a commercial would come up as always so I was screaming thinking "It cant end like this!". Then when I saw the storm I was like "Oh, definatly a commercial" but I had my doubt so I thought Eko and Locke were going to like, come out of the sky. I thought it was very interesting that they had those two people looking for any signs of Desmond (I believe that Penny was looking for him) and how they were like "We almost missed it again." I know that it happened once before (On sept 22nd) but I wonder if maybe it's happened some other time :-\

Offline sam_i_am

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 08:44:25 AM »
I have got an idea here. If you check out this www.hansocareers.com ; (that commercial that aired durring finale) under locations there are two locations that caught my eye...Tanzania and Iceland. We aleady know that Widmore has connections to Hanso so maybe they're co-operating to find something. This might be a bit of an exaderation, but maybe Penny Widmore is looking for Desmond and Hanso is looking for something else on the island (maybe the island itself) because maybe back in civilization, the Dharma Initiative is under speculation by the feds or something. Probably not but it would be a cool twist.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 09:15:44 AM by sam_i_am »

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 09:09:21 AM »
Moly agree with everyting you just posted excellent. The weakest is the matthew fox look alike. Similar but not positive. It was being shot down aggresively way to stick to your guns and opinions.

Oh, I totally agree.  That guy has some *vague* similarity but is without a shadow of a doubt NOT Matthew Fox.  I'm amazed that as many people as do mistake him.  They are played by different actors.  The guy who plays the 2nd arctic man is credited as Len Cordova.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0502653/

Offline eYeBall

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 01:26:20 PM »

I think they had to be at a pole because of the Van allen Belt.  Its what causes the Aurora Borealis. 

Info about Van Allen Belt[ /URL ]

Just a thought.

Offline firemanandlostfan

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 03:20:24 PM »
I will have to watch the show again but what evidence do you have that Penny was looking for Desmond?  They didnt mention we found HIM it just said that we had found the magnetic anomoly. How does magnetic anomoly = Desmond?  That doesnt make an ounce of sense...

Now capsized boat on secluded island by Australia with the name of Elizabeth = Desmond but nothing else IMO

Offline Austruck

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 03:31:26 PM »
I had the similar thought that they were showing the snow and ice for a reason. (They show everything for a reason on this show.)

It would certainly explain the polar bears to think that this island is a lot farther south (closer to a pole), and yet doesn't exhibit the signs of the cold because of its wacky electromagnetic fields that change the climate. But yet, a few polar bears have made it there.

The snow globe theory makes me think immediately of The Truman Show. Or, for those who've played the computer game Uru, it reminds me of Ahnonay. Interesting theories. Not sure they're true, but on this show, all possibilities are, well, possible. The wackier, the better. ;)

Offline psychoag98

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 04:15:46 PM »
Maybe the electromagnetic field did change the climate like the above poster mentioned.  Much like movies were people try to terraform Mars to make it liveable, maybe Dharma/Hanso is trying to find a way to make Antarctic islands habitable, even tropical for tourism sake.

Maybe the island is very close to the south pole, and the magnetic field machine did that.  Notice the compass heading 325 is almost due North.  Now that they have shut it down, the island will begin to return to its natural state and next season we will see snow, and ice begin to develop.