Author Topic: Walt's Salvation  (Read 5436 times)

Offline mollyh

• Background Extra
    • View Profile
Walt's Salvation
« on: May 18, 2006, 09:54:41 PM »
I'm not a parent but an aunt. I would like to think  that I do anything to save my nieces/nephews? Though I can't say that I would kill for them (I'm not so sure). What would y'all do?

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Walt's Salvation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 11:20:07 PM »
I have two kids and it would be a difficult decision. Why Michael couldn't just talk to his fellow losties and come up with a plan? It didn't have to be their way or no Walt. Use your imagination!

Offline Pandora

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 11:34:01 PM »
Well, I think a lot of folks could understand the mentality to kill for their kids.  But that in itself doesn't really excuse some of Michael's actions as being reasonable or smart, IMO...  mostly because it just doesn't make much sense to trust that the Others will honor their word after they get the 4 on the list (they seem to clearly have other plans for Walt, by the number of tests they are running).  Michael's setting himself up for betrayel, I think.  For me, it's not even about the moral issue, as it is about the logical one... he has 40+ people that are willing to go to war with him, and think up other plans; he has other options.  In hostage negotiations, there's never a guarantee that cooperating with kidnappers ensures a child's safety.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 11:36:38 PM by PandoraX »

Offline jugdish

• Dharma VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 11:40:49 PM »
Pandy I agree with you 100%. His choices where misguided and almost certainly won't get Walt back. His best choice was to come clean and ask for help from the losties. Instead he killed (Anna) who would of been very helpful to him getting Walt back. The best he can hope for is living in the tent village with Walt, and I don't believe they would even allow that.

Offline BurkRoyer

• In the Loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 05:12:23 PM »
I never did get why Micheal had to kill them either.  Why didn't he give the gun to Henry and let him Kill Ana Lucie... 

And did he ever explain how Henry escaped, then only shot him in the shoulder, and shot Ana Lucie just sitting there on the couch (without an apparent stuggle!!!)  Under what scenario could Henry have possibly shot Micheal in the cell then came out and shot Ana Lucie sitting on the couch???  Ana Lucie would have at least tried to save herself!!!!!

The writers are making the Losties look really stupid...

Offline PurpleLostPrincess

• DHARMA Work Man (or Woman)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 11:04:42 AM »
I completely agree too, his best choice would be to come clean to the losties, especially considering Jack went up into the jungle to 'the line' to swap Fenry for Michael or Walt. We could have avoided this whole mess but then that's what it's all about!

There's generally a point at the beginning of a film where if somebody responded in a different way, the rest of the film wouldn't happen and everything would be OK!

As a Mum of two, yes I would do anything for my children including lay my life down for them. I have never thought about whether I would kill for them however. IMO Michael is going about it in the wrong way but then I'm sure I'm not the only one and he has been through a whole lot and has almost lost Walt once already...

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 03:40:42 PM »
I wouldn'tkilll though

Jungle otter

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 02:10:14 PM »
Michael is going to be betrayed...Walt appears to be important to the Others, as mentioned above and I agree. True, who would he tell? And if he did, then the people he tells would learn what he did....

There were options available - Sayid, Ana, Sawyer, Locke, Eko (tho those two were in their own personal battle) - weapons could be fashioned from the island itself...and they had the dynamite - tho it is unstable, you could bury it on the trail with something to spark over it, lead the Others to you and BOOM! (crude land mine - actually had them in our Civil War-powder kegs with pressure plates above it, made a spark that set off the powder)...options, but he took the "easy" way out....we'll see how that works for him

Offline Geronimo Jackson

• DHARMA Scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 12:21:57 AM »
Michael is going to be betrayed...Walt appears to be important to the Others, as mentioned above and I agree. True, who would he tell? And if he did, then the people he tells would learn what he did....

There were options available - Sayid, Ana, Sawyer, Locke, Eko (tho those two were in their own personal battle) - weapons could be fashioned from the island itself...and they had the dynamite - tho it is unstable, you could bury it on the trail with something to spark over it, lead the Others to you and BOOM! (crude land mine - actually had them in our Civil War-powder kegs with pressure plates above it, made a spark that set off the powder)...options, but he took the "easy" way out....we'll see how that works for him

death death death