Author Topic: Charlie reaction at the end  (Read 18475 times)

Offline GeoffT

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie reaction at the end
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 02:38:39 PM »
I had a different interpretation...let me know what you think!

Here's what we know:

1. We know that there was an electromagnetic 'incident' at the Swan Station years ago which resulted in monitoring by the Pearl Station and radical changes to Swan Station protocol.
2. We know that Walt was abducted by the Others for his specialness, which the show leads us to believe is tied to telepathic/telekinetic powers (the dead bird and the polar bear in Season 1).
3. Charlie was at ground-zero of an island-wide electromagnetic explosion which was powerful enough to set off alarms in a polar monitoring station (i.e. someplace very far away), yet wasn't harmed in the least.
4. Charlie was completely unconcerned about both the event and the well-being of Locke and Eko.
5. Less than 60 seconds after sitting down with Claire, she does what he's wanted her to do since the plane crashed (i.e. kiss him).

And here's what I'm wondering...could it be that Locke, Eko, Charlie (and maybe Desmond) were subjected to the same 'electromagnetic event' that occurred years ago? One that activated latent psychokinetic abilities in humans? Did Claire kiss Charlie because Charlie wanted it and 'made' it happen unintentionally?

Sounds like a long shot?

Offline Jonny_BB

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 02:45:22 PM »
Sounds too comic book to me.  Charlie is in the middle of a huge explosion which turns him into a super-hero, and the first thing he does with his special powers is make Claire get off with him?  Well I suppose he'd better take advantage of his new found abilities whilst nobody else knows  ;D

Offline GeoffT

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 02:51:24 PM »
Sounds too comic book to me.  Charlie is in the middle of a huge explosion which turns him into a super-hero, and the first thing he does with his special powers is make Claire get off with him?  Well I suppose he'd better take advantage of his new found abilities whilst nobody else knows  ;D

Haha yeah...it is a bit superhero-ish!

Of course, you assume that Charlie knows he was affected. It could be (like it is/might be with Walt) that he's unaware of anything having changed. Claire kissing him isn't something he wanted to happen right then, just the realization of a long-term/subconscious desire.

I hereby dub this the Supercharlie theory. :)

Offline SloHand

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 03:29:36 PM »
I think Charlie is showing signs of advanced 'lost island sickness'. Wasn't Rousseau who said that her crew went crazy/acted wierd and she took them out of their misery? Maybe the way Charlie is acting is the early signs of the sickness? and that the sickness is caused by his high level/ close proximity to the electromagnegtic blast. More sickness will follow.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 09:30:14 PM »
No find my earler thread he's in his dark Charlie mood again just without his Darth Vader hood from his sweat jacket.

Offline Gelotripsy

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 12:20:42 AM »
Maybe Charlie knows (or thinks he knows) that something bad happened to Eko, Locke and Desmond. And he's glad. Less people to boss him around. Plus, do we really think he threw out ALL the heroin? After that type of experience plus a head injury, I would think he's have some serious pain. Maybe he medicated himself.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 02:49:55 AM »
It all seems resonable that he didn't mind leaving Locke (hated) desmond (doesn't know) but he did try to save eko and had a kindered relationship with him. I have a harder time believing that he could shrug off eko, but it is self centered charliey.

Offline V

• Onlooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 06:54:08 AM »
Charlie has always since the beginning of the show wanted to be included in every activity/news/expedition that was going on, and hated the idea of being left out of anything.  He is always saying something along the lines of don't mind me/pretend im not here/no one tells me anything.  He has come from a rock band, albeit one hit wonder, in the shadow of his brother,  had drug issues and is completely rapt in Claire.  The guy has issues, but most improtantly he reacts strongly based on his emotions, which i don't think makes him evil.  Maybe too quick to react and selfcentred.
He did leave Ecko standing, aware that he was ok, so saved himself. 

But i think Locke's comment "they're not my friends" after he locked Ecko out of the hatch, was definitely something that spun me out, even though you knew he was going through a severe question of faith.  Poor guy, he looked so pitiful when he admitted that he was wrong.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 10:51:56 AM »

True, and it was my interpretation that Eko told Charlie he was fine and to get out.  I think you will find that Eko purposefully stayed with Locke, as you said he looked pitiful, but he DID admit he was wrong.  Eko is there for Locke just like Desmond is there for him right now.  This should turn Locke around on the "There not my friends." issue. 

Offline sam_i_am

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 11:26:14 AM »
3. Charlie was at ground-zero of an island-wide electromagnetic explosion which was powerful enough to set off alarms in a polar monitoring station (i.e. someplace very far away), yet wasn't harmed in the least.

I have a question about this. You say that the monitering station shown at the end with the 2 guys in it is "very far away". How do we know this? We have no idea where the island is. The polar station could be right around the bend for all we know! An just for the record: I don't think there was an explosion. My theory is that the white light we saw was the electro-magnetic feild being released. Locke and Eko may still be alive.

Offline AmazonMonkey

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 11:46:59 AM »

I have a question about this. You say that the monitering station shown at the end with the 2 guys in it is "very far away". How do we know this? We have no idea where the island is. The polar station could be right around the bend for all we know! An just for the record: I don't think there was an explosion. My theory is that the white light we saw was the electro-magnetic feild being released. Locke and Eko may still be alive.

If I was looking for the love of my life who was lost at sea, I would do it from somewhere I could everthing and anything at once (one of the poles and since they are megnetically 'polar' this also relates to magnets and magnetism)... ABC doesn't expect everyone to be Rocket Scientiest or Doctoral Graduates in Thermo Nuclear Megnetics so your right we don't "know" but it would make more sense if she is looking for him then it would be strange for it to be right around the ocrner, and a bit coincidental.
BUT it MIGHT be.  Just like they could be in a huge skinner box in the middle of Brooklyn NY.

MAYBE... she itsn't looking for him... Maybe Henry Gale (teh real one) is her finace!  :-P Heh. And she is lookng for him.  (That was a joke).

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 02:36:51 PM »
 We know now for sure from producers podcast- see thread under therioes and specualtions spoilers,- that thye were in artic or antartic, producers purposely said both.They also said this was the first time they did a scene not in flashback that wasn't on the island.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 02:38:47 PM »

Excelent point.But Chalrie or someone else on the island who didn't know what happened should have gone and looked for Eko, Locke and Desmond.

True, and it was my interpretation that Eko told Charlie he was fine and to get out.  I think you will find that Eko purposefully stayed with Locke, as you said he looked pitiful, but he DID admit he was wrong.  Eko is there for Locke just like Desmond is there for him right now.  This should turn Locke around on the "There not my friends." issue. 

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 06:53:36 PM »
yay... crazy cloned charlie has walt powers!

now get him back on the heroin for some truly special effects!

Offline NoraCharles

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 10:19:04 PM »
Charlie has been wacky a lot this season, not just in this finale episode.
Wasn't he the one who 'abducted' Jin Sun?
He's been a sh*t stirrer.
Played off both sides with the gun thing too, didn't he?

He hasn't been right since his Aaron dreamwalking stuff.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 10:22:37 PM by NoraCharles »