Author Topic: So, what does your name mean?  (Read 67917 times)

Offline prometheus

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Re: So, what does your name mean?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 02:00:04 AM »
Gotta love the Mithology
Wikapedia dose it better than I can so heres a snippit fron them
Prometheus, a Titan was a son of Iapetus by Clymene (one of the Oceanids). He was a brother of Atlas, Menoetius, and Epimetheus. He surpassed all in cunning and deceit. He held no awe for the gods, and he ridiculed Zeus and Zeus's lack of insight. Prometheus was the creator of man. When he and Epimetheus (hindsight) set out to make creatures to populate the earth under the orders of Zeus, Epimetheus went with quantity and made many creatures, endowing them with many gifts that were alloted to the brother for that purpose (fur, claws, wings, and fins were some of these gifts). While his brother was making creatures, Prometheus was carefully crafting a creature after the shape of the gods. It was a human. However, Prometheus took so long in crafting his masterpiece that when he was finished, Epimetheus had already used up all the gifts from Zeus. Prometheus was sorry for his creations, and watched as they shivered in the cold winter nights. He decided to steal fire from the gods. He climbed Olympus and stole fire from the chariot of Helios (or, in later mythology, Apollo). He carried the fire back in the stalk of a fennel plant, which burns slowly and so was appropriate for this task. Thus mankind was warm. To appease Zeus, Prometheus told the humans to burn offerings to the gods. He killed a great bull for this purpose. When the gods smelled the offerings, Prometheus decided to play a trick on the gods. The meat he hid beneath a layer of bone and sinew, whilst the bones he disguised with delicious-looking fat. He then offered Zeus his choice of "meat" for the gods to eat. Zeus picked the plate of bones, and Prometheus took the plate of meat for himself and the mortals. To punish Prometheus for this hubris (and all of mankind in the process), Zeus took fire away from the earth.
To get revenge on Prometheus for this further offense, Zeus had Hephaestus (Vulcan) make a woman made of clay named Pandora. Zeus brought her to life and sent her to Prometheus, along with a jar with all the valuable presents she had received from the gods in it. Prometheus was suspicious and would have nothing to do with Pandora, claiming that she was foolish (lacking foresight), and she was sent on to Epimetheus, who married her.
Zeus was further enraged by Prometheus's escape and had Prometheus carried to mount Caucasus, where a vulture or an eagle named Ethon (offspring of the monsters Typhon and Echidna) would eat out his liver; it would grow back each day and the eagle would eat it again. This punishment was to last 30,000 years. About 30 years into the punishment, Heracles, passing by on his way to find the apples of the Hesperides as part of the Twelve Labours, freed Prometheus by shooting the eagle with an arrow. Zeus did not mind this time that Prometheus had again evaded his punishment, as the act brought more glory to Heracles, who was Zeus's son. Prometheus was invited to return to Olympus, though he still had to carry with him the rock that he was chained to.
As the introducer of fire and inventor of sacrifice he is seen as the patron of human civilization.

Offline DevilishinVA

• Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 04:40:16 AM »
I'm a huge Duke Blue Devils fan (of the basketball team) and I live in VA, hence devilishinva. I use the same name at other LOST sites also, as well as some other non-LOST sites. But over at the fuselage, my name is Boone'sGhost, because I made that up after Boone died. Then I was going to change it to BSGhost for Boone & Shannon, since I'm a B & S fan(notice my avatar & sig). But was like "thats not going to work". Don't visit the fuselage that much anymore so I'll probably leave it as is. I found a great couple on the web and they made the avatar & sig I use and some other ones. Now that explained my avatar & sig too.

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 09:25:17 AM »
Cool, prometheus, yes, I noticed your name. :)  I actually have a version of the whole myth on my homepage also.

I'm a huge Duke Blue Devils fan (of the basketball team) and I live in VA, hence devilishinva.

Blue Devils fan, no way Devilish... AWESOME!   I am a HUGE Cameron Crazy myself!!  Plus, around these parts (DC area, surrounded by other ACC teams), dukies are not well loved (well, they aren't in many parts of the country, I'm sure you know the feeling).  But I drove once 6 hrs to go see a game, and that was when they won the big dance in 02, I think.  I'm no fair weather fan, since they aren't doing that hot lately and there are other teams that are more popular around where I'm living now... just a loyal fan. :)  When I was growing up, I hung out with a Hurley cousin, and got to meet Bobby & Danny & their dad, who coaches h.s. b-ball in NJ, and though I never went to Duke except for a short summer program, I still root for them like a nut.  :D   I guess Duke is like me... people usually have a strong opinion, either love it or hate it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 09:30:23 AM by PandoraX »

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 10:54:52 AM »
i'm a ladybug collector of sorts.  (I've outgrown most of it)  I've used ladybug as my nick for just about every website i've ever been on and my im's.  anyway, not a very exciting story, but there you go.

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 06:16:24 PM »
It fits you pandora you open a lot of boxes and clue  us into new insights :)

Thanks... that and I unleash evils upon the world...  :P

Ladybug, I love your avatar... whenever I see it, I think "Jack caught in the net again"...LOL!

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 07:54:58 PM »
Well please don't unleash your "evils" here Pandora :)

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 10:57:03 PM »
It fits you pandora you open a lot of boxes and clue  us into new insights :)

Thanks... that and I unleash evils upon the world...  :P

Ladybug, I love your avatar... whenever I see it, I think "Jack caught in the net again"...LOL!

Thats one ugly picture of Jack. I don't want to know what you think of Kate :)

Offline Cardacct

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 04:16:27 AM »
my name is Oliver... but there's more to it... remind me to post the rest and modify this post...

This is the reminder to post the rest and modify that post.

Also, I want to say what I always think about when I see your name:

#1 - Oliver
#2 - Sounds like Hollywood
#3 - Name of quidditch player from Harry Potter (sort of - it was Oliver Wood)

Offline Pandora

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 10:49:43 AM »

Thats one ugly picture of Jack. I don't want to know what you think of Kate :)

LOL, actually I think Evie (Kate) is quite beautiful, I'd never offend her like that.   ;D I like to poke some fun at Jack-o because he makes the dumbest decisions on the show sometimes... objectively, I'm not gonna argue that he's a bad looking man.

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 11:07:08 AM »
You do have question who jack trusts and doesent trust.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 11:33:02 AM »

I didn't even think about that when I put it on!  But now that's what I'll always think!!  LOL  :D

Thanks for the complement!  At least you didn't wonder if it was a pic of myself!

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 12:23:46 PM »
You do have question who jack trusts and doesent trust.

not jsut whom he trusts and whom he deosn't but what the heck he's thinking,for really no reason,let's form an army,on his way to get guns,stops and plays poker, takes his time going back to hatch, believes Henry stops Sayid from hurting him anymore then believes Michael goes back to being ballistic, , let's get em mode.

Offline lostfromthestart

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 12:33:56 PM »
Simply been watching lost from the start... the first moment when jack opened his eye... and began surfing the web for sites to gain insights and meanings.  Found our man sledge when he was brand new but only viewed for longest time.  But now I be a red shirt and and growing in stature amongst my peers.

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 12:45:18 PM »
Yeah you are Lost from the Start posting whore :)
I surfed around a lot of web sites and some were so stupid and clique, with no knowledge of what was really going on on LOST, what got me hooked and to stay with Sledge was his Investigations page.

Offline Ladybug

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 12:46:23 PM »
what got me hooked and to stay with Sledge was his Investigations page.

ditto!!