Author Topic: So, what does your name mean?  (Read 67908 times)

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
So, what does your name mean?
« on: May 21, 2006, 11:21:29 AM »
I have noticed some brilliant names in here and I'm fascinated to know their meanings. There are some obvious ones (like mine) and some really creative ones - tell us what they mean if you want to...

Offline andersinlost

• Red Shirt
    • View Profile
Re: So, what does your name mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 12:27:35 PM »
Mines really pathetic but my usual name for anything (msn, other forums) is always andersingoal, but seeing as that has no bareing on lost change one word and hey presto!

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 01:41:33 PM »
Mine comes from an episode of Seinfeld. It is suppose to be the Indian (as in India) way of pronouncing Jerry.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 05:03:17 PM »
Mine is in reference to the album Hurley and Charlief ound in the hatch that neither of them ever heard of before.Then Locke was seen holding it one time and staring at it.I still think he put it on the turn table just before the lockdown started.From the producers after I chose the name I found out there is real band they had two albums inthe 70's. I also know their music was played when you called The Hanso number for  the web game. I used to produce Broadway muscials in community and semi pro theatre and then booked bands in The City (San Francisco), San Jose,and Sacramento,so it fit me :)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 05:10:28 PM »
WOW Geronimo, so you have been a Broadway Producer! That's brilliant!

I've trodden on the boards but only in amateur dramatics - a family friend of ours writes musicals and he also used to be our Head Master at school so we did a few musicals at school. Last year he put on a show called 'Yours Sincerely' which was about WW2, a brilliant love story and a tribute to those who lived through that time. It just so happened that it was on the week of the 60th anniversary of the end of WW2 so it was very fitting... I also sing in church and love it!

BTW jugdish, I love Seinfeld, nice one!

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 05:16:01 PM »
Broadway muscials in community and semi pro theatre not the actual Broadway.And only as a producer not a performer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 05:21:57 PM »
Don't be modest Geronimo Jackson - that is still fantastic in my opinion!

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 05:29:18 PM »
Good topic, PLP. :)

I've always been a fan of Greek mythology, and I find myself a curious person, so I thought it suits me well.  I've been using the handle on forums and IM, and figured I might as well continue using it here.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 05:33:49 PM »
It fits you pandora you open a lot of boxes and clue  us into new insights :)

Offline jordangr7

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 08:40:11 PM »
mine is because my first names jordan and my last name starts with gr and 7 is my favorite number and because im not clever enough to come up with something different...i was gonna do laxplayer7... cuz i play lacrosse but i didnt think this was the place for that

Offline OLLY-wood

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 09:10:01 PM »
my name is Oliver... but there's more to it... remind me to post the rest and modify this post...

and here it is!

I was in Grade 11 Night School for math with a bunch of hot girls.  Our teacher, Mr. Czeh, was a gentleman with a heavy European accent that I admired a great bunch. 

(as an aside, imagine my surprise that the one day I was sick for class he asked the whole class what they thought about me - and he told them that I was a genius!  That is furthest from the truth, but for some how some reason even though I was struggling just a bit in that class I got perfect on a test that the rest of the class failed!)

Now that I'm done stroking my ego, back to the story.

One of the hot girls was gonna ask me for some help but she didn't know my name.  She kept on calling out to "Hollywood" and I paid no attention unbeknownst to me that she was addressing me.

Finally she tapped me on the shoulder saying that she was calling me but I didn't hear my name... "you're Hollywood, aren't you?" and I was like, "WTF?"

We got around to talking and it seems the way my teacher kept pronouncing my name it sounded very much like "Hollywood/Holiver"... unfortunately, that name was already taken by some other dude at school and I told her that.

She asked me my real name and I told her it was Oliver... she then started calling me "OLLY-wood" for the rest of the term. (I love it when hot girls give you pet names!)

Word about this got around to work, where it became a certain inside joke and said with a certain tone... "AH LEEEEEE WOOOOOOOOOOD!"

because I was somehow forced to work overnight shifts every weekend during this time... the overnight shift then started to be called the OLLY-wood shift...

Oliver BECAME OLLY-wood... it was a mentality, a state of mind... synonymous with hard work, effort, and a general state of lunacy...

OLLY-wood... it's where you want to be...

PS... much to my dismay, there is a real life Olly Wood... he's a movie director.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 01:58:57 PM by OLLY-wood »

Offline demra

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 09:16:55 PM »
Mine comes from way back when I played D&D
It is armed spelled backwards
 ;D

Offline jordangr7

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 09:34:50 PM »
wait olly, let me guess... hmm         so when u were little ure nickname was olly, as in oliver, and then u were like wow... theres a place called hollywood where theres lots of famous people, and then u were like cool, olly rhymes with holly!!! and then if u replace holly, with olly, you get.........drumrollllll... ollywood hooray!

im sorry, its probably a cool story, better than my sorry name

CWool5

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 10:22:06 PM »
mine is cause my first names courtney and some people call me wool or wooly and my lax numbers 5 pretty boring and lame though but the best i could come up with

Offline HurleysGirl

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 01:02:38 AM »
Not sure I even need to post in here - but since this is my 100th - I just Loooooooves Hurley! 

P.S. Don't tell my fiancee!